The Review Game
News: We have a new For Fun thread called Chain Story! Go crazy with it.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 9 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 29 .. Last Next »
VelvetyCheerio

To clarify - does that mean you vote No for Scavenger Hunt, or that you are not voting at all for SH?

I'd rather not vote for SH, if that's all right. If not, then I say nay to SH.

7/9/2011 #541
Rainbow35

I vote yes for both! :D

And if I may give you my opinion: I think the Scavenger Hunt should be won by whoever does it first, not by whoever does the most. But that's just me, I suppose someone more official will decide that?

7/9/2011 . Edited 7/9/2011 #542
Boy at War

I vote for both? Or did people already think I voted?

7/9/2011 #543
Nesasio

I vote yes for both as well.

@Scavenger Hunt: I think in general we should have the winner be whoever gets done first, and then if there're multiple participants, second/third place would be whoever has the most. And, if this is a time-limited event, and no one gets all the things reviewed in the allowed time, we could include a note that whoever has the most in that case would be the winner. So obviously whoever gets all of the things would automatically win, but in the absence of a clearly finished participant the winner would be the one with the most.

Maybe?

7/9/2011 #544
Rainbow35

For the Scavenger Hunt: Lyra's idea is good! :D

7/9/2011 . Edited 7/9/2011 #545
lookingwest

Yes to both

7/9/2011 #546
Elennar

NEW SUGGESTION: MOVIE LISTS

OK, so I was going through the Cinema Royale thread, and I realized that many of us were fairly developed movie buffs, and putting together a coherent post about the movies we'd seen would be a great way for others to discover new things to watch: basically, the same thing the BR thread does for books. I mean, I got an entire year's worth of titles from the BR thread alone, and it'd be great if the same thing were to happen for movies.

Now, obviously, I don't think it'd be practical to have a single post per movie, because there're just too many of those around. So, why not have interested members maintain lists of movies, like users have on IMDB.

That's the basic suggestion, at least.

A few refinements of the basic idea that occurred to me were:

Possibility A

One post per list, with the post being linked to in the first mod post of Cinema Royale (much like BR).

So the first post link would look something like:

Lurch's List of Horror

Lurch's List of Romantic Comedies

(and so on)

Basically, users can maintain multiple lists, but in different posts. In the "contents", only the list name will be mentioned.

Possibility B

Only one post per user, with the entire post being linked to in the first mod post in Cinema Royale.

So the first post will look something like:

Elennar's Lists

Lookingwest's Lists

Fractured Illusion's List

(And so on and so forth)

A user's post can hold multiple lists, and will be properly demarcated as such. Like, my post can look something like:

Lurch's List of Horror

Movie A

Movie B

Movie C

Lurch's List of Comedies

Movie A

Movie B

Movie C

(and so on)

What to Add in the Lists:

Of course, this is totally up for discussion. But I'm thinking name, year, IMDB link and subjective opinion+potential warnings.

7/10/2011 . Edited 7/10/2011 #547
Fractured Illusion

@Review Raffle and Scavenger Hunt - The Mod Edition

Mini hasn't voiced an opinion yet but so far it looks like these threads will be made. So, to the mods: I am going to default "own" these threads (aka make first post etc) unless another mod volunteers for either/both.

So yeah, this is the time to claim a thread if you want XD

(I'm still gonna be heavily invovled in the rules making + first post making whichever the outcome tho. because Im anal like that, so you cant get rid of me 100%)

7/10/2011 #548
Fractured Illusion

@Movie Lists

If this list happens there will be no bold in that list post XD And its all your fault FP :[

Anyhoo.

Question!

- Possibility A:

I think it's cool to have such lists, it makes it easy to navigate. But when you click on such a list, is there a list like this:

List:

Movie 1: I thought blabla. | Movie 2: I thought blabla

or is it like

List:

Review of Movie 1 Link

Review of Movie 2 Link

???

Cuz it's my personal lazy opinion that if the 2nd one is how it's done, the user has to link to the posts and maintain it themselves XD Or can people do whatever?

Opinion time!

I personally think that having the lists be linked to (rather than users' list) would be more beneficial. If someone wants to see a Comedy for example, they can easily scan the list overview post to see if there are any comedy lists and not have to browse through each user's personal list posts.

Of course, this is totally up for discussion. But I'm thinking name, year, IMDB link and subjective opinion+potential warnings.

Something to consider - since CR is much more chillax than the BC/BR counterpart, there is also the option that the reviews don't have to be by a certain format at all (though we could include a standard for those that want it).

7/10/2011 #549
simpleplan13

Sorry.. I'm sorta MIA studying for a big test... I wouldn't mind taking over either of any of the three new suggestions if that makes life easier for you Frac. Tho of course I need your input on first post, rules, etc.

I'd abstaining a vote from Raffle 'cause I don't think it's a great idea, but it's not a bad one either. I like the SH idea so I vote yes to that though I think a lot of things still need to be ironed out there. Not that the Raffle doesn't need some figuring out too...

For movies, I like sorted by genre only what do we do if a movie fits in more than one genre?

7/10/2011 #550
Elennar

@ Movie Lists

Movie 1: I thought blabla. | Movie 2: I thought blabla

This, IMO. I think it would make things a lot less cluttered, and I dunno, neat? For mods, list makers and users. I mean, sure, there may be quite a few overlaps amongst the lists, but that's OK, right? I mean, BR has (and it should) multiple reviews for one title.

Of course, if you go for:

Review of Movie 1 Link

Review of Movie 2 Link

(If that's what the majority wants or something)

Then list makers should totally have to maintain everything: it's only fair. Or, as my scary corpse lookalike teacher says, "It's your baby. Deliver it."

Or can people do whatever?

Well, wouldn't chaos descend on us all and kill us as we sleep? XD But seriously, though, I'm thinking sticking to one method would be the best.

I personally think that having the lists be linked to (rather than users' list) would be more beneficial. If someone wants to see a Comedy for example, they can easily scan the list overview post to see if there are any comedy lists and not have to browse through each user's personal list posts.

I agree totally! That's what my original idea was, the second possibility just occurred to me as I was writing that post, and I thought I'd just include it; but linking to individual lists makes much more sense.

Oh, and about what to include in the list items; in keeping with the more chilled out ambience of CR, why not keep the "mandatory" fields to a bare minimum?

Like,

Name

IMDB Link

Potential Warnings (Because it'd make it easier for people to identify right away which ones aren't their cup of tea)

The subjective opinion would be a good thing, but maybe a little redundant (and hence, not mandatory as such) because the IMDB link is being provided, and that has enough reviews to begin with. Yeah, that's my personal opinion/vote. :)

Oh, another thing to consider!

Unlike BR which can only have reviews (so editing the first post is prolly much simpler because there's a clear cut point after which new reviews get submitted), CR has lots of things happening simultaneously. So there might be a chance of list posts being lost under the other things. Would it be a good idea to have every list maker mandatorily PM a mod/one of the mods straight after he/she makes a new list, asking to be included in the first post?

7/10/2011 . Edited 7/10/2011 #551
Elennar

@ Movie Lists

@Mini's Input

Hey, sorry, I totally didn't see your post there!

While I do get the appeal of sorting lists according to genre, I'm a little ambivalent about it because of the logistics involved. I mean, individual movies themselves fall into multiple genres with unfailing regularity: so sorting lists of movies by genre might be a problem. You could, of course, have a category titled "Miscellaneous" for lists that don't conform: but I speak for only myself when I say that most of my lists will probably end up in it. XD

So, in case of my opinion, for what it's worth: I don't think we need to sort the lists by genre. BR doesn't do it, for example. While the genre needs to be mentioned in the review, the 'index' doesn't have them.

But, if we do go ahead and do it by genre, I'm thinking it'd be a good idea of having the list genre as a "mandatory field" in a user's post.

7/10/2011 #552
lookingwest

So yeah, this is the time to claim a thread if you want XD

I'll let you go ahead since I haven't been in the process of any of this either...unless you want a good copy and paster. I'm good at that, lols.

7/11/2011 #553
Compton

I know I'm a little late but if you I'll be an examinator for the RM. If you want my help just let me know. :)

7/12/2011 #554
dragonflydreamer

@RM - Sorry for the delay. I'll examinate.

@New threads - You can go ahead, Frac, unless of course you don't want the extra work, haha. Either way is fine for me.

7/12/2011 #555
simpleplan13

Just to be clear, you are both going to examinate?

7/12/2011 #556
Compton

Sure, I'll do it right now.

7/12/2011 . Edited 7/12/2011 #557
Compton

Just a quick question, I'm doing Boy at War's examination, I'm just wondering how it's supposed to look since it's my first time doing this. I know the rules and how many points to take off for each thing and all but how is it supposed to look?

7/12/2011 #558
dragonflydreamer

Sorry I haven't been on. @Clingo - Yup, all looks fine :) @Mini - I'll double-check Clingo's examination, but don't worry about waiting for me to post.

7/13/2011 #559
Fractured Illusion

Ok, so:

Mini you could be in charge of the Scavenger Hunt thread then? I'll take the Review Raffle.

Because I feel the rules for Review Raffle are more clear than SH, the prototype post for that will be made first.

There's still some holes tho that need to be filled, so stay tuned for my questions and stuff.

I'll start working on it now.

7/14/2011 #560
Fractured Illusion

PROTOTYPE FIRST POST + RULES FOR REVIEW RAFFLE:

[rules can either be constructed like numerals and added into Read This First! or being constructed after headlines, like WCC, and be in the first post.]

[I am only doing the WCC-styled rulemaking because it is easier to think of stuff to add and detract that way, but it can be done into numbers afterwards!]

-

This is the place to go for a monthly [?] game of chance. Unless stated otherwise, the number of participants are always 5 [?]. Each pick a number between 1 to 5. Chance will decide what the winning number is.

Stories and poems are welcome.

Anyone can participate. Except if you have won two times in a row, you are not allowed to win the third, but you are allowed to participate. [? I copypasted this from WCC, should we have this restriction too?]

This happens during the same time-frame every month, see under the headline Time Frame for more info. [? Once per month or more?]

---

Moving on, this is the basic structure of Writing Challenge Contest:

Person 1: The game has begun! Pick a number from 1 to 5!

Person 2: 3!

Person 3: 1

Person 4: 5

Person 5: 2

Person 6: 4!

Person 1: I rolled my dice and the winning number is 3! Person 2 is thus the winner and all participants must review her with an Easy Fix review, see below in the post for the review requirements.

Contest over!

-

Contests:

Contests are opened by a moderator and it is a moderator that is responsible for getting a winning number. [? maybe add that the mod in charge of the round cant participate in that round since the obvious risk of cheating?]

Registration requirements:

Your registration is where you post your number. You are only allowed to choose one number. First come, first served.

If you accidentally chose a number after someone else had already picked it, you are not counted as a valid participant. You are allowed to edit such a post only to alert the mod of your mistake. To be a participant, you must make a new post with a new number that hasn't been picked yet. That post you are not allowed to edit.

By registering you agree to, in case you win, recieve reviews from your fellow participants. If you lose, you agree to review the winner with an easy fix review.

If you have participated in a previous Review Raffle but have not reviewed the winner + PMed Fractured Illusion, you are not allowed to be a participant in future Review Raffles, even if you have not passed the deadline. [?? I added this because if this is more frequent than WCC (which seems strongly hinted at) then maybe the RR's will be several a month, and people can get very much in "debt" if they keep playin and hold off reviewing. Also it seems it'd be hard to manage/maintain who owes what without such a restriction. Thoughts?]

Reviews:

Each participants reviews the winner. The winner need not review anyone.

The review has to follow the Easy Fix standard, which is the same for both poems and stories.

Time Frame:

? [when should this happen?]

If not all slots have been filled by the time the registration deadline ends, the round will still be held. The missing numbers will not be counted in as potential winning numbers.

Obligations:

Those who did not win, but likewise are registered participants, must

- review the winner with an easy fix review (re-reviewing a chapter/story is not allowed unless all else has been reviewed already)

- PM Fractured Illusion the title of the piece they reviewed

- do both of these before the set deadline

Extension:

If you cannot review the winner within the set deadline, ask for an extension. You will be granted one extra week then. Extensions are not given due to laziness, but due to circumstances making you unable to give the review. Thus we expect those granted an extension to not use the forum before reviewing. If you do, your extension will cease. You ask for an extension in time, not after you missed the deadline.

-

hastily made, but I hope I covered most of it. dont be afraid to point out spelling mistakes etc nor your opinions

7/14/2011 . Edited 7/15/2011 #561
simpleplan13

I can do scavenger hunt... did you want me to make the prototype first rule & post or did I just sign on to hand it after it's created?

I think once per month is ok... I think weekly would be too much to handle and biweekly would maybe get confusing...

"Unless stated otherwise, the number of participants are always 5"... I would say this number should be higher...

"Except if you have won two times in a row, you are not allowed to win the third, but you are allowed to participate."... If you keep this rule then what happens if they win? I mean it's not like WCC where people just can't vote for them (I'm assuming) they have as good a shot as anyone to win. So would they just have to give their reviews away? Also, I think with WCC it's a talent thing so trying to level it a little like this makes sense, but this is all chance so I dunno if there really needs to be a max number of consecutive wins allowed.

I agree that the mod doing it shouldn't be allowed to participate.

" you cannot pick that number and must make a new registration post with a different number. Edits are not allowed."... I would actually say to edit the post with the repeat number telling a mod to delete it or saying that it is not the right number or something. Also, I would put that if you accidentally chose the same number you will not be considered a valid participant.

"you are not allowed to be a participant in future Review Raffles, even if you have not passed the deadline." I agree with this if it's more than once a month though I would phrase it a little clearer.

"review the winner with an easy fix review (re-reviewing a chapter/story is not allowed unless all else has been reviewed already)".. what happens if they've already reviewed all the stories?

7/15/2011 #562
Fractured Illusion

I can do scavenger hunt... did you want me to make the prototype first rule & post or did I just sign on to hand it after it's created?

No, I'll be in charge of writing that. I just want to deal with one thing at a time tho. This one is less complicated and gets to be dealt with first.

"Unless stated otherwise, the number of participants are always 5"... I would say this number should be higher...

I put a low number since I assumed it would be more than once a month, but if it's only once a month, I agree the number should be higher.

Also, just thought of this - there should be a registration deadline, so if not all numbers arent filled, teh game still carries on, so its not stagnant forever.

If you keep this rule then what happens if they win? I mean it's not like WCC where people just can't vote for them (I'm assuming) they have as good a shot as anyone to win. So would they just have to give their reviews away? Also, I think with WCC it's a talent thing so trying to level it a little like this makes sense, but this is all chance so I dunno if there really needs to be a max number of consecutive wins allowed.

I was just thinking I roll the dice again (not that they give up their win) to carry out that rule, should it be part of the rules.

" you cannot pick that number and must make a new registration post with a different number. Edits are not allowed."... I would actually say to edit the post with the repeat number telling a mod to delete it or saying that it is not the right number or something. Also, I would put that if you accidentally chose the same number you will not be considered a valid participant.

Agreed. Will add.

"review the winner with an easy fix review (re-reviewing a chapter/story is not allowed unless all else has been reviewed already)".. what happens if they've already reviewed all the stories?

I assumed it was the same as with WCC and RM and such. Winner gets to decide if they want the participant to re-review them or if they want to donate the review to someone else. Do you want another method to solve it?

7/15/2011 #563
Compton

Um, quick question. Will anyone 'officially' announce the winners of RM?

7/20/2011 #564
Elennar

Yeah, Mini announces that.:)

7/21/2011 #565
Boy at War

I'm having serious trouble gaining any momentum with my writing. I have a feeling it's because I haven't been writing anything different, the problem with that though is that when I try to write something else it slowly turns into the thing I was avoiding. What would you do in this situation?

7/21/2011 #566
Fractured Illusion

I'm having serious trouble gaining any momentum with my writing. I have a feeling it's because I haven't been writing anything different, the problem with that though is that when I try to write something else it slowly turns into the thing I was avoiding. What would you do in this situation?

I think you meant to post in Help With Your Writing.

I can't re-direct posts so you'll have to repost it there.

7/21/2011 #567
Boy at War

Whoa! I totally didn't see which thread this was my apologies.

7/21/2011 #568
Compton

Oh I just wanted to know. Thanks.

7/21/2011 #569
simpleplan13

I will be making the RM post soon! I extended Review Squad registration 'cause I forgot to make the reminder post about that until late so once Review Squad registration is over I will announce the winners.

7/21/2011 #570
« Prev Page 1 .. 9 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 29 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Fractured Illusion Dr. Self Destruct, dragonflydreamer, lookingwest, Lime-Cat, simpleplan13, Imalefty
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member