The Review Game
News: We have a new For Fun thread called Chain Story! Go crazy with it.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 7 14 15 16 17 18 Next »
Starleaf

Yeah I gotcha. And I totally agree. But people can be a little less harsh... especially since there are a LOT of new writers on this site among the seasoned authors, and they can easily be discouraged. If I had gotten that review when I FIRST started writing... it would have probably stopped me for a while. Especially since I was young.

9/17/2009 #481
Dulcina

That's an interesting remark, since isn't that what all writers here FP are doing anyway? Writing for their own pleasure, craving some attention (through reviews/faves/hits etc)?

What I was referring to was that they find pleasure in demeaning other people's endeavours (generally they are endeavours :P). Why? I have no idea. Maybe it's resentment towards the author, or simply personal preference (example: dislikes homosexuality, hence flaming slash stories), or it could be out of jealousy because they know that the author's command over English is far more superior than theirs - then again, I've only come across this type of issue in graphic designing so I don't know if it's the same case with story-writing.

What writers crave is positive feedback whereas flamers do it for the sole purpose of infuriating the author. And if the author does pay attention to them the flamers attempt to bring him/her down by further insulting the story. I think they derive pleasure from another's chagrin.

I'm a bit of a sadist myself but that's only due to the stupidity of the general crowd that knows me. Geez, I sound like I hate the world... o_o *slits wrists with butcher knife and such.*

By the waaaaay, since when have you guys been deviating from the original topic at hand? Or is digression allowed? If yes, then this forum = pwnage! =P

9/17/2009 #482
Starleaf

What writers crave is positive feedback whereas flamers do it for the sole purpose of infuriating the author.

I disagree with this actually. My favorite kind of review is the one that points out my flaws. But I understand what you mean; there's a way to do it.

And if the author does pay attention to them the flamers attempt to bring him/her down by further insulting the story. I think they derive pleasure from another's chagrin.

This is why I continued to post my story after the flame was given. He even reviewed again, surprised that it was still up and basically complaining about it further. It gave me satisfaction to know that I didn't do what he expected me to do, save the angry PM I did succumb to sending him.

I know who you're talking about. But it seems to me he always did have a point somewhere in his review, making it not a totally worthless review.

In my review, I'm pretty sure he didn't have anything constructive to say. He did seem to be competent (basically, literate), though, which is why the review bothered me--it made me believe that the work really wasn't very good. Looking back on it, I can totally see what he meant (it was a slash fanfiction that I really wrote for fun back in high school, not so much to work on my writing... basically what I was saying about the high school dramas and such [which is why I didn't want to necessarily bash them!] but a bit different), but there wasn't anything that was actually constructive or helpful about the review. If anything, the review was more a personal attack against me than my writing. Which is why I didn't consider it to be adequate.

I'm a big girl, I can deal with someone saying that my work is a piece of crap because of A, B, and C. It hurts, but I can deal with it. What I can't deal with is someone wasting my time.

9/18/2009 #483
Starleaf

By the waaaaay, since when have you guys been deviating from the original topic at hand? Or is digression allowed? If yes, then this forum = pwnage! =P

I wouldn't consider this to be off-topic. We're still discussing reviews, no?

That's Frac's call, let's wait and see what she says so we don't drag this on further if it's not allowed. XD

9/18/2009 #484
Fractured Illusion

If anything, the review was more a personal attack against me than my writing. Which is why I didn't consider it to be adequate.

Okay. Yeah that would suck. I thought you meant he was just being harsh hah.

And topic is still about reviews, so I don't see how its OT either...

9/18/2009 #485
Fractured Illusion

Random venting:

Goddamn, why does no one review reply anymore? D=

Ugh.

9/18/2009 #486
Starleaf

I know really. I put a lot of effort into my reviews. More often than not, they're the longest / one of the longer reviews the work has, and it's like, uhh you're welcome. haha.

I always review reply, as long as the review is substantial enough that I have something to say.

9/19/2009 #487
Fractured Illusion

I've stopped putting too much effort into random people's reviews unless their stories are just horrid and they need to know it. It'd just feel like I'd waste too much time otherwise, since people don't review reply (and then - I assume - they don't give a crapshit about the concrit).

I mean, even when I compliment them, no review reply :/ Goddamn.

It's like you'd tell someone in real life (who wanted an opinion) "Yeah Susan, I do think your dress looks awesome!" and then Susan just acts like you don't even exist. Rude. XD

9/21/2009 #488
Kate Marshall

Goddamn, why does no one review reply anymore? D=

+1!

Someone (I didn't know) once asked me to review a particular piece of theirs, and I was bored and feeling generous, so I did. My review was like a freaking page long on her (lame) essay, and I never heard from her. Ever.

How hard is a "thanks"? Really, people.

Even if someone just quotes a line from my piece and says "love that", I still review reply. Common courtesy, FP-users!

9/25/2009 #489
Kate Marshall

It's like you'd tell someone in real life (who wanted an opinion) "Yeah Susan, I do think your dress looks awesome!" and then Susan just acts like you don't even exist. Rude. XD

Well, screw you, Susan!

XP

9/25/2009 . Edited 9/25/2009 #490
Fractured Illusion

Yeah, from now on, all ungrateful FP bitches who don't review reply are named Susan. Woot! XD

How hard is a "thanks"? Really, people.

Even if someone just quotes a line from my piece and says "love that", I still review reply. Common courtesy, FP-users!

And I completely agree about review replying even for the littlest of reviews. I do that too. XD

One day...the RG summary shall be review reply related XD

9/25/2009 #491
Kate Marshall

Yeah, from now on, all ungrateful FP bitches who don't review reply are named Susan. Woot! XD

HAH. Take that, Susans!

9/25/2009 #492
writingpistachio

Dude. Feel so bad for all Susans now. Does anyone know a Susan? It's such a one-of-those-names name that it's like.... finding someone named Mary Jane, or Bob Johnson (although I did once have a teacher named Bruce Johnson who had a mustache and hair the shade of this this paper that I'm holding up right now and enjoyed demonstrating 'anti-bullying' talks with pretending to hit us with metre sticks. Always accompanied by a "thwack!", might I add).

Can someone *cringe, cringe, cringe, cringe, wince, cringe* tell me how to do that reply little rectangular object?

(* cringe*)

Stop giving me those incredulous stares!! XD

11/8/2009 #493
Sercus Kaynine

You mean a quote? Highlight what you want to quote, and go to the little "styles" box in the reply screen. Pick "quote". Voila.

11/8/2009 #494
Chasing Skylines

And it's actually not necessary to highlight.

11/8/2009 #495
writingpistachio

Thanks, guys! I now feel like only half a noob. =]

11/8/2009 #496
Fractured Illusion

Does anyone know a Susan?

This site mostly consists of Susans

;_;

11/8/2009 #497
gigglebug

(un-burying-the-topic spam)

1/22/2010 #498
writingpistachio

THERE ARE SUSANS HERE!? *looks around wildly* I feel surrounded. By Susans. Its kind of funny how anyone names their kids Susan anymore. At least, __ years ago. ... No offense, Susans in the world. But Susan... is just one o' them thangs.

/rambling

I feel bad about, after a perfectly effective unburying-topic spam, not leaving SOME sort of incoherent blahrb.

1/22/2010 #499
Nicki BluIs

good reviews are usually the ones you don't expect (spamming for the virgin)

1/22/2010 #500
Nicki BluIs

mmmmm virgin is nice :)

/OT

1/22/2010 #501
gigglebug

(unburying the topic spam.)

:)

/OT

4/25/2010 #502
gigglebug

it got buried again XD

/OT

7/7/2010 #503
Corinna Tate

On reviews:

I'm learning a lot from writing for this site and the fanfiction site. But still I crave reviews! I don't care if they're critical or even flamers who've read my work (I haven't gotten any flames yet.) I need to know people are reading, and the traffic isn't enough since this site is three days behind on updating for some reason?!!! When I read a story, if the writer's put any effort into it, I feel obligated to review; because I would want the same consideration. Do unto others and all that. I have written critical reviews, and I appreciate when someone takes the time to tell me what's wrong or right with my own stories. I usually fall back to 'please find a beta to help you correct your grammar and fix your issue with (tense, POV, continuity, word choices, clarity, etc.) so that your story works out the way you want it."

I don't pull punches with obviously new or young writers. But I think they need an equal amount of encouragement, since writing is a learning process. Above all, I try not to be rude. You don't have to flame someone to get a point across. I've reviewed someone who's story was under a forum topic "Worst Stories Ever!" and they had dozens of horrible flaming reviews, and deservedly so. But still I gave a polite review, gently stating what others had said, but without the drama. (one reviewer actually told them they hoped they would die!) Interestingly, some of the flamers criticizing the grammar made grammar mistakes themselves, which I found delightfully funny.

The only stories I don't review are those who have hundreds of praises, and the story is....weak. Those stories make me want to cry as so many great, original, well-written works languish in obscurity in favor of these twittering Mary Sue's. If I don't really like a story, I'll simply say something along the lines of 'not my cup of tea,' or 'good luck as you continue.'

As a writer, my least favorite reviews aren't the short 'loved it, update soon' kind, though they get my hopes up for nothing. I at least like that they took the second to let me know they're reading and like what I've written. The ones that get me most are those that criticize me for not writing the story they wanted to read! It happens quite a bit in Fanfiction and those make me want to hunt them down and smack them hard! I don't read minds, and I can only write the story that's in MY head! Instead of criticizing, these folks need to write their own!

I once saw someone with a promise on their profile to write a review to every story they read. They read mine and DID NOT REVIEW!! I don't make such promises, but I think if I have anything at all I can say, I'll post it, especially if the story is new and hasn't had a review. Sometimes readers are afraid to be the first review. I can't imagine being afraid of offending someone with a review. As a writer I will work hard to address what my readers flag as problems. I like knowing if they pick up on the foreshadowing, or see plot twists coming, and I am pleased when I can see they've fallen for my misdirection.

Okay in a nutshell; review please!! It's not the reason we write, but it's the reason we post here!

7/16/2010 #504
gigglebug

well, my question isn't about reviews so much as review replies...

when you review, what counts as "okay" for a reply? most of the time I don't because I don't know what to say (I'm getting better, though XD ).

most of the time if it's something with edits, I say something about that, and that I'm glad they liked it.

7/30/2010 #505
Sercus Kaynine

I almost always reply with a standard 'thanks and glad you liked it", and throw in something specific. Like, if they commented on descriptions say thanks, no one's noticed that before or whatever.

7/30/2010 #506
lianoid

I have a somewhat strange review reply policy. I'll reply to every review given on Shadows, but with poetry and my other works, I'll only reply when someone has a question or is praising me to high hell. I just really don't have the time to, unfortunately. Plus, it helps me keep track with edits; every time I reply to a review, I'll make notes about their criticisms and edits so I can fix it later.

In the replies that I do give, though, I always say thanks. If they criticized something and weren't specific, I'll ask them to elaborate. If I disagree with something... I've learned not to include anything I'm too passionate about or made me have a strong emotional response to. I try to keep them informal and gracious.

8/13/2010 #507
gigglebug

good call, guys :D

I'm getting better! slowly... XD

9/9/2010 #508
lianoid

What makes a good review? One word: specifics.

11/29/2010 #509
lookingwest

Speaking of review replies, I'm going to try this new tactic where I fix any mistake that any reader has with the story immediately or the day of receiving the review. We'll see. XD, it's been good so far though *thumbs up*

11/29/2010 #510
« Prev Page 1 .. 7 14 15 16 17 18 Next »
Forum Moderators: Fractured Illusion Dr. Self Destruct, dragonflydreamer, lookingwest, Lime-Cat, simpleplan13, Imalefty
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member