The Review Game
News: We have a new For Fun thread called Chain Story! Go crazy with it.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 27 .. Last Next »
dragonflydreamer

I'll vote for Mercy of the Data Error Gods, too, so we can get this thing rolling.

Huzzah!

5/19/2011 . Edited 5/19/2011 #481
lookingwest

sure, I'll vote for that one :)

5/19/2011 #482
Dreamweaver38

YAYZ!!!

5/19/2011 #483
dragonflydreamer

Copy-pasting from Kristen Teabag in Stories EF:

I had an idea/suggestion but I wasn't sure to put it, so I guess I'll put it here. Perhaps we should make a review game for shorter pieces of fiction (such as short chapters or flash fiction under 500 words). For those that tend to write shorter chapters or write a lot of flash fiction, I think that would be good. :)

Thoughts?

Personally, I'd say that there isn't enough "flash fiction" around to warrant its own category. However, maybe we could look into EFs for shorter chapters/stories versus longer ones? I mean, for multichap, we have the rules about chapters over 4,000 words, so we're obviously acknowledging the imbalance of reviewing such stories. Not sure how practical it would be or how much traffic each would get, but it's a thought.

5/20/2011 #484
Boy at War

I'm not sure if this would get a lot of traffic, she made this statement after reviewing my story The Crow so I assume that if she wasn't inspired by the chapter it might have given her a bit more evidence. Whenever I think "wow this story is short!" it never really is. If I put said story into a wordcount most of them would be above the restriction for this new category. I don't really see a lot of flash fiction either.

5/28/2011 #485
dragonflydreamer

All right, I've got a bit of an open-ended suggestion topic here:

Nicknames!

Sheriff and Don, being the lovely lovely human beings they are, have compiled an updated list of all the RG nicknames to replace the old one. We're looking to post this in a spam topic, most likely Celebrate, and link to it in Read This First. My preference for how to lay it out would be a post per letter, alphabetized by username, and a separate post for mods.

Thoughts?

6/1/2011 #486
Nesasio

We're looking to post this in a spam topic, most likely Celebrate, and link to it in Read This First.

Why not just replace the post that's already there? That OT wasn't locked so it should be editable...

6/1/2011 #487
Jealous Rage

Why not just replace the post that's already there? That OT wasn't locked so it should be editable...

That was my original thought, but after compiling the list, I realized that would make for one incredibly long-ass post. We're talking the far side of 500 nicknames here.

6/1/2011 #488
simpleplan13

I think just replacing the old list would work and just separate the one post by letters. With like a heading for each letter. Unless you feel really strongly about the whole post per letter thing.

EDIT: Just saw your post. I don't see how doing it by letter will help that much though... if it's one post on one page people can scroll equally to the letter or just use their browser to search for the specific name.

6/1/2011 . Edited 6/1/2011 #489
Tekla

I don't see how doing it by letter will help that much though... if it's one post on one page people can scroll equally to the letter or just use their browser to search for the specific name.

yeah, but it'd be easier for whoever's in charge to edit one letter if you're just adding one nick, and then you wouldn't have to scroll through the huuuuuge post to get to the letter you need. plus if the bolding thing is still an issue, that would take a hecka long time to fix every time.

further, the page length wouldn't be crazy long either. XD

6/1/2011 #490
simpleplan13

That makes sense.

6/1/2011 #491
TrulyDevious

*Raises hand*

Can I be an Artist for the Artist-Author Trade?

~~

Do you need examples?

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p188/xSoulAssassinx/MafiaCatColorOutline.png

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p188/xSoulAssassinx/CrowProfile.jpg

http://s128.photobucket.com/albums/p188/xSoulAssassinx/?action=view&current=ThreeChibisshadow.png

6/1/2011 . Edited 6/1/2011 #492
dragonflydreamer

@TrulyDevious - Here are the requirements for registering:

Style and preference (ie, realism or anime or cartoon) -- What media you can do and which is preferred (pencil? computer?) -- Specific preference regarding subject (ie, females, or animals) -- Weaknesses overall -- Strengths overall -- Link to your portfolio

Actually, on the topic of AAT, I just realized I'm still listed as an artist ^^; Since I haven't drawn in well over a year, I'd like to officially "resign."

@Nicknames - I'm with Sheriff on the multi-posts--way easier to edit, and this is something that will be updated often. On that note, were you guys (meaning Sheriff and/or Don) looking to keep up with this? Because I'd be happy to pick it up from here and be the one to update it.

6/1/2011 #493
Tekla

well I just thought you were gonna take care of it, since you brought it up to begin with XD

also, mods have almighty power over editing so that might be easier for you to keep it up to date.

I'm all for donating my posts to the cause tho, XD

6/1/2011 #494
TrulyDevious

Style and preference: A Mix between anime and my own carton-ish twist.

What media you can do and which is preferred: Computer

Specific preference regarding subject: Anthro Females Males

Weaknesses overall: Body positions

Strengths overall: Facial expressions

Link to your portfolio: http://confuddled-notations.deviantart.com/

6/2/2011 #495
Boy at War

So I have too suggestions, since this is the Review Game I figured why not have an actual game? We could have something like a review raffle, where everyone chooses a number between 1-10 or however many for the number of participants and then we just use a random number generator to pick a number. Then everyone who entered and did not win will review the winner. Sort of like the WCC only it would be a lot simpler and could potentially move a lot faster.

Personally I think it could be something we did weekly or monthly, but since it could be done so quickly we could do one everyday or even on the hour!

Another idea I had was like some kind of reviewing scavenger hunt, the only problem with it is that you wouldn't be sure someone would review you but the basic premise is that maybe a mod would think of some sort of question that could only be answered by looking at a story they saw on FP and then everyone would scramble to find it!

6/3/2011 #496
Rainbow35

I think those are brilliant ideas! :D

6/3/2011 #497
dragonflydreamer

@Boy at War - We do have a "game" that comes around every Christmas and Valentine's Day. It's a Secret Santa kind of thing where people anonymously review each other and have to guess who did it.

But other than that, I'd love to see more competitions around here myself! The scavenger hunt might be a bit difficult because FP is so huge, even if we just limited it to RG players. It also encourages reading through stories without reviewing (well, maybe some people would, but for time's sake it's unlikely), which of course isn't in the RG spirit. The raffle could be interesting, though! It wouldn't hurt to have another Freebie-like thread.

Back @Nicknames - I'm going to go ahead with this unless anyone else has suggestions.

6/3/2011 #498
Nesasio

Scavenger Hunt: Are we thinking like 'find such and such things in a story'? That'd be kind of cool. I think we could make it work, especially with the search finally working well again. Like we could make a list of details or things to find in some random story and then require people to review said story. Then they could post what story they found (and reviewed) to check that detail off. I could see this working like the RM, where everyone joins in and finds different stories to review as per requirements, or like one of the game threads where someone posts a thing to find, someone else finds and reviews that, then posts the next thing. As far as participation goes, though, I think a RM-style version would probably work best. Say there's a list of x-amount of things to find in FP stories. In a set timeframe (a weekend, a week, something like that) people get a the chance to review those stories and see how many they can find and review. The first to get them all or whoever gets the most gets prize reviews, maybe from the list-poster or from all the participants. However we work that out.

Thoughts?

6/3/2011 #499
dragonflydreamer

@Lyra - Ooh, that does sound like it could work! By "review the work," do you mean the entirety of the work? One chapter? Does this limit to one-shots/poetry?

6/3/2011 #500
Nesasio

By "review the work," do you mean the entirety of the work? One chapter? Does this limit to one-shots/poetry?

I don't think we'd need to limit it to one-shots. I mean, to make this work we'd probably have to search by summary or title, so it wouldn't be too hard to work any kind of story/poem in. And maybe one of the search things could include specific requests for chaptered works. It'd all depend on the criteria. But overall, I think one EF review per search item would work.

To illustrate, say this is part of the list:

Find and review: 1. a story about a dragon 2. a YA story with supernatural and romance as subgenres and review 3 chapters 3. a haiku about rain....etc.

Me: 1. I reviewed 'Me and My Dragon', ch.1 2. I reviewed 'The Day I Kissed a Werewolf', ch.1-3, etc.

Edit: Oh, and we could also include an RM-like link to the RG in the reviews, as a way of getting new blood here.

6/3/2011 . Edited 6/3/2011 #501
Tekla

Back @Nicknames - I'm going to go ahead with this unless anyone else has suggestions.

are you doing multi-posts?

6/3/2011 #502
Tekla

@Scavenger Hunt

sounds delightful! :D

6/3/2011 #503
dragonflydreamer

are you doing multi-posts?

Yeah, unless anyone strongly objects.

6/3/2011 #504
Fractured Illusion

@Sparkles - Nickname list

Celebrate seems like a good place.

Try to keep the bold to a minimum tho because this problem is very persistent :/

When its done, I think we should link to that list in the Intro thread too.

It is best that the posts are mod made. If you want you can send the list to us other mods and we will fill in the posts after deciding who gets which etters.

I dont mind several posts for the nicknames to do in order of letter. However, if this is to happen, there needs to be a main post first that has each letter-post linked to.

6/4/2011 #505
Fractured Illusion

@New review threads sugg

Very cool ideas :)

I'll deal with them in different posts.

- Review Raffle

A strong point with this is that it is a very quick process too. So it could be more regular than WCC/RMs are. Ie more than once a month, if the demand is there.

I assume it is the first ones who get there who get to play? And they cant pick the same number either?

Something to think about: since it would be that only the first people who get there get to play until the numbers are out, I want to make a point of it that editing those registration posts or what have you, shouldn't be allowed. Ie:

Poster 1: I pick 3

Poster 2: I pick 3. edit: I pick 2

Poster 3: I pick 2.

If edit was allowed it'd just confuse. If they notice what they picked has already been taken, they should make a new post. It'd be best for clarity and more fair.

Also the numbers could be different. Maybe one time we have 1-5, another 1-10, so there is variation too? Dunno if that's desired tho XD

To decide if Review Raffle is accepted: like Sparkles something to do in Celebrate, or give it its own thread?

6/4/2011 #506
Boy at War

Yeah i was thinking the edit feature wouldn't really be a factor, since it wouldn't make sense to let someone change and steal another person's potential number. It would be first come first serve, but whoever host the review raffle (if it be a mod or someone else) could pick the size of the raffle. So it could be anywhere from 2 to ideally 30, and it could be done anywhere I was thinking having it's own thread simply because if playing this game is in high demand then the post would spam the Celebrate thread.

6/4/2011 #507
Fractured Illusion

@New review threads sugg

- Scavenger Hunt

(Just gonna throw my thoughts around)

Okay so this has developed into two different ideas.

Boy at War's idea: first person to find this or that in a story wins? Or is it looking for a specific story? I interpreted it as a specific story, which could be troublesome. Are you given one hint only? If it's also an RG story then it's unfair to those who are new to RG and havent had time to see who has what. So if a specific story, I think we should make a point to have it (and preferably the author as a whole) not reviewed by an RGer. IF POSSIBLE.

Lyra's: review as many with this or that ingredient in a story. The problem with this is that someone is going to have to read through ALL of the poems and stories to find those ingredents so if we go this route maybe then mention in the registration post where the ingredient is present? Unless it's just a word, ie, "blue", then the mod can just search for blue via Ctrl+F or whatever.

Which is mroe favorable: reviewing all required ingredients first, or reviewing the most?

Since we are drawing an RM parallell I'd say we should go with that the winner who reviews all first wins, BUT since this is also how Review Raffle works, I'm not so sure anymore.

Overall I am still a bit confused of how this works though. I dont think I fully get it. Like, are Lyra's and Boy at War's ideas basically the asme and I just interpreted them differently?

Sorry for all the scattered thoughts. Ask and I'll clarify.

6/4/2011 #508
Boy at War

When it comes to my nickname you could call me BAW since it's a little easier to remember than Stitch

But my idea was more like Review Hide and Seek, find and review the story that's the answer, to a riddle or question, something that we could do in the Fight for the Freebie as well.

6/4/2011 #509
Tekla

When it comes to my nickname you could call me BAW since it's a little easier to remember than Stitch

not how it works, nice try :D

/OT

6/4/2011 #510
« Prev Page 1 .. 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 27 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Fractured Illusion Dr. Self Destruct, dragonflydreamer, lookingwest, Lime-Cat, simpleplan13, Imalefty
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member