The Review Game
News: We have a new For Fun thread called Chain Story! Go crazy with it.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 8 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 28 .. Last Next »
Boy at War

O it's even worse since your the one that gave me the nickname too X(

6/4/2011 #511
Rainbow35

I don't think we'd need to limit it to one-shots. I mean, to make this work we'd probably have to search by summary or title, so it wouldn't be too hard to work any kind of story/poem in. And maybe one of the search things could include specific requests for chaptered works. It'd all depend on the criteria. But overall, I think one EF review per search item would work.

To illustrate, say this is part of the list:

Find and review: 1. a story about a dragon 2. a YA story with supernatural and romance as subgenres and review 3 chapters 3. a haiku about rain....etc.

Me: 1. I reviewed 'Me and My Dragon', ch.1 2. I reviewed 'The Day I Kissed a Werewolf', ch.1-3, etc.

That all sounds like a good idea, I say it should be implemented! xD

6/4/2011 #512
Tekla

O it's even worse since your the one that gave me the nickname too X(

oi, that's how it works here at the RG: you get a nick and you learn to love it. just run with it!

Which is mroe favorable: reviewing all required ingredients first, or reviewing the most?

I think they idea is whoever reviews all required ingredients first. like RL scavenger hunts, you need to find all of those things and come back with them and be first.

6/4/2011 #513
Nesasio

The problem with this is that someone is going to have to read through ALL of the poems and stories to find those ingredents so if we go this route maybe then mention in the registration post where the ingredient is present? Unless it's just a word, ie, "blue", then the mod can just search for blue via Ctrl+F or whatever.

The way I was thinking of it was that we'd have to do clues that're in titles and/or summaries for stories. So basically stuff we can find through the Search thing. Which would also be really easy to check for whoever's judging.

Which is mroe favorable: reviewing all required ingredients first, or reviewing the most?

It depends on if we're going to have it be a timed event or open-ended. Also depends on the length of the list used. I think if we were to make this happen more often than the WCC, the list would have to be pretty short (maybe ten items or so) and then we could do it by whoever gets all the things reviewed first.

6/4/2011 #514
dragonflydreamer

The way I was thinking of it was that we'd have to do clues that're in titles and/or summaries for stories. So basically stuff we can find through the Search thing. Which would also be really easy to check for whoever's judging.

This sounds doable to me. I think the emphasis should be on the reviewing. The way Lyra has it layed out, it's encouraging RG people to branch outside of just fellow RG works and review, say, ten new works. It doesn't need to be a huge effort to find just the right story.

I doubt a timed event would work. The time stamps on posts aren't reliable enough to tell exactly the time between original posting and final editing, and time zones would make an uneven playing field if it was just all going at the same time. I feel that everyone who finishes within a time (a day? a weekend?) should win a review. This could either work like WCC (everyone reviews), RM (Review Squad), or have whoever came up with the clues review everyone (there could be a limit of only as many players as question. That way, the clue-giver doesn't play and still ends up giving the same amount of reviews).

Who is going to give the clues? Unlike WCC, there might not be a clear-cut winner (depends on if we do fastest or not). Maybe this could be a raffle among the previous winners? Sounds a bit complicated, though XD

6/5/2011 #515
Rainbow35

Who is going to give the clues? Unlike WCC, there might not be a clear-cut winner (depends on if we do fastest or not). Maybe this could be a raffle among the previous winners? Sounds a bit complicated, though XD

Idea: People could sign up to give clues, and then it could cycle around them. Like, say if me, Sparkles, Lyra and Frac all signed up to give clues. Week 1 I'd give the clues, week 2 Sparkles would, week 3 Lyra would, week 4 Frac would, and then week 5 I would again if no-one else signed up for it. (Assuming these things were every week, but you could obviously replace week with month or fortnight or whatever)

And there could be a new list of clue-givers every month or two?

And for times, I think whoever does it fastest should be the winner, like say the first three finished or something. The times on email alerts are a bit more reliable than the post times as far as I know, so it could be done with that...?

This could either work like WCC (everyone reviews), RM (Review Squad)

In my opinion, I think it should be one of those options, instead of the clue-giver reviewing everyone. But that's just what I think... :P

6/5/2011 #516
Nesasio

Idea: People could sign up to give clues, and then it could cycle around them. Like, say if me, Sparkles, Lyra and Frac all signed up to give clues. Week 1 I'd give the clues, week 2 Sparkles would, week 3 Lyra would, week 4 Frac would, and then week 5 I would again if no-one else signed up for it. (Assuming these things were every week, but you could obviously replace week with month or fortnight or whatever)

I rather like this idea, but it does bring up the question of how we'd get people to sign up. Would it be a monthly announcement? Say we decide to do this every two weeks. At the beginning of the month there's a call (like RM review squad) for two people to give clues and judge this. The people sign up then they're responsible for posting the clues and judging the validity of the reviews/entries. This seems like a doable option to me.

This could either work like WCC (everyone reviews), RM (Review Squad)

In my opinion, I think it should be one of those options, instead of the clue-giver reviewing everyone. But that's just what I think... :P

I tend to agree. While I wouldn't mind being clue-giver AND reviewer, as long as there's a set maximum for how many people would need to be reviewed, there probably aren't many people in the RG who would want to do that. Another option might be to have the two (or however many) clue-givers for the month split up the reviews each time. So say Nom and I agree to give the lists for July. First half of the month, she gives 8 clues/gets 8 participants. I review 4 of them, she reviews 4. Then second half of the month I give a list with 10 clues/get 10 participants. I review 5, she reviews 5. If there're 10 clues and only 7 participants, though, I review 4 (as list poster) and she reviews 3. Then the reviews are more spaced out and more manageable. I dunno, I just thought of this as I was posting; what do other people think?

6/5/2011 #517
dragonflydreamer

Because I'm terrible at remembering:

http://forum.fictionpress.com/topic/1867/1839063/19/#2017538

Main post for the nickname list for RTF.

6/9/2011 #518
Boy at War

New suggestion!

I notice they're is a SKOW award for Romance novels, but not really anything equivalent to it, for all the other genres. So what if the forum made it's own awards for the other genres?

If you'eve found awards for other genres, please PM me the link

6/15/2011 #519
lookingwest

Actually, there are quite a few different award sites, though not all of them are in session atm, to my knowledge there are:

La Campanella Awards (covers everything non-romance)

Slash Awards

Fictionpress Supernatural Awards

annnnd there used to be Undiscovered too, but I think they're site went down :( They're still I think making their e-magazine though. :D

Also not sure if any of these have forums, but I know FSA used to...that was awhile ago though :S Since all of these sites already cater to things non-romance I'm kind of of the decision that the RG should just focus on our WCC and Review Marathon as far as having to do with awards, but dunno what others might think.

Hope I could help.

6/15/2011 #520
Tekla

OT 103 names!

there's not a lot to work with O_o

6/17/2011 #521
Tekla

Well since we're obsessed with OTs...

OT - You Give Me Fever!

6/17/2011 #522
Boy at War

I know that 301 is a permanent redirection, and that's 103 backwards?

so maybe OT -Redirected!

6/17/2011 #523
Jealous Rage

The 103rd episode of Supernatural is "Two Minutes to Midnight". In it, Dean makes a deal with Death and they have some pizza while they're talking. So I suggest: OT 103 - Pizza Party With Death.

6/17/2011 . Edited 6/17/2011 #524
Boy at War

The 103rd episode of Supernatural is "Two Minutes to Midnight". In it, Dean makes a deal with Death and they have some pizza while they're talking. So I suggest:OT 103 - Pizza Party With Death.

+1

6/17/2011 #525
Nesasio

I second Pizza Party With Death.

6/17/2011 #526
Tekla

I second Pizza Party With Death.

thirded. fourth'd. whatever number vote I am, XD

6/17/2011 #527
Rainbow35

I vote for Pizza Party With Death, too!

6/17/2011 #528
Elennar

The 103rd episode of Supernatural is "Two Minutes to Midnight". In it, Dean makes a deal with Death and they have some pizza while they're talking. So I suggest:OT 103 - Pizza Party With Death.

OMG, this!

6/17/2011 #529
Fractured Illusion

OT done. Cool name :p

@RG awards

Like Potter said, there are other big FP awards out there, and RG focuses more on the reviewing aspect. I'm not sure RG is the right venue for any award business.

6/18/2011 #530
Fractured Illusion

@Scavenger Hunt and Review Raffle

Do we need to discuss these more or should we take a vote?

6/18/2011 #531
Elennar

Do we need to discuss these more or should we take a vote?

A vote sounds fine by me.

*excited over the idea*

6/19/2011 #532
Boy at War

We sort of forgot about this, huh? I think that we should have a vote on like the news thread since that's more likely to not be overlooked. Like poor old suggestion thread.

7/5/2011 #533
Fractured Illusion

My memory is faulty at best D: Sorry for delay. Hang on a min...

7/9/2011 #534
Fractured Illusion

@NEW THREAD SUGGESTIONS!

VOTE!

- Review Raffle

Do you want RG to get a Review Rafffle thread?

Yes/No/Maybe?

- Scavenger Hunt

Do you want RG to get a Scavenger Hunt thread?

Yes/No/Maybe?

Short synopsis of each (discussion started last page post #496 by Boy at War, this is a copypaste to refresh memory)

Review Raffle:

We could have something like a review raffle, where everyone chooses a number between 1-10 or however many for the number of participants and then we just use a random number generator to pick a number. Then everyone who entered and did not win will review the winner. Sort of like the WCC only it would be a lot simpler and could potentially move a lot faster.

Scavenger Hunt (/Hide and Seek?):

Another idea I had was like some kind of reviewing scavenger hunt, the only problem with it is that you wouldn't be sure someone would review you but the basic premise is that maybe a mod would think of some sort of question that could only be answered by looking at a story they saw on FP and then everyone would scramble to find it!

Update: Several search items will be given, and it seems the ideal is 1 EF review per found search item. Unsure if verdict reached whether you win by finding+reviewing all items first, or if you win by reviewing the most. Can easily be discussed further, however.

7/9/2011 #535
Elennar

@Review Raffle

Yes!

@Scavenger Hunt

Yes to that too!

Wait, I can say yes to both, right?

7/9/2011 #536
Dr. Self Destruct

I think they both sound like great ideas. The raffle because it's full of random goodness, and the scavenger hunt because that's an interesting way to get people involved in other people's stories.

Sounds like I better go get my dice blessed for the raffle. :3

7/9/2011 #537
VelvetyCheerio

I personally only favor the Review Raffle, so my vote is with that one.

7/9/2011 #538
Fractured Illusion

Wait, I can say yes to both, right?

Yep!

I personally only favor the Review Raffle, so my vote is with that one.

To clarify - does that mean you vote No for Scavenger Hunt, or that you are not voting at all for SH?

7/9/2011 #539
dragonflydreamer

I vote for both!

7/9/2011 #540
« Prev Page 1 .. 8 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 28 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Fractured Illusion Dr. Self Destruct, dragonflydreamer, lookingwest, Lime-Cat, simpleplan13, Imalefty
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member