The Review Game
News: We have a new For Fun thread called Chain Story! Go crazy with it.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 .. Last Next »
dragonflydreamer

Wow, talk about irony. It appears that I have received my first FP flame *mock tears of joy*

I decided to read a bunch of your ** but it really ** sucks, so I'm not going to. Learn some GRAMMAR! And to read over what you type, because DAMN, how did you miss the missing R in the title of this. "Bith" I really don't like the idea of this, either.Ah well, at least it had something useful. I needed a good laugh, too :)

11/10/2008 #151
Fractured Illusion

@Returning Reviews

Do you guys return reviews? Someone reviewed you (outside of RG), what do you?

Talking regarding when I used to have stories, at first I usually returned reviews. But then as I grew more accustomed to FP and all its residents, I grew reluctant to returning reviews, because apparently, some people find it offensive. Not to mention my reviews themselves sometimes upset haha.

I took down my stuff though, so now I just chill XD

How about you guys?

12/24/2008 #152
Chasing Skylines

About Returning Reviews

Hmm, I usually at least take a look at their profile, and if any story catches my interest, I'll review. But, if they continue reviewing my whole story/continuing chapters, I'll feel guilty if I don't at least give one review back. So usually I'll return reviews.

12/24/2008 . Edited 12/24/2008 #153
karma-dollie

Hah! I first I thought you meant replying to reviews, which is a simple answer. Just about always.

As for returning reviews, I don't think you should feel obligated to review in return for a review. I don't. It's nice, sure, but not necessary. If someone has something I might like to take a look at, then I'll review it, but if not, I'll just thank the person in the reply like I usually do and go about my business.

Sounds harsh, doesn't it? Oops.

12/24/2008 #154
Nicki BluIs

I do but within limits. I dont return anon review (duh). I dont return RG reviews. And i dont return reviews from friends (or internet pals). Like Sesshy gave me my most recent non RG review but I just thnked him in the OT. so i havent had to return review in a looooong time

BUT ill admit i have a really underhanded reason for returning reviews: i didnt know about review reply AND i used it as a n opp t advertise my story to the other ppl reviewing that person: id say somethin like "thanks so much for reviewing TTYL. I'm glad you like it. I'll take your comments into consideration. I thought i'd return the favor... and continue to give the review. i kno. im bad :(

12/24/2008 #155
Carus

@ returning reviews

I always review reply (unless they're anonymous, duuh) but I normally don't return review unless I'm in a good/productive/bored mood, haha. And I never ever review people that add 'will you review my blahblah story please? It's really good!' on the end of the review, because come on, that's just sort of nearly offensive. ESPECIALLY if the review is shorter than the review request.

So bubbles, don't ever do that to me, haha. BAD idea.

1/11/2009 #156
Fractured Illusion

And I never ever review people that add 'will you review my blahblah story please? It's really good!'

I never do that either.

That's just lame. PM me about that kinda crap, dude. Don't beg in a review to MOI!

1/11/2009 #157
Kyllorac

I hate those requests. -_- If they request, I do not read, unless they were recommending a story that they thought I might enjoy/was very similar to the story they reviewed. But that type of recommendation usually happens during the course of a PM conversation.

1/11/2009 #158
dragonflydreamer

@ Returning Review

I try to return all of the reviews I receive, so whenever I get I review I keep the notification e-mail in my inbox. But I don't get back to them for a while, so I usually mass review all the ones I saved up about a month later ^^;

However, I don't return RG reviews (unless they didn't count in the RG. Then I treat them like normal reviews) or anon (duh), and, like Kylie, I don't return "kewl story!!! plz r&r mine lolz!!!!!11." But I do take such requests in PMs.

1/11/2009 #159
Kyllorac

Yeah. I generally don't reply to RG reviews, except when they point out something that I missed that was really big, in which case I gush to them my endless adoration of their reviewing skills. :P

1/14/2009 #160
Fractured Illusion

Sparked by some backreading in the OT:

@Do you think it's okay to fav/alert someone's story but not review?

Do you do it? Are you fine with people doing it? Do you think it's encouraging or not fulfilling enough?

1/24/2009 #161
dragonflydreamer

@Fav/Alert with no review

Personally, it bugs the heck out of me. It obviously says that the person read my work and liked it, but I'd like to know why they liked it. Even if they wrote something like "Kewl! It was so cute :3 Plz update lulz!!!!!!!1" it would at least give me some idea of what I should work with.

Needless to say, I never do it.

1/24/2009 #162
Narc

Eh. I would prefer if they at least dropped a review at the end, but it doesn't bug me that much. I think over half of the people who fav/alert my stories have never reviewed. To be fair, however, many of those are people who are only on fictionpress to read other peoples' stories. While I use fictionpress in order to get feedback, I can't be annoyed if someone is just reading my story because the enjoy it.

1/24/2009 #163
Carus

I prefer it when people review, obviously, to get feedback on why they liked it. But I think it's better to know someone likes it (i.e. when they fav/alert it) than to not know at all. I think it's a sort of feedback, in a way.

1/25/2009 #164
FerretsRevolution

I think you guys are looking at it completely backwards. Admittedly, I'm a bit biased in my reponse because I tend to do that. But, you have to understand, I don't do it because I'm too lazy to review (or something like that), I do it because I'm not sure if I like the story or not. The story might be good and it might have captured my interest, but I might still be if-y about it, so I favorite/alert it and wait for the author to update to see whether I should review it. Also, after I finish reading a certain chapter or story, I check when the last update was. If it was a while ago, I would favorite it, but I wouldn't review it because I'm not sure if the author will even read my review. Why waste my time?

1/28/2009 #165
FerretsRevolution

also do that if the author has more than 500 reviews. Most likely, the author is getting so many reviews, he/she doesn't even read them anymore...

1/28/2009 #166
Nicki BluIs

i disagree. if a story has peaked my interest enough to make me want to read more (ie add it to my alerts) i write a reveiw to tell the author why. It is important for the author to know what made me interested and if im still iffy, why.

I dont favorite something unless it actually is my favorite. in other words ive probably been following tha story for a while, look forwoard to reading and have left multiple reviews over time.

i also dont think its ever a waste of time to spread review love and give concrit. 9 times out of 10 when an author has 500+ reviews thay are "omg this i liek so awesum! update now!!!1!!1" not useful and duly ignored. But i dont think any author, no matter how, long its been since their last update or how many reviews they have, will ignore constructive criticism.

1/28/2009 #167
concerto49

I'd be happy to get anything more than a click on the page. Fav/Alert is better than nothing. I guess it depends on where you stand. I'm in the low end.

1/28/2009 #168
FerretsRevolution

You have to take into consideration, however, the fact that if you click on a story, you like it and have finished reading it, and you're about to press the review button, you figure out that the last time an author logged on was 3 years ago. I'm just saying, why bother writing a whole concrit review if the author is more likely than not never going to read it. If, obviously, the author is still active and has kept maintainging and updating the story regularly, then I have no problem pressing that button and relaying my honest thoughts on a review, but if not....

1/29/2009 #169
Lime-Cat

you figure out that the last time an author logged on was 3 years ago. I'm just saying, why bother writing a whole concrit review if the author is more likely than not never going to read it.

/rant: FP ate my post, dangit! FP, you darn fat cow. -_- i shoulda known you were gonna eat it when the formatting of the text was different (aka larger than usual) /end rant.

What about email alerts? Just because an author hasn't updated their profile or uploaded a new story/chapter, doesn't mean they don't check their email. The reason why they show no obvious activity could be because they haven't written anything to post in the time since they have "been gone". What I'm trying to say is that no one knows whether these authors read the reviews we leave or not. I always review in hopes the author will read and eventually reply to what I had to say about their writing.

My take on the fav/review thing is if an author has the time and effort to write a story and share it with the FP community, then we, as readers, should be obligated to leave a review at the very least, telling them "thanks for the story" or something to that effect. After all, how much effort and time (ok, it takes me 1 hour to leave a decent concrit filled review...) does it take for someone to leave a review on something they enjoyed that an author took MORE time and effort to write? Our enjoyment of a piece of writing should cost more than just a click of a button - it at least deserves a review, even if it says something as little as "I enjoyed your story/poem/play/etc".

1/29/2009 #170
Fractured Illusion

then we, as readers, should be obligated to leave a review at the very least, telling them "thanks for the story" or something to that effect

I strongly disagree with this sentiment.

Reviews are not a right. They are a privilege, and not everyone gets it (because that's just how it is). No one is forced to give reviews. However, I will mention that being given reviews is a very nice thing.

I don't really like to read + review someone's older works either, because I know they probably know more by now. At least they should. And if they don't, then it's almost safe to say they don't really care. If I review it was because I just liked it. I don't review older works that I see are in need of concrit.

If you want to improve your writing, relying on reviews ALONE is a big mistake.

((sorry for the preachy-ness))

1/29/2009 #171
Lime-Cat

If you want to improve your writing, relying on reviews ALONE is a big mistake.

yes, that's true. one should not rely completely on others if they wish to improve. it's just not right. what i said in my previous post is based upon the notion that you enjoyed the story to a great extent (a completed story, at that). That said, SOME pieces deserve reviews, but that's all based on one's own opinion. I was talking about those some pieces of writing...and not encompassing all works.

1/29/2009 #172
Nicki BluIs

YAY for bumping!

Reposteed from OT:

while were on the topic of reviews imma call you out sesshy. and to some extent frac. the laundry list of faults is great but its kind of annoying to not get an idea of what you thought of the piece as a whole. Like sesshy you tend to go line by line adn say "this is bad this ibad this is bad" adn then ur done. It feels like ur dismembering the peice. A story is more than the some of its sentences...

okay im done :D

2/4/2009 #173
Chasing Skylines

I feel the faults are distracting. If I'm wasting almost all the characters available pointing out flaws, there's something wrong. The idea of what I thought of the story is implied: "Go fix it up."

2/4/2009 #174
Fractured Illusion

@Nitpicky Line-By-Line Reviews

I dunno, I think they're good, that type of reviews, but they're better if they also comment on things like plot and character. Maybe pace, you know? But I don't see the big deal.

Usually when I do line-by-line, it's because I am effing annoyned by all the faults, that I feel inclined to show them to the author and thus help them get rid of them. Especially reocurring errors the author has. Those piss me off as well XD

If I don't like it, I will tell you why. And it might be nit-picky, but I'm telling it. And if the writing is so flawed, then I don't really care about the characters and the plot because I can barely read to begin with. XD

Line-by-line has its strengths too. I've learned some good stuff that way. Don't go hating on those reviews. Sure they might be nit-picky but if you don't want those kind of reviews, say so in an author note or something, cuz FP allows everyone to say their opinion whether you like it or not.

*nods*

2/4/2009 . Edited 2/4/2009 #175
Chasing Skylines

Also, I don't always give a laundry list of faults. Just because it resembles story dissection does not mean I am not commenting on the story, too. I usually give an example of what is done right, and try to quote some lines about the characters.

So, story 'dismemberment' is not always negative. In fact, I find it easier on the writer; ctrl + f will be their friend during editing.

I don't enjoy broad sentences. I don't know what I'm supposed to specifically fix.

2/4/2009 . Edited 2/4/2009 #176
Fractured Illusion

I feel the faults are distracting. If I'm wasting almost all the characters available pointing out flaws, there's something wrong. The idea of what I thought of the story is implied: "Go fix it up."

+1

If you're THAT disturbed by the writing that you need to nit-pick it all, then it's clearly distracting.

2/4/2009 #177
Fractured Illusion

I don't enjoy broad sentences. I don't know what I'm supposed to specifically fix.

Same. I think specific is good. Because that helps the most. I guess those that really have problems with specific reviews is that maybe they're not doing well with concrit, or maybe they think its harsher than it should be... But man. Concrit is concrit. Suck it up.

How would it look like if everyone commented on only characters and plot? No diversity. Few enough people go line-by-line anyways. So don't try to exterminate that.

2/4/2009 #178
Chasing Skylines

I dunno, I think they're good, that type of reviews, but they're better if they also comment on things like plot and character. Maybe pace, you know? But I don't see the big deal.

Yes, like in Depth you kinda usually have to.

2/4/2009 #179
Fractured Illusion

Bubbles what you gotta say for yourself?

2/4/2009 #180
« Prev Page 1 .. 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Fractured Illusion Dr. Self Destruct, dragonflydreamer, lookingwest, Lime-Cat, simpleplan13, Imalefty
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member