The Review Game
News: We have a new For Fun thread called Chain Story! Go crazy with it.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 12 .. Last Next »
Otseis Ragnarok
Not really a specific ammount of noun/pronoun/verb ratio... Just avoid using it for EVERY goddamn sentance... It gets really annoying. As I say, Go with a good beta, and he/she/it(?) will tell you if the 'ratio' seems off...
2/6/2008 #31
concerto49
Okay, but how and where do you go with a good beta? And 'it'? You mean some machine?
2/6/2008 #32
Otseis Ragnarok
Well, a beta could be anyone you could trust enough to read your stuff before you post. A friend, family relative, etc.
2/6/2008 #33
BlackNhite
Well, a beta could be anyone you could trust enough to read your stuff before you post. A friend, family relative, etc.

So... me and Eric are editors without pay?

2/6/2008 #34
KnittingKneedle
I'm never sure who to go with for a beta... (you can probably tell, reading the stuff I come out with)

I don't really have any friends who would be into that sort of thing...and well family...hmm, I'm not sure how they'd react- my poor father is still under the impression that I have never been drunk :}

2/6/2008 #35
Fractured Illusion
So... me and Eric are editors without pay?

I sense a rebellion about to form...

About the nouns sentence starting thing: it REALLY annoys me when it is all/almost all I see. I just can't read much more of such stories. The writing is just so flat then. :/ Amazing how the first word of a sentence can determine so much, haha.

2/6/2008 #36
BlackNhite
Amazing how the first word of a sentence can determine so much, haha.

Shit!

I'll bet that one caught your attention! THAT'S how you start something revolutionary, just one word-BLAM!

2/6/2008 #37
KnittingKneedle
Blarrg naughty word!

I wouldn't reccommend using it in an essay for school though

2/6/2008 #38
Fractured Illusion
You are right!

For a moment, I thought you were worried! :D

As for betas, I think I saw a big forum on this site for those...but generally speaking, since hardly anyone people know is a English professor, just pass it around to as many as you can for character opinions and easy spelling and grammar stuff, blabla opinions.

There are more "proffesional" writing sites out there. narc was a memeber of one! Can't remember what it was called though...

2/6/2008 #39
BlackNhite
I wouldn't reccommend using it in an essay for school though

Funny you should say that, I once got away with starting a sentence like that, just because the essay was so awesome!

Or maybe those were my journal entries...

Can't believe I let that guy read those.

2/6/2008 . Edited 2/6/2008 #40
Fractured Illusion
Speaking of journals!

I hate, hate hate when people on this site, whenever they write a journal entry or letter, they put the entire damned thing in italics! Ugh! My eyes! How HARD does it have to be to suffer through their pieces? It is not like we are getting paid -.-'' People overestimate their own awesomeness too often, I believe.

And I am talking about when the letter/journal is an entire chapter by itself. If regular text was around, that would be half a reason to make it in italics just so people won't get confused (but it is not like they would anyway!) but in a chapter by itself? And put it in annoying italics? No. Just no.

Who's with me?

2/6/2008 #41
BlackNhite
Man, i wish i had the option of writing THIS in italics, just to piss you off...
2/6/2008 #42
KnittingKneedle
Oh I totally agree...my eyesight is piss poor already (I refuse to wear glasses on grounds of vanity)

And of course people overestimate their awesommness! It's quite annoying sometimes...

2/6/2008 #43
BlackNhite
... why did that last post scream "contradictory" to me...?
2/6/2008 #44
Fractured Illusion
@Ting Tong- Even worse is when they are being a bitch about it! I mean, hey, I am being NICE and doing CHARITY WORK telling them that no one will read their story since their eyes will DIE from trying to read it!

Bwah! People these days! So ungrateful *bothered sigh and shakes head*

2/6/2008 #45
BlackNhite
Is there anybody here on Fanfiction.net as well as this site?
2/6/2008 . Edited 2/6/2008 #46
Otseis Ragnarok
I am!!!

Also, I think Lady-phill is too... we had a conversation about this a while ago...

2/7/2008 #47
tabiscus
I was on fanfic a long time ago...like before i came to fp....do you know how long that is? Look at the date of my "since". Then subtract a year...

Er, anyways.

Can you guys give me as many synonyms for "said" and "walk"? The thesaurus never helps...

I think the worst part about papers is not just passive, but when they make you do present tense. Which is infiitely difficult for me, since i write in the past tense.

2/8/2008 #48
Narc
Nooo! Tabi! Resist the said-bookism urge!
2/9/2008 #49
Fractured Illusion
I agree with Narc. "Said" is better than its synonyms. :P

Walk though...hmm...skip? Strut? I dunno.

2/9/2008 #50
KnittingKneedle
there was a website i remeber that had loads of good variations on said...can't for the life of me remember it though

maybe tabby might like to search for it (doubt it *snerk*)

virginity yess!

2/9/2008 . Edited 2/9/2008 #51
tabiscus
Ooooh, fine. Since you're so good at looking things up why dont i just give all my research projects, huh?

I shall avoid them, narc. on my honor.

2/9/2008 #52
Otseis Ragnarok
You could always use thesaurus.com I know I tend to use(or is it abuse?)it...
2/9/2008 #53
Imalefty
okay, i have a question...

how long do you guys think a chapter should be on ficpress? like... what's "too long" or "too short?"

-Lefty

2/9/2008 #54
tabiscus
i always go for about 5 pages, maybe more. Hell, i've seen ppl do 20 pages in one chappie.
2/9/2008 #55
Imalefty
O_O whoa 20 pages! i don't think i'd want to read all that... :\ mine are always about 3-4 pages... but that's because i always have a lot of dialogue. XD

-Lefty

2/9/2008 #56
KnittingKneedle
I usually do about 5-7, I try to stay around the 3,000-4,000 word mark...just because I'm anal about consistent chapters, and they come out like that...
2/9/2008 #57
Narc
What's good for fictionpress and what's good in a novel aren't necessarily the same. On fictionpress I'd say try to avoid more than 4000 words so that it isn't a daunting read. In a novel the chapter length doesn't matter so much, what really matters (I think) is that it fits the pacing of the story.

My suggestion, if you end up with a super-long chapter and are worried about length, would be to publish the two chapters as part a and part b instead of as a whole.

2/9/2008 #58
tabiscus
Yup, i agree wit narc and ting tong. Definity 5-7 is average.
2/9/2008 #59
KnittingKneedle
Question about having lots of fics on the go here.

Having a little nosy around the site, I found this really great story- but was disturbed to find that the author had like three stories on the go. Just wondered what people's opinions are of this...it seems to be quite a common occurance and I just wondered why that is

Is it possible to write really successfully when you have to switch between plots and characters?

2/9/2008 #60
« Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 12 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Fractured Illusion Dr. Self Destruct, dragonflydreamer, lookingwest, Lime-Cat, simpleplan13, Imalefty
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member