The Review Game
News: We have a new For Fun thread called Chain Story! Go crazy with it.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 24 .. Last Next »
thewhimsicalbard

Okay, dropping my two cents on the ideas mentioned:

Poet of the Week/Month: An excellent idea, but there aren't a lot of well-published poets out there who meet the following qualifications - enough people have read the same poet to be feasible for discussion, and the poet's work is freely licensed, or at least illegally published/well-popularized enough to be found easily on the internet. I feel like we'd be almost completely out of luck in the contemporary poetry department. It could start strong, but after we run out of the "textbook poets", we'd be running on fumes. Otherwise, the proposed system of democratic suggestion seem solid enough to me.

WCC Spin-Off for Poems: I think a poem-only spin-off of something resembling the WCC would be excellent, even if it is a challenge of emulation, as Liana mentioned. I can say from personal experience that the WCC is not very conductive to poets, mostly because of 1) the sheer volume of entry in the WCC, and therefore the volume that everyone in the contest is required to read, and 2) the overwhelming prose-specific majority here at the RG, as opposed to poem-focused. I've had more than a few people tell me very specifically that they don't read poetry very often because they just don't like/understand/know how to read poems. Plus, reading a poem with the caliber of a WCC winner requires a lot more attention to detail (and more read-throughs of one piece) than the average reader is willing to give. I this would garner a lot more support and participation than anyone here has suggested thusfar. I'd be a regular participant for sure. If it gets too big, we could always split the WCC into two separate areas, one being for poets and the other for prose, or if it's too small, it could be a bi-monthly event with a longer period for submission and voting. Giving people a two-week period for writing in the first month would be a very good idea, I think. My point is, this idea needs more attention. I really like this one.

Poet-rap-battle: I would like to quote Jim Gaffigan, who said (about using chopsticks), "Uh, yeah, hi... uh, I'm too white." Anybody who is good enough off the top of his or her head to do that has my greatest respect, but I'll leave this to people who have actual rhythm.

Free Review for New Poets: Everybody loves free reviews. It's a good idea, though I'm not sure if it would bring in continuous participation or just people looking for free stuff. Still, if it brings in even just two or three regular participants, that would be well worth it, I think. I'd be on the Free Review Committee, whenever it happens.

Poetry-focused Exercises: An idea worth exploring in an existing thread, I think, but I'm not sure how much consistent support this would garner. So, essentially, I'm with Emily.

Poetry Influence Discussions: I think this could be lumped in with the previous statement I made about getting enough of our own poets who have read the same people that they could be discussed with any regularity. Shakespeare, Elliot, cummings, the transcendentalists, Dickinson (who I hate anyway, because she's a whore with the dash and won't even write about anything that doesn't give me the creeps, but that's not the point), Pound, Hughes, Frost, and Poe come to mind immediately, and then whatever five or six I'm sure I forgot, but I'm just saying that won't last very long. Plus, I'm pretty confident when I say I'm a well-read poet. I'm sure there are plenty of people on this site who haven't seen enough of any of these poets to really participate in a group discussion. We'd be hard pressed to find enough common ground to generate active discussion, as with the Poet of the Week idea. I hate to be the devil's advocate and rain on the parade here, but no one has really made this point yet.

The only suggestion I would like to put forth is a much more in-depth discussion of the poem-specific writing challenge. We seem to have more than enough up here to discuss it all at length for weeks, which makes me very happy!

--

Also, I know this is a little late to post this, but it doesn't help the amount of posts in either of the Poems sections that neither myself nor Dee have been what anyone would consider active in the RG for several months now; I was pretty regular in posting for a while, and Dee has been one of the RG's most active poets for a long time. I blame college. Sorry I've been gone so long, everybody

1/17/2011 #391
simpleplan13

I agree that finding poets that we've all read, etc. might be hard. I do think it's easier than you think to find poems online by them. Whether their being posted on various sites or not is legal I dunno, but I just did a quick search and I found sites with most of the poems by the poets you mentioned.

Also, I think some of us who write poetry might have some more obscure poets that we like which the others may not have read, but as long as we can find it online I think would be something other people could read. Also there are websites that I found that have enormous lists of poets so maybe we could suggest people skim through that site once we run out of very well-known poets so they have an idea of who to nominate.

Websites I found in case we end up needing them...

Poem hunter has a list of classic poets (a lot of whom I've never heard of) and links to their poems

Famous Poets and Poems has a long list of poets and if you click on them there's another link to click on for some of their poems.

1/17/2011 #392
Fractured Illusion

Eh, need to work on prototype first post and rules for RG Various now. Taking break from this debate, tho keep at it those who want to

1/21/2011 #393
Fractured Illusion

What needs to be done:

-

Prototype first post

-

The Review Game: Various: Stories/Poems - Easy Fix/Depth [thread title]

This is place to come if you want reviews for several stories at once, that have 3 chapters maximum??, and the review type is "easy fix", aka a simple review.

Only stories go here. Not poems.

If you want several reviews on a story with 4 chapters or more, go to the Multi-chap games??. You can always use your several chaptered stories in the regular Review Games. These RGs are all voluntary.

For Review Game rules and some fun facts, go to "Read this first!". Read the rules for the Review Games as well as the rules about Various.

---

FAQ: » Two or more people have reviewed the same person! What happens now? Answer

---

Moving on, this is the basic structure of the Review Game Various:

Person 2 says: I reviewed Person 1's stories "Antenna" ch 1, "Baffled" ch 1, and "Chimney" ch 1. Please review my one-chaptered stories "Dragons", "Evolution" and "Farenheit".

Person 3 says: I reviewed "Dragons", "Evoltion" and "Farenheit". Can someone elease review "Games", "House" and "Invalid"?

Person 4 says: Done (Games ch1-2, House ch 1, and Invalid ch 1), so can the next person review three chapters from "Jam" and one chapter from "Kaiser"? Thanks.

You can only request at a minimum 2 reviews, at a maximum 6 reviews.

It is mandatory, in all cases, to review the person next in line with how much he/she has requested or more and then request the same amount for yourself, or less (not more! If you want to request more, you review the person above more). You can't state what you want reviewed until you have completed all reviews. But you can make a holding post, stating you are reviewing. This lasts for max 2 days. When you are done with the reviews, edit into your post what you yourself want reviewed.

But! If you have 1 chapter with 4000 words or more: your max request can only be 4 chapters.

And if you have more than 1 chapter with 4000 words or more: your max request can only be 3 chapters.

//

(for poems)

But! If you have 1 chapter with 1 000 words or more: your max request can only be 4 chapters.

And if you have at least 2 chapters with 1 000 words or more: your max request can only be 3 chapters.

In sum, some keywords: You review how much they ask (or more) and request how much you reviewed (or less).

---

For Various Stories Easy Fix, your review needs to fulfill these requirements, otherwise you will not be seen as someone who has fulfilled their obligation and you can thus not participate.

REVIEW REQUIREMENTS:

You need to state one thing you liked and *why*, and one thing you didn't like/could be improved, and *why*. Giving more feedback is not prohibited, but giving less than this is. Flaming is also prohibited. Being constructive is not.

If you absolutely can only find good or less good things to say, then please state two things you liked and *why*, or two things you didn't like and *why*. The review will be seen as invalid otherwise.

Restating the same thing does not count as a why. "I really enjoyed the piece because I thought it was very enjoyable" does not count as a why. "I really enjoyed the piece. It was enjoyable because the characters were relateable" does count as a why.

Phrases like "no mistakes" or "good job" do not count as a like. If you cannot find a dislike then write another distinct like do not say "there are no mistakes." That will not count. Saying "good job" or other similar phrases will not count as a like on a piece either. It is not specific.

Here are templates to ensure your review clearly fulfills the qualifications, you can use any of them if you choose, but they are not required:

1) I liked... because... I disliked... because...

2) I liked... because... I liked... because...

3)I disliked... because... I disliked... because...

If you are still unsure on how the review requirement for Easy Fix is viewed, look at this post for guidance.

---

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!

-

1/26/2011 . Edited 1/27/2011 #394
Fractured Illusion

ok doing a seperate post for prototype rules cuz otherwise it'd be too much. both posts are under construction. I'll make a new post when Im done and then you can all contribute your insights! Im pretty sure I must have missed something.

-

Prototype rules:

-

ADDITIONAL RULES FOR THE REVIEW GAME VARIOUS

16) Your story/poem can have at a minimum 1 chapter and at a maximum 3 chapters.??

17) You need at least 2 chapters that must be available for reviewing. Your maximum to review is the number of chapters the person above you has reviewed, unless they asked for less. If you review more than requested, you can also request more.

18) You need at least 2 seperate stories/poems available for reviewing.

19) You always have the option to request less, as long as it is not below 2 reviews.

20) The minimum of reviews you can request is 2. The maximum number of reviews you can request is 6. If a person requests a number of reviews that does not go between 2 and 6, it means they have not read the rules. Thus the next person can freely choose any number from 2 to 6, assuming the person waiting to be reviewed otherwise fulfills the criteria.

21) There is a restriction to the above rule.

For stories: If your request includes a chapter with more than 4,000 words, you can only request up to 4 chapters max. Even if you had to give 6 reviews. And if you have more than one requested chapter over 4,000 words, you can only request a maximum of 3 chapters.

For poems: If you have a chapter with more than 1,000 words, you can only request up to 4 chapters max. Even if you had to give 6 reviews. And if you have more than one requested chapter over 1,000 words, you can only request a maximum of 3 reviews.

22) You can only enter stories in the Various Stories RGs. You can only enter poems in Various Poems RGs. There is no possibility for mixing.

23) If the person above you have not specified any number of chapters to review, you cannot review less than what they have reviewed. Ie, they reviewed 3 chapters. So you cannot review 2 chapters from them.

24) Naturally, for every chapter you read, you give a review too. You do not give a single review of all the stories/poems when you finished reading. If you read two chapters, you must have left two reviews, etc.

25) When you have not completed reviewing the above story before posting, you are not allowed to post what you want reviewed and how many chapters. Instead you must write that you are in process of reviewing. When you are done, you edit in what you want reviewed.

26) The time limit to completing the above rule is 2 days. If the reviews are not done within this time period, you are automatically discarded as a player.

27) As always, you are not allowed to re-review something you have already reviewed.

-

mostly this is copypaste from MC RG rules.

1/26/2011 . Edited 1/27/2011 #395
Fractured Illusion

I am making these questions as I go, when the thought comes to me. If I see an answer when I backread thsi thread, I will edit this post and edit in that its solved.

-

Questions about Various:

- Is there any upper limit for how many chapters a story can have for it to be played in Various?

edit: I can only find Gecko saying max 3 chapters. No one else has commented on this. So I assume 3 ch is max unless stated otherwise.

- ALERT!

Rule 20 and 23 (19 and 22 in MC) are in direct conflict with each other! What to do?!

edit: I think the 20 rule solution should be scrapped.

1/26/2011 . Edited 1/26/2011 #396
Fractured Illusion

OK GUYS I THINK I AM "DONE"!

Please read and comment. Nitpick also if you see something misspelled or something.

1/26/2011 #397
VelvetyCheerio

Frac works so hard! *is proud of Moddess*

I never have much of an opinion on these things though. :\ I like it, probably would never play it, but I like this idea.

This looks like a very nice prototype to me. :) I think it's just going to take some getting used to, is all. Might seem overwhelming at first.

1/26/2011 #398
simpleplan13

You have "The Review Game: Various: Stories/Poems - Easy Fix/Depth [thread title]" as the heading and then you only put EF requirements... Is it just that same part of the post as from the RGs and that's why you didn't post them? You also had"This is place to come if you want reviews for several stories at once" and "only stories go there"... I'm assuming for poems it would just say only poems go here? (I know that's a duh, but I just wanted to point it out since you didn't have both you might forget to edit that line)

Also nitpicky.. I would put the part about if the story/poem is too long right under how many reviews you can request not under the part about holding a spot.

"And if you have more than 1 chapter with 4000 words or more: Max request - 3 chapters"... all the other ones say : your max request can only be

"Even if you had give 6 reviews."... had to give (Rule 21)

"You need at least 2 chapters must be available for reviewing."... I think you meant "At least 2 chapters must be available" or "You need to have at least 2 chapters available" (Rule 17)

"If a person request a number of reviews that do not go between 2 and 6, it means they have not read the rules."... If a person requests a number of reviews that does not (Rule 20)

"Naturally, for every chapter you read, you give a review to."... too (Rule 24)

For the chapter, I feel like it should be ok for any number of chapters, but they shouldn't ask for more than 3 reviews from that story. Like if they have a 10 chapter story, but they ask for one review from that and the other two reviews are on two different pieces I don't see a problem with that. Especially I think with poems there shouldn't be a limit since people do big poetry collections and we have no MC equivalent.

I think Rule 20 should go too. I think people are perfectly capable of looking at the number of reviews the person above them reviewed and do that amount. But then I would also change Rule 17.

"Your minimum to review is what the person above asked you, or if they have not specified: the same amount that the person above reviewed themselves." to "Your minimum to review is the number of chapters the person above you has reviewed" I think it's less confusing because people may not ask for the right amount of reviews. I think in the summary it's ok but in the rules people might go looking for what if someone asks for more reviews then they gave and that might confuse them.

Also, I brought up the question about whether chapter specific requests had to be honored. I don't remember an answer on that, but I would put it in either has yes you can request a chapter, but the reviewer doesn't have to review that chapter or yes you have to review a chapter if a specific one is requested. (Btw I think this would be a good FAQ in general 'cause I know a couple of people have asked)

1/26/2011 #399
C. Tattiana H-H

This is place to come if you want reviews for several stories at once, that have 3 chapters maximum??

I say, yes

If you want several reviews on a story with 4 chapters or more, go to the Multi-chap games??

Yes, I say, again.

16) Your story/poem can have at a minimum 1 chapter and at a maximum 3 chapters.??

Yup

You need at least 2 chapters must be available for reviewing.

I find this a tad confusing. You mean here, then, that a story must have a min of 2 chapters? Could just be me but you might want to clarify that. If you just mean a minimum of two pieces like you said in rule 18 afterwards, I don't think that bit is necessary.

Is there any upper limit for how many chapters a story can have for it to be played in Various?

I say no.

Rule 20 and 23 (19 and 22 in MC) are in direct conflict with each other! What to do?!

Yeah, I say scrap 20, then.

Also, I brought up the question about whether chapter specific requests had to be honored... (Btw I think this would be a good FAQ in general 'cause I know a couple of people have asked)

Yes, I think clarifying that in FAQ would be a really good idea.

1/27/2011 #400
Fractured Illusion

In light of gigglebug's post in Sugg, I suggest that this rule:

18) You need at least 2 seperate stories/poems available for reviewing.

will have an exception -

18) You need at least 2 seperate stories/poems available for reviewing. Exception: when a person has collected their one-shots and poetry in one multi-chaptered piece. There is no maximum limit to how many chapters this collection may have other than what Rule 16 says about individual pieces' lengths.

Yes/No/Maybe?

1/27/2011 #401
Fractured Illusion

@to mini's post

You have "The Review Game: Various: Stories/Poems - Easy Fix/Depth [thread title]" as the heading and then you only put EF requirements... Is it just that same part of the post as from the RGs and that's why you didn't post them? You also had"This is place to come if you want reviews for several stories at once" and "only stories go there"... I'm assuming for poems it would just say only poems go here? (I know that's a duh, but I just wanted to point it out since you didn't have both you might forget to edit that line)

Yeah I didn't do that because I didn't want to write stories/poems althroughout the post :p Laysay

Also nitpicky.. I would put the part about if the story/poem is too long right under how many reviews you can request not under the part about holding a spot.

Eh? First post or rule post?

For the chapter, I feel like it should be ok for any number of chapters, but they shouldn't ask for more than 3 reviews from that story. Like if they have a 10 chapter story, but they ask for one review from that and the other two reviews are on two different pieces I don't see a problem with that. Especially I think with poems there shouldn't be a limit since people do big poetry collections and we have no MC equivalent.

I think we can solve that though with the above suggestion on this page about one-shot/poetry collections.

I think Rule 20 should go too. I think people are perfectly capable of looking at the number of reviews the person above them reviewed and do that amount.

Though I remember people messing up on requesting same or less as they reviewed. Newbies to the game I mean.

Why would you scrap Rule 17? I thought it very informative...

to "Your minimum to review is the number of chapters the person above you has reviewed" I think it's less confusing because people may not ask for the right amount of reviews. I think in the summary it's ok but in the rules people might go looking for what if someone asks for more reviews then they gave and that might confuse them.

I changed minimum to maximum

Also, I brought up the question about whether chapter specific requests had to be honored. I don't remember an answer on that, but I would put it in either has yes you can request a chapter, but the reviewer doesn't have to review that chapter or yes you have to review a chapter if a specific one is requested. (Btw I think this would be a good FAQ in general 'cause I know a couple of people have asked)

Oh yeah, we do get that question alot! Good call

edit: ok done

btw Mini dont forget the RM FAQ post

1/27/2011 . Edited 1/27/2011 #402
Fractured Illusion

@gecko's post

I find this a tad confusing. You mean here, then, that a story must have a min of 2 chapters? Could just be me but you might want to clarify that. If you just mean a minimum of two pieces like you said in rule 18 afterwards, I don't think that bit is necessary.

Might be necessary to include it though, depending on people's thoughts on story/poetry collections

Is there any upper limit for how many chapters a story can have for it to be played in Various?

I say no.

Wait what? But you said yes to pieces having 3 chaps max before. Now I'm confused

-

Oh, and Rule 20/23:

mini's post made me realize they were'nt quite the same.

23 is when someone didn't specify how much they wanted. But that's part of rule 17... So Rule 23 should probably be ditched then? Or put that part out of Rule 17 and put Rule 23 closer to 17?

Rule 20 is when a person requests 1 review, or over 6 reviews.

1/27/2011 . Edited 1/27/2011 #403
C. Tattiana H-H

Wait what? But you said yes to pieces having 3 chaps max before. Now I'm confused

Sorry, no to both. Replied shortly after I woke up, apologies.

1/27/2011 #404
simpleplan13

I like your change to Rule 18. I think that's fair.

My thing about the word length was in the first post not the rule post.

I think getting rid of the second half of rule 17 would be good since it is covered in rule 20 and 23. And I think you clarified them with the part about if they haven't asked for a number vs. if they ask for a number not between 2 and 6? If so, I think that's much clearer. If not I guess i just missed that before.

1/30/2011 #405
Fractured Illusion

Rule post, revised:

ADDITIONAL RULES FOR THE REVIEW GAME VARIOUS

16) Your story/poem can have at a minimum 1 chapter and at a maximum 3 chapters.

17) You need at least 2 chapters that must be available for reviewing.

18) You need at least 2 seperate stories/poems available for reviewing. Exception: when a person has collected their one-shots and poetry in one multi-chaptered piece. There is no maximum limit to how many chapters this collection may have other than what Rule 16 says about individual pieces' lengths.

19) You always have the option to request less, as long as it is not below 2 reviews.

20) The minimum of reviews you can request is 2. The maximum number of reviews you can request is 6. If a person requests a number of reviews that does not go between 2 and 6, it means they have not read the rules. Thus the next person can freely choose any number from 2 to 6, assuming the person waiting to be reviewed otherwise fulfills the criteria.

21) There is a restriction to the above rule.

For stories: If your request includes a chapter with more than 4,000 words, you can only request up to 4 chapters max. Even if you had to give 6 reviews. And if you have more than one requested chapter over 4,000 words, you can only request a maximum of 3 chapters.

For poems: If you have a chapter with more than 1,000 words, you can only request up to 4 chapters max. Even if you had to give 6 reviews. And if you have more than one requested chapter over 1,000 words, you can only request a maximum of 3 reviews.

22) You can only enter stories in the Various Stories RGs. You can only enter poems in Various Poems RGs. There is no possibility for mixing.

23) Your maximum to review is the number of chapters the person above you has reviewed, unless they asked for less. If you review more than requested, you can also request more. If the person above you have not specified any number of chapters to review, you cannot review less than what they have reviewed. Ie, they reviewed 3 chapters. So you cannot review 2 chapters from them.

24) Naturally, for every chapter you read, you give a review too. You do not give a single review of all the stories/poems when you finished reading. If you read two chapters, you must have left two reviews, etc.

25) When you have not completed reviewing the above story before posting, you are not allowed to post what you want reviewed and how many chapters. Instead you must write that you are in process of reviewing. When you are done, you edit in what you want reviewed.

26) The time limit to completing the above rule is 2 days. If the reviews are not done within this time period, you are automatically discarded as a player.

27) As always, you are not allowed to re-review something you have already reviewed.

1/31/2011 #406
Fractured Illusion

First post, Stories EF, revised:

-

The Review Game: Various: Stories - Easy Fix

This is place to come if you want reviews for several stories at once, that have 3 chapters maximum, and the review type is "easy fix", aka a simple review.

If you want several reviews on a story with 4 chapters or more, go to the Multi-chap games, unless your multi-chap is a story collection. You can always use your several chaptered stories in the regular Review Games. These RGs are all voluntary.

For Review Game rules and some fun facts, go to "Read this first!". Read the rules for the Review Games (the game thread rules) as well as the rules about Various.

---

FAQ: » Two or more people have reviewed the same person! What happens now? Answer

---

Person 2 says: I reviewed Person 1's stories "Antenna" ch 1, "Baffled" ch 1, and "Chimney" ch 1. Please review my one-chaptered stories "Dragons", "Evolution" and "Farenheit".

Person 3 says: I reviewed "Dragons", "Evoltion" and "Farenheit". Can someone elease review "Games", "House" and "Invalid"?

Person 4 says: Done (Games ch1-2, House ch 1, and Invalid ch 1), so can the next person review three chapters from "Jam" and one chapter from "Kaiser"? Thanks.

It is mandatory, in all cases, to review the person next in line with how much he/she has requested or more and then request the same amount for yourself, or less (not more! If you want to request more, you review the person above more). You can't state what you want reviewed until you have completed all reviews. But you can make a holding post, stating you are reviewing. This lasts for max 2 days. When you are done with the reviews, edit into your post what you yourself want reviewed.

But! If you have 1 chapter with 4000 words or more: your max request can only be 4 chapters.

And if you have more than 1 chapter with 4000 words or more: your max request can only be 3 chapters.

In sum, some keywords: You review how much they ask (or more) and request how much you reviewed (or less).

---

For Various Stories Easy Fix, your review needs to fulfill these requirements, otherwise you will not be seen as someone who has fulfilled their obligation and you can thus not participate.

REVIEW REQUIREMENTS:

You need to state one thing you liked and *why*, and one thing you didn't like/could be improved, and *why*. Giving more feedback is not prohibited, but giving less than this is. Flaming is also prohibited. Being constructive is not.

If you absolutely can only find good or less good things to say, then please state two things you liked and *why*, or two things you didn't like and *why*. The review will be seen as invalid otherwise.

Restating the same thing does not count as a why. "I really enjoyed the piece because I thought it was very enjoyable" does not count as a why. "I really enjoyed the piece. It was enjoyable because the characters were relateable" does count as a why.

Phrases like "no mistakes" or "good job" do not count as a like. If you cannot find a dislike then write another distinct like do not say "there are no mistakes." That will not count. Saying "good job" or other similar phrases will not count as a like on a piece either. It is not specific.

Here are templates to ensure your review clearly fulfills the qualifications, you can use any of them if you choose, but they are not required:

If you are still unsure on how the review requirement for Easy Fix is viewed, look at this post for guidance.

---

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!

-

1/31/2011 . Edited 1/31/2011 #407
Fractured Illusion

First post, Stories Depth, revised:

-

The Review Game: Various: Stories - Depth

This is place to come if you want reviews for several stories at once, that have 3 chapters maximum, and the review type is "depth", aka a review with more substance.

If you want several reviews on a story with 4 chapters or more, go to the Multi-chap games, unless your multi-chap is a story collection. You can always use your several chaptered stories in the regular Review Games. These RGs are all voluntary.

For Review Game rules and some fun facts, go to "Read this first!". Read the rules for the Review Games (the game thread rules) as well as the rules about Various.

---

---

---

For Stories Depth, your review needs to fulfill these requirements, otherwise you will not be seen as someone who has fulfilled their obligation and you can thus not participate.

REVIEW REQUIREMENTS:

Choose at least four of these eleven and comment upon with at least two sentences. Comments like "That was totally cool, update!" or "I want to read more" does not constitute as a sentence that is to be counted, in this case.

Also, each sentence must comment on something different in the area. For example, 'I really enjoyed the piece. I thought it was very enjoyable' does not count as two sentences. "I really enjoyed the piece. It was enjoyable because I could relate to the characters' is acceptable.

- Opening (did it make you want to read onwards? Did it lack a hook? How so?)

- Ending (did it make you want to read onwards? Did you feel closure? Unfinished? How so?)

- Scene (what stood out to you in a particular scene? Was it good or bad? How so?)

- Dialogue (how did it flow? Awkward? Didn't fit the age group that were speaking? Forced? How so?)

- Characters (too empty? Not enough to give an impression? Feel sympathetic? How so?)

- Relationships (is it credible that those two characters behave the way they do? Too unnatural? Forced? How so?)

- Writing (too flowery? Too many adverbs? Too oldfashioned for a high-school drama romance? Perfect match? How so?)

- Spelling/Grammar (anything that stuck out and needed to be corrected?) Note: Pointing out an absence of flaws does not count.

- Enjoyment (how did you feel from reading this and WHY? Were you dozing off? On your seat with suspense? How so?)

- Plot (clichéd but well done? Interesting idea but poor execution? Suggestions on how to thicken it? Got no idea where it's heading, but interesting anyhow? How so?)

- Pace (are things progressing too slowly? If so, what should happen?)

- Techniques (how well you feel the techniques were used to convey the ideas in the story? How they were used an what effect it gave to that part of the story?)

- Other (anything you felt was left out from the other commentaries? Any areas you think weren't covered by the above categories?)

Note: Summary and/or title is not a category of its own. Neither is descriptions. The latter belongs to "Writing".

---

REVIEW TEMPLATE

Here is a suggested way to format your review in order make sure it fits the qualifications.

[Area 1 from above] = Two sentences about this

[Area 2 from above] = Two sentences about this

[Area 3 from above] = Two sentences about this

[Area 4 from above] = Two sentences about this

Please remember that you do not need to make your review in this structure. It can be one flowing text, like how you usually review, and after writing what you had to say, compare with the requirements and see if you fulfilled them. Otherwise, just add what is "missing". No need to be so formal unless you don't want to. And remember that flaming is prohibited.

---

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!

1/31/2011 . Edited 1/31/2011 #408
Fractured Illusion

First post, Poems EF, revised:

-

The Review Game: Various: Poems - Easy Fix

This is place to come if you want reviews for several poems at once, that have 3 chapters maximum, and the review type is "easy fix", aka a simple review.

Only poems go here. Not stories.

Your poetry can only contain 3 chapters, unless your multi-chap is a poetry collection. You can always use your several chaptered poems in the regular Review Games. These RGs are all voluntary.

---

---

Person 2 says: I reviewed Person 1's stories "Antenna" ch 1, "Baffled" ch 1, and "Chimney" ch 1. Please review my one-chaptered poems "Dragons", "Evolution" and "Farenheit".

But! If you have 1 chapter with 1 000 words or more: your max request can only be 4 chapters.

And if you have at least 2 chapters with 1 000 words or more: your max request can only be 3 chapters.

---

REVIEW REQUIREMENTS:

---

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!

-

1/31/2011 . Edited 1/31/2011 #409
Fractured Illusion

First post, Poems Depth, revised:

-

The Review Game: Various: Poems - Depth

This is place to come if you want reviews for several poems at once, that have 3 chapters maximum, and the review type is "depth", aka a review with more substance.

Only poems go here. Not stories.

Your poetry can only contain 3 chapters, unless your multi-chap is a poetry collection. You can always use your several chaptered poems in the regular Review Games. These RGs are all voluntary.

---

---

Person 2 says: I reviewed Person 1's stories "Antenna" ch 1, "Baffled" ch 1, and "Chimney" ch 1. Please review my one-chaptered poems "Dragons", "Evolution" and "Farenheit".

---

For Poem Depth, your review needs to fulfill these requirements, otherwise you will not be seen as someone who has fulfilled their obligation and you can thus not participate.

REVIEW REQUIREMENTS:

Choose at least four of these and comment upon with at least two sentences. In other words: A minimum of 8 sentences total is required. Comments like "That was totally cool, update!" or "I want to read more" does not constitute as a sentence that is to be counted, in this case.

Also, each sentence must comment on something different in the area. For example, 'I really enjoyed the piece. I thought it was very enjoyable' does not count as two sentences. "I really enjoyed the piece. It was enjoyable because I could relate to the characters' is acceptable.

-Flow (ie, did it feel "chunky" and without much connection? A sloppy delivery? Easy to follow? How so?)

-Descriptions/images (Were the descriptions and images in the piece well done? Were they too common descriptions? Did they hit spot on? Effective? Dull? How so? Did the writer use symbolism, personification, etc. well)

-Word choice (were the word choices blending well together? Were some parts too intelligent while others too common? Could some words be replaced by others for more strength in the delivering of a point? How so?)

-Enjoyment (did you like it/dislike it? How did you feel reading this? Bored? Why? Was the direction the poem went for appreciated by you? How so?)

-Subject (what did you think about the main subject of the poem? Could you even interpret it? Was the obtuse nature appreciated? Did you like how straight forward it was? Clichéd? Didn't bring any original points? Suggestions on improvement? How so?)

-Word Play (How did the writer use alliteration, assonance, consonance, onomatopoeia, etc. in the piece?)

-Tone (How was the writer's attitude or the mood of the poem? Did it influence your response to the piece? Was it expected or original?)

-Rhythm (Was there a definite rhythm? Was it jarring, or was it smooth? Did it enhance the poem, or did it detract from it?)

-Punctuation and grammar (Were there any grammatical or spelling errors? Did the writer use incorrect punctuation/grammar intentionally? If so, did it work well?) Note: Pointing out an absence of flaws does not count.

-Technical Aspects (Did the writer use syntax, enjambment or repetition effectively?)

-Form (Was there a set rhyme scheme or poem category? If so, did the writer follow them well and did it work in the piece? Were the stanzas organized well?)

-Other (Anything you felt was left out from the other comments? Any areas you think weren't covered by the above categories?)

Note: Summary and/or title is not a category of its own. Neither is descriptions. The latter belongs to "Writing".

---

REVIEW TEMPLATE

Here is a suggested way to format your review in order make sure it fits the qualifications.

[Area 1 from above] = Two sentences about this

[Area 2 from above] = Two sentences about this

[Area 3 from above] = Two sentences about this

[Area 4 from above] = Two sentences about this

Please remember that you do not need to make your review in this structure. It can be one flowing text, like how you usually review, and after writing what you had to say, compare with the requirements and see if you fulfilled them. Otherwise, just add what is "missing". No need to be so formal unless you don't want to. And remember that flaming is prohibited.

---

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!

-

1/31/2011 . Edited 1/31/2011 #410
Fractured Illusion

Introducing: The Review Game Various - trial basis

-

Short synopsis of the game:

This is for both stories and poems. You play with the same review quantity s as Multi-chap RGs, but instead of using one story, you use several short stories or poems. Max 3 chapters allowed for one story, unless it is part of a one-shot/poetry collection.

Trial basis explanation:

This brand new Review Game is under a one month trial basis. That means that if the games are successful, that means they will stay as a part of the RG forum. If they are not successful, they will be deleted.

The trial basis is from start to finish of this month (February).

The activity goals:

Various Stories EF: 59 posts

Various Stories Depth: 28 posts

Various Poems EF: 30 posts

Various Poems Depth: 6 posts

-

(off topic posts doesn't count)

-

If you have any questions, please go to the Problems/Questions thread.

1/31/2011 #411
simpleplan13

I don't have any suggestions myself... but it looks like a new OT name will be in order very soon. Ideas?

2/5/2011 #412
Rainbow35

I have a suggestion or something: Can you make a Review Game Various for multi-chapters? It would be confusing-ish, I guess, but it would probably work... Could you do that? :/

2/5/2011 #413
Fractured Illusion

I have a suggestion or something: Can you make a Review Game Various for multi-chapters? It would be confusing-ish, I guess, but it would probably work... Could you do that? :/

?? That's called RG Multi-chap. If you want to use several MCs, I don't see that happening at this point in time. This Various is still under its trial run, and RG MC seems to fill the need you want.

2/5/2011 #414
Fractured Illusion

OT 98 name suggs, bring 'em!

2/5/2011 #415
Tekla

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say probably not... I mean, Various calls for more than one story, and if you want them to do multiple chapters of multiple stories you might as well ask them to beta XD

edit: lol that's what I get for taking five minutes to type out my answer.

2/5/2011 . Edited 2/5/2011 #416
Tekla

The atomic number of californium. OT - Into the Ocean! (cos people tend to think Cali is about to fall off of the continent, lol.)

98.6 degrees Fahrenheit is normal body temperature. OT - Is It Warm in Here?

0-98 code in police code means "Assignment Completed". OT - Over and Out!

2/5/2011 #417
Fractured Illusion

edit: lol that's what I get for taking five minutes to type out my answer.

Haha no it's cool :p 's good to have backup

Also on the MC Various - I also see it as sort of contraproductive having an MC +4 in Various, because then you can only go 3 ch into one story, and then have 2 of those max (6ch max for requests + it needs to be various, so...). It doesn't seem to be able to rival the quality RG MC can give where you can go 6 ch in.

2/5/2011 #418
Fractured Illusion

I like Over and Out so far! Seems to represent OT lately XD

2/5/2011 #419
thewhimsicalbard

ANY lyric from REM's hit song "It's The End Of The World As We Know It", which was released on the album "Document" in 1998. I'll leave it up to someone else to pick an appropriate lyric if they like this idea, but I've been waiting to suggest this one for #98.

2/5/2011 #420
« Prev Page 1 .. 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 24 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Fractured Illusion Dr. Self Destruct, dragonflydreamer, lookingwest, Lime-Cat, simpleplan13, Imalefty
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member