The Review Game
News: We have a new For Fun thread called Chain Story! Go crazy with it.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 6 13 14 15 16 17 .. Last Next »

Pfft. I can't answer that. Every story is different, and they are written differently. I'd have to judge what would fit my story the best.

So it’s really not just a matter of ease? Is ease even a significant factor, or, again, is it just a matter of case-per-case?

As to the stalking reviewers: fair enough.

3/3/2009 . Edited 3/3/2009 #451
Fractured Illusion

You want a specific answer from me.

What is it? I can be a parrot for you, because my real answers are seemingly not good enough. Haha.

3/3/2009 #452

I can be a parrot for you, because my real answers are seemingly not good enough.

Apparently not. =P

But who would you deem worthy of parroting?

Ok. Last questions, more out of curiosity than not. If I reviewed something, and I did so critically, do you guys think it would be better if I just PMed the reviews to the authors? Is the purpose of a review to just tell an author what a reader thinks of a story, or is it more to ‘warn’ others of what they might find in a story?

3/3/2009 #453
Chasing Skylines

Ok. Last questions, more out of curiosity than not. If I reviewed something, and I did so critically, do you guys think it would be better if I just PMed the reviews to the authors? Is the purpose of a review to just tell an author what a reader thinks of a story, or is it more to ‘warn’ others of what they might find in a story?

Sadly, some people don't take well to constructive criticism of any sort, review or not, though one could feel a PM cushions the blow. In my opinion, though, I would just review and not PM.

I think the purpose of a review is to tell the author what the reader thinks of a story, or feedback; it's FP's definition. How would it be to 'warn' others? You don't read the reviews when looking for a story, considering sometimes there are none.

3/3/2009 . Edited 3/3/2009 #454
Fractured Illusion

@PM Critical Reviews?

Never.

All reviews are to be posted and submitted as a review. Who cares if it is critical? We are not dealing with babies here. They should know how to handle it.

A review is your thought of the story. Unless you want to ramble about other things that are unrelated to the story: PM. Otherwise: review.

I personally hate getting reviews through PMs because I like to delete PMs. Reviews however are all in one page. Its easy to see, look over etc.

3/3/2009 #455
Nicki BluIs

@ PM reviews:

that is for punks and babies. Does ebert and roeper send the director of a film a private letter to tell them it sux? no! they lay it all where everyone can see! A reveiw gives the author feedback on what is good and what isnt; if they want that feedback privatly thay can show the work to their friends and not post it on a public website

unlike sesshy i actually do read reveiws before I read a work. I ignore the "omg this leik aweseom!! greg is so hawt!! update naow!!!!!!" and the "this shit sux" reveiws. but i focus on the median ones to see what the overall impression of the story is.

3/3/2009 #456

How would it be to 'warn' others? You don't read the reviews when looking for a story, considering sometimes there are none.

I’ve come across people who do read reviews, because they see reviews as the deciding factors of whether or not they should read the story, and I’ve occasionally wished that I had read the reviews of some stories before I had actually wasted time reading through them. Granted, FP isn’t exactly a good site to have reviews-before-stories as a strict policy to follow, as it isn’t just the problem with lack of reviews. I just know of some who have made it a policy.

(They’ll also read stories without reviews if the stories are short. But completely pass by if the stories are longer than three or four chapters, or if the word count is above a certain number.)

All reviews are to be posted and submitted as a review. Who cares if it is critical? We are not dealing with babies here. They should know how to handle it.

Does ebert and roeper send the director of a film a private letter to tell them it sux? no!

True.

Also, thank you for the replies.

3/3/2009 #457
B. J. Winters

@ PM critical reviews

I believe that people post things because they want them read. I tend to be fairly blunt if my opinion is asked for (RG), and a bit more politically correct if I found the story on my own.

I tend to use the review button exclusively. However, I have on occasion sent grammar/spelling issues via PM rather than posting them with a review. It's a bit irritating some times to see a review that points out typos rather than critical aspects of the story - and those should be fixed quickly (even between true edits), rather than annoying another reader. That applies to readers of reviews.

Personally, I prefer reviews to PMs. It makes it easier to find when I'm ready to make edits if I know where to find a "by chapter" commentary. PMs hit my general email and it's not just fiction press content there.

3/10/2009 . Edited 3/10/2009 #458
The Ferrett

@PM reviews.

Only as a last resort. Only if someone edits and you want to submit a second review.

3/12/2009 #459
Fractured Illusion

@New Topic: Do bad reviews exist?

Is there such a thing as a bad review?

Flames do not count. And we will of course assume the person is being honest because otherwise it's kind of counter-productive.

Is it a bad review just because it is short?

Is it a bad review because it did not elaborate on some flaws but did mention them?

Is it a bad review to just say they liked it, please update?

etc.

-

I personally don't think it's that easy to find a bad review. Not truly. Even if they say something completely insane (:p) like "you should implement more adverbs into the story to make it more alive", it is still their opinion. And it also points out the person thought the writing was flat, so even if their method isn't desired, you could find another way to make it more 3-D.

(Also:

Is a review synonymous to constructive criticism to you?

Or do you think they should/want them to be synonymous?)

5/16/2009 . Edited 5/16/2009 #460
coolstufferik

Reviewing is not an easy task and I am too bad at that. Do you think you are always right while reviewing someone or some product? I hope no one wants to end up misguiding people.

5/22/2009 #461
Fractured Illusion

I think people should always believe in what they are saying. It's another matter if they misguide or not. Ultimately, it is the authors responsibility to figure out what needs to be done to improve their story. Reviewers are just one of many tools. You can't blame them.

5/23/2009 #462
lipleaf

"I'm really bad at that whole 'being nice' thing. Unless it's obvious the writer is pretty young.

Seconded.

That's why I try to give as much valuable concrit as I can, as compensation for my lack of empathy ^^; I see it as a fair trade, at least."

If it's good enough, you don't have to fake being nice.

By the way, how young counts as young? You aren't supposed to be posting on this site if you're under thirteen...

6/7/2009 . Edited 6/7/2009 #463
MikiSweety

If it's good enough, you don't have to fake being nice.

By the way, how young counts as young? You aren't supposed to be posting on this site if you're under thirteen...

To be honest with you, I don't think some people actually follow that rule. xD I know I didn't when I first started (don't worry, I qualify now). I think, however, that if you're willing to post on this site, you should prepare for flames, constructive criticism, and reviews from those who obviously only want a review back. If you are't ready, you shouldn't be on here, no matter your age. This is, after all, a place to share work and receive feedback.

Of course not everyone will be smart enough to prepare themselves. If you somehow hurt someone's feelings, what can you do but move on? Perhaps one day they will thank you. (Personal story: When I first started, I post a horrendously bad story on here. Someone commented "Honestly, your character is displaying all the traits of a sociopath. I hope that is what you intended." I literally cried and complained for days, then realized the truth of that and fix it up. So yes, it does happen.) I've never actually been accused of giving a flame, though. I think I'm now currently at a place where I can give decent reviews, but I really only bother when there's something I especially want to comment on. Most of the time, if it's bad, I can't finish and therefore can't review.

For reviews that I get, I split theminto three categories. The "bad reviews" (the ones who obviously did not read my story), the "constructive reviews" (where the reviewer tears my story to pieces. It does not have to be devoid of compliments, but it certainly has a lot of suggestions) and the "encouraging review" (mostly compliments. One liners. Not especially helpful but certainly puts a smile on my face).

There are very few that actually qualify as "bad reviews", because I'm always grateful that someone actually took the time to give me a review. I get plenty of hits and clicks, but so little reviews that the reviewers already have lots of points in their favor, regardless of the content of their review... though of course, I'm always especially grateful to good, long reviews.

6/17/2009 . Edited 6/17/2009 #464
gigglebug

-- OT --

bananas.

:D

-- /OT --

7/14/2009 #465
dragonflydreamer

@Ages and such:

I do adjust my reviews a bit by age.

If they're under thirteen, I show little sympathy to them. I mostly encounter this on FFN, where I bluntly tell them that they need to actually read the rules before agreeing to them. Here, I will usually say that as well, but I might give them an actual comment on the story. It takes more guts to post here, especially when you're young, so I at least give them something for that.

From there, I don't exactly go by age, but maturity level and writing experience. If it's an extremely cliched high school romance-type story with description lacking so much it might as well be a script, I will go easy on them but still lace some concrit in. I figure they're more likely to take the concrit to heart if I'm not blasting it at them.

Anywhere beyond that, I just give my honest opinion, positive or negative, and assume people can take it if they chose to post their work here.

7/31/2009 #466
dragonflydreamer

@bad reviews:

I pretty much agree with what other people have said. While concrit and ego-stroking are like drugs to me (hehe XD), something as simple as "I liked it! Hope you continue it!" at least lets me know that people are actually reading. Any review (except flames, or at least the majority of them) is better than nothing.

The only thing I'd classify as a "bad review" are when it's clear that people didn’t read at all or are just advertising for themselves.

i.e. "Cool! Your characters are so funny! Hope you update soon!" (On an angst oneshot)

”Awesome now read my story "Blah" lulz."

7/31/2009 #467
Fractured Illusion

The only thing I'd classify as a "bad review" are when it's clear that people didn’t read at all or are just advertising for themselves.

The latter makes me so mad even if it is not a review on my story or a story of someone I know. It's just rude and disrespectful. If FP had such a feature as karma-points administrated by the members, I'd make that douche get -100 or something :/

8/1/2009 #468
gigglebug

--OT--

I don't want this topic to get buried XD

--/OT--

9/16/2009 #469
Dulcina

I admit that there are times when I loosely base my review/feedback, regardless of the subject, on other people's reviews, if any, to simply lessen the magnitude of my blow. There are times when I've gone through reviews (not exclusively about one's writing; I include everything that can be commented on) and it was blatantly visible that the reviewers were holding back from flat-out crushing one's work into little pieces for the sake of empathy and tact. In that case I usually leave a nondescript but encouraging review while subtly hinting to watch out for a PM from me, herein which I would elaborately point out each and every mistake committed along with a suggestion on how to improve/rectify them. I would only approve of such a cumbersome task granted that the piece is absolutely pathetic but the creator has potential to do better, and that it seems as though whatever negative comment given would only add to the creator's humiliation.

Pertaining to this I come to my next point. As a 14-year old 10th grader, would I be subjected to brutal prejudice here regarding writing skills? A better question would be, is it justified to scrutinize my comments simply because of my age, which only stems to the belief that I am younger and therefore lack the wisdom and experience to be taken seriously? I may sound bratty here but believe me when I say I'm genuinely curious. I am aware of the fact that I do not have the amount of experience and wisdom older people tend to have, but is it valid to state on those grounds alone that I should obviously be biased and narrow-minded, and that my feedback should only be considered as pointless and demeaning?

Once again, I'm trying to say that such questions have only generated due to my pure curiosity about this topic. I do not intend to start an argument here. Also, I've actually come across this lack of consideration to my reviews before.

9/17/2009 . Edited 9/17/2009 #470
Fractured Illusion

Pertaining to this I come to my next point. As a 14-year old 10th grader, would I be subjected to brutal prejudice here regarding writing skills?

Not really. Unless someone is under 13 years old (which isn't allowed on FP), I personally don't care about age. Writing is writing, and I will judge the writing, not the age. I can't speak for everyone though, will be interesting to hear what others think. Perhaps I am too single minded, but I like to keep things simple.

A better question would be, is it justified to scrutinize my comments simply because of my age, which only stems to the belief that I am younger and therefore lack the wisdom and experience to be taken seriously?

Again, personally I don't care about age. Readers are readers. I can't discredit someone's opinion because they are not my age. I don't think I've ever actually thought "oh well, what does she know, she's just 13!" if I receive criticism. What matters is if the concrit makes sense. Criticism can hold ground no matter the age.

I don't think you should worry. There are many, many people your age here on FP. :p

9/17/2009 #471
Starleaf

Pertaining to this I come to my next point. As a 14-year old 10th grader, would I be subjected to brutal prejudice here regarding writing skills?

I don't think so. You actually surprised me with your age; your writing style is very sophisticated with a fairly polished vocabulary. So, unless you blatantly state (on your profile or otherwise) that you're 14, I don't think anyone would even know. But if you're like me and you prefer people to know who you are, how old you are, where you stand and etc, I honestly don't think your age will deter even the people who DO believe that nothing substantial can come from a young teen. Because even some of the more ignorant people out there realize that your writing is a better indicator of your age (maturity wise) than your biological age is of your writing and its content. It makes sense if you were able to follow my banter, haha.

Another important thing that we realize here on FP (at least those of us who know ANYTHING about writing) is that you have to start from somewhere, so most people probably wouldn't judge you (or at least wouldn't be justifiable in doing so, to answer your following question a bit more clearly). I'm 19, myself, and when I was your age my writing was pretty embarassing, to the point where I permanently deleted it and I have no scraps of it left, though I sort of wish I did to see how much I've improved.

A better question would be, is it justified to scrutinize my comments simply because of my age, which only stems to the belief that I am younger and therefore lack the wisdom and experience to be taken seriously?

I think your work (and comments) will actually be valued MORE than a lot of the work out there on this site, because the site has sadly become ridden with Twilight knockoffs and high school dramas that are written solely for the purpose of pleasing the masses (hence why some of these works have like 500+ reviews). I don't even mean to demean these works, seeing as I've written some myself for the pure fun of it, but my point is that those looking for someone with something intelligent to say will be more likely drawn toward you and your writing than to a twenty five year old just having fun.

9/17/2009 . Edited 9/17/2009 #472
Starleaf

Unless someone is under 13 years old (which isn't allowed on FP), I personally don't care about age.

Why would they restrict the site to 13 and up when we have ratings prior to "T"? That's a little weird.

9/17/2009 #473
Fractured Illusion

Well, people at any age can still read and stuff, and people have individual thresholds. I guess that's why. But I agree, it's kinda weird.

9/17/2009 #474
Dulcina

@Fract: Haha, I don't think I'd ever let go of the notion regarding experience. Not that it'd actually dissuade me since the people who know me have always described me as a vain creature. :P I know, it's sad.

@Star: Your approval's made me feel so bashful. Thank you for your kind words! I hope my new English teacher feels likewise upon grading my paper. Jejeje. :D Also, referring to maturity levels, mine is the result of roaming around the net for more than 3 years. Bah, I'm such a bad, naughty kid. I reckon it's because I've been corrupted to a point where I can be depraved no more. Besides, if you ever decided to have a chat with me, you'd immediately notice the sharp (and mentally agonising) contrast between my writing and my personality as I never tend to be serious.

I was having a particularly somber day, what with the tension of examinations and all - and because my English paper went terribly )': (only 2 more tests to go! Oh goody!), but you guys certainly lifted my spirits! I shall worship you for the next five seconds! Rofl, duly get acquainted with my mean streak now.

Jokes aside,

the site has sadly become ridden with Twilight knockoffs and high school dramas that are written solely for the purpose of pleasing the masses (hence why some of these works have like 500+ reviews).

Now this is a topic that I can ramble on all the way to glory. Anti-Twilight is the new fad for me! If only my friends held the same opinion about the series. They are so immersed in and enthused by it that I don't even have the heart to berate them and claim that the only plausible reason for them to actually read it more than once would be because their vocabulary's limited to such a degree that they might fail to comprehend works of renowned authors such as Sidney Sheldon and Stephen King. But before pointing your fingers at me, do note that they think Sheldon is very boring and they have yet to hear the name of Stephen King (at which point I contemplated bashing my head against a nearby wall, and then cracking their skulls incessantly on a nearby dustbin). But I digress!

The sole idea I could come up with, that could account for the 500+ reviews for a single story is because the reviewers could relate to the author, not to mention all the characters! These high school works filled with melodrama are the epitomes (gosh, how the plural version piques me! ) of hyperbolism. They tend to exaggerate all the daily "tragedies" and "traumatic events" that occur in their otherwise 'liekkk so boring duh!!!one1!!1one!1' lives, and those who share similar interest shower such stories with praises and 'update soon!'s which simply exhibits the non-committal attitude with which stories are written and how trivially they're responded to.

I'd rather go with, "Your work is the ideal example of deformation of literature. I hope somebody shoots a dictionary at you." Instead of, "OMG! liek Edwards is s00 hawt!!1one!1eleven!!11!! dracula iz sooo effin' old & ugleeeh!!11! i totally hope u kill him off!!!! plz update soon OKAY??!!??"

9/17/2009 #475
Starleaf

LOL! This is a bit off topic, but I must say (before anybody targets me as a "hater") that I did enjoy the Twilight series... as a story. Not so much as a form of literature, though her simplistic style can be admired in a lot of ways too. I'm also not obsessive about it, and it's not something I think of on a daily (let alone hourly) basis.

You're hysterical, though. xD I'm glad we made you feel better!

I'd rather go with, "Your work is the ideal example of deformation of literature. I hope somebody shoots a dictionary at you." Instead of, "OMG! liek Edwards is s00 hawt!!1one!1eleven!!11!! dracula iz sooo effin' old & ugleeeh!!11! i totally hope u kill him off!!!! plz update soon OKAY??!!??"

PS--You say that now, but it stings a LOT more than you'd think when you get one of those. I got one of those on FF (not FP) from someone who went by the name Flames Rising or something or other (the guy literally just trolled the site to flame people) and he said something along the lines of me making the English language drop its pants and bend over. It actually really sucked, haha. Especially 'cause I couldn't attribute his flame to his being an illiterate douchebag (pardon the French) or anything like that; it was written coherently, though it lacked any examples or backup.

9/17/2009 #476
Dulcina

Bwahhahaha, no worries! I have a bit of a (read: devastatingly huge) potty mouth as well. XD

I sympathize with you. Flames really do suck hardcore. :(

And I admit, they do bruise my humongous ego heavily. When I said that preference part, I was kind of exaggerating because I sincerely hope that nobody could be malicious enough to leave such remarks and actually mean it! =[ I always regard flames (not that I've gotten any yet, I only just recently posted my first story up! *coughs*Go read it, gosh darn you! j/k*cough* ) with a nonchalant attitude since it's apparent - to me at least - that they're just doing it just for their own pleasure, and because they crave attention. The former being more fundamental.

9/17/2009 #477
Fractured Illusion

that they're just doing it just for their own pleasure, and because they crave attention.

That's an interesting remark, since isn't that what all writers here FP are doing anyway? Writing for their own pleasure, craving some attention (through reviews/faves/hits etc)?

9/17/2009 #478
Starleaf

True, but it's a different kind of attention I think.

The guy I'm talking about made username after username (seeing as he was banned several times) and didn't write anything of his own... he just went around saying terrible things to people. His profile boasted that it was "what he does" and he had a whole forum set up for feedback on his flames and everything. I think that's a little extreme.

9/17/2009 #479
Fractured Illusion

I know who you're talking about. But it seems to me he always did have a point somewhere in his review, making it not a totally worthless review. As an author - you put your pieces up on the site, and you have to be ready to handle any kind of feedback really. That's just how it is.

There are more important things to worry about than "flamers", is all I'm saying.

9/17/2009 #480
« Prev Page 1 .. 6 13 14 15 16 17 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Fractured Illusion Dr. Self Destruct, dragonflydreamer, lookingwest, Lime-Cat, simpleplan13, Imalefty
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member