The Review Game
News: We have a new For Fun thread called Chain Story! Go crazy with it.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »
Imalefty

Hello everyone! Lucienofshadow suggested we create this topic, so here it is!

The title is pretty self explanatory... you can recommend books (or fiction on FP, if you want) and get recommendations here. :) Also, feel free to request reading... either on FP or in real life. Please do not recommend "manga" or "anime," as these are not considered books or "reading material." They are graphic novels. However, if you have a manga or anime that is based off of a novel or other work (such as manga Shakespeare or Howl's Moving Castle) then feel free to recommend it. :)

YOU CANNOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, RECOMMEND YOURSELF. ahem.

Now... RECOMMEND SOMETHING! :D

-Lefty

2/23/2008 . Edited by Fractured Illusion, 11/7/2008 #1
unemployed-joy
I recommend...

Hm...

Then We Came to the End - Joshua Ferris

&

The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath.

I kept a running list of the books I read in 2007, and those were by far my two favorites (I read the Bell Jar twice).

The first one is really super funny. It's like Office Space and The Office in book form. And The Bell Jar is for the angsty little intellectual girl in all of us.

2/23/2008 #2
KnittingKneedle
I recommend:

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

*sweet and sad and funny*

Howards End by EM Forster

*what a weepy, even better than the film which is just fab!*

White Teeth by Zadie Smith

*that woman CAN write*

The Shell House by Linda Newberry

*it's aimed at young adults, but MY GOD the subject matter is incredible and handled so sensetively*

2/23/2008 #3
LucienofShadow
'This Immortal' by Roger Zelazny. I swear, I get something new out of that book every time I read it. I'm not sure how he got so much meaning into what is a fairly short book, but he did, and it's fantastic. One of the few books I've been willing to read more than once.
2/23/2008 #4
Imalefty
i, too, read "the lovely bones." it was surprisingly good. sad, though.

-Lefty

2/23/2008 #5
Midnight In Eden
Title: The Reader

Author: Bernhard Schlink

Medium: Fiction/Novel

Why You Should Read It: One of the best books I've read. It deals with the Holocaust in a way that no one has done before and will do again. It is brilliantly written and the subject matter well negotiated. Such superb writing that you will want to read it again as soon as you've finished it.

Title: The Fall

Author: Virgilio Piñera Llera

Medium: Fiction/Short Story

Why You Should Read It: Short, blunt and brutal. The best micro fiction I've ever read as well as the best extended metaphor I've come across.

I just finished re-reading those two for the millionth time, they are my favorite pieces of fiction.

2/24/2008 #6
Sekhra
I would suggest...

Hunted by N.M. Browne.

It's a novel about a girl in a coma and where her mind goes while her body is sleeping. N.M. Browne is amazingly good at conspiracy and intrigue stuff, and she puts you in the middle of the action without feeling overwhelmed. I especially like trying to figure out all the religions she creates for her different settings.

Green Angel by Alice Hoffman.

This is a novel, I suppose, but it's very short and artfully written. Maybe I'm a sentimental sucker, but I adore this book because it goes from normal girl to horribly depressed girl to getting-better girl in an extremely rewarding fashion. I'm not normally one for the whole "healing" scene, but this book is a treasure. The language is beautiful and the imagery and symbolism are exquisite. I've read it four or five times and I still get a different impression every time I read it. Also of note: this is not a whiny drug addict book or a bullied-at-school book. It happens in a story universe unlike our own.

And for a more light-hearted read,

Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones.

I don't know why I love this book as much as I do, but I suppose one of the reasons is because every time I read it, I'm always entertained. The characters grow on you extremely rapidly and the world is so skewed that you can't help but love it. If you've seen the Miyazaki movie, I still want you to read the book. For one, they're very different stories, and for another, (with very few exceptions) books inevitably trump their movie imitators.

PopCo by Scarlett Thomas.

It's a novel full of code-breaking and deciphering a la The Da Vinci Code , except without all that biblical we-could-change-the-world stuff. Instead, it has a more modern revolution going on. Plus, the fact that the narrator is such a packed character with a sarcastic wit and an unsatisfactory job at a toy company makes this completely entertaining while you're reading your way to the finale.

Finally, I'd just like to say, if you haven't read the Sabriel/Lirael/Abhorsen series by Garth Nix, please do. His rendition of Death thrills me every time, and the whole ancient-ruins-meets-modern-day thing really grabs you. They're a must for anyone who enjoys fantasy of any sort.

Maybe I'm a nerd, but the other must-reads for me are Shakespeare and Oscar Wilde as well as The Faerie Queene by Edmund Spenser. They're classics, they're full of wit and clever literary devices, they'll improve your writing, and they're enjoyable reads even for casual readers. I, personally, love the intensity of the language in The Faerie Queene, and Oscar Wilde's ironic sense of humor makes me laugh.

2/24/2008 #7
Otseis Ragnarok
I think I'll take a look at Hunted...

I really suggest y'all look into Making History, by Stephen Fry.

The authi=or is raelly good at what he does, and kept me interested to the point where I blasted through in 3 days... It was a bout a british man who made the world so that Hitler never existed... I loved it.

Other suggestions? Well, On this site, I particularly liked one titled "The Angelic Massacre" by Aimee Straughston... It was one of my first reviews on this site, I strongly recommend it for anyone who likes reading online...

2/24/2008 #8
KnittingKneedle
Omg...I love Stephen Fry, I read his book Moab is my Washpot...not as weird as it sounds, really quite good.
2/24/2008 #9
Otseis Ragnarok
Hmmm... Nope, all I've read from him was Makihng History. I guess I don't really read real books very much, though...

Oh, another good one: 1984, by George Orwell... Most have probably heard of it, but if you haven't read it, you really should!

2/24/2008 #10
Imalefty
1984 was really good. creepy, though. XD

in that vein... go read oryx and crake. the first few chapters are kind of like "what??" but it's similar to 1984 and has a really great twist... :)

-Lefty

2/25/2008 #11
Kioasakka
I really recommend "The Darkangel" trilogy by Merideth Ann Pierce.

What's really interesting in this trilogy is that it takes place on Earth's moon, which has been long cultivated into a planet of its own accord, with societies such as the fierce slave country of Terrain. Because of this, the days are called 'daymonths'. The sun is also called Solstar, sunset being Solset, and the earth is called Oceanus.

On Fictionpress, I highly recommend "Tantalus Theory" by Aubrey Moore.

http://www.fictionpress.com/s/2471829/1/

2/25/2008 . Edited 2/25/2008 #12
Otseis Ragnarok
I highly recommend "Tantalus Theory" by Aubrey Moore.

Y'know, thaty's funny, but I started reading that, and really got into it....

2/26/2008 #13
LucienofShadow
I can't believe I forgot to mention this earlier. "The Name of the Wind." Fantastic first book for the author. You'll never read a more realistic fantasy novel.
2/28/2008 #14
Esther Jade
If you like "1984", you should read "Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley. "1984" feels like it could have happened but didn't; "Brave New World" feels like it still could. Both books depressed me for about a week. And I don't use the word depressed lightly because I really have been depressed...(overshare)
2/28/2008 #15
Otseis Ragnarok
I start3ed reading brave new world, but it was just so boring....
2/29/2008 #16
Esther Jade
Yeah, it's not that gripping but I found that once I got into it, the ideas were really interesting.

I may be a masochist - I put myself through terrible starts all the time. Though sometimes it pays off. The Silmarillion starts off so boring it's worse than reading the textbook of a subject you have no interest in. But it's really worthwhile in the end (once you get into the style and can concentrate on the stories). I found it made Lord of the Rings make so much more sense.

3/4/2008 #17
Imalefty
okay, so i was chatting in the off topic topic and this came up:

"How to Write Suspense"

http://jaypinkerton.com/writing-great-suspense/

it's amazing; i got it from my english teacher. :) go read! (it's pretty short)

-Lefty

3/4/2008 #18
Narc
I have a bunch of stories on my favorites list. But my two favorites of all time are "Macabre Design Blue" by Mirotori (story ID 1980502) and Andwyrden by Alfsigesey (story ID 2263896). Those are two stories that are the kind I wanted to go back and read all over again, just because I enjoyed them that much. Unfortunately, Mirotori isn't writing on here anymore, but the story's complete.
3/5/2008 #19
Otseis Ragnarok
If y'all don't mind fanfics, I really reccomend Sinners By Slash Firestorm...

It's on adultFanfiction, so don't read unless you're in the mood for a little smut... But it is very good beyond all that anyway...

3/7/2008 #20
Kyllorac
Nocte Yin by the point (http://www.fictionpress.com/u/462467/) is a very good series. The writing of the first two books is a bit painful to read at first, but it is definitely worth the effort. The characters and characterization are great and the world they live in is thought out enough so as to add to the story. It's one of my favorite series period and I'd so buy it if it were published.
3/9/2008 #21
sugaplumprincess
ohh how has no one said "The Great Gatsby" yet? it's one of my favorites, the kind we read in English and then I went out and bought my own copy of.

"Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" is good if you like a good, quick, post-apocalyptic scifi

Bill Bryson is great for nonfiction, it's a really entertaining way to soak up lots of information.

And Jasper Fforde's books, like "The Eyre Affair" and the insane world he developed that just gets crazier with each installment are a lot of fun.

3/9/2008 #22
Otseis Ragnarok
I've read Great Gatsby, but I didn't really like it much...
3/11/2008 #23
Imalefty
i liked it... until we started in with this whole symbolism thing. then i was like: nooo... we went and ruined a perfectly good story! T_T

yeah, i think over analyzing novels totally defeats the purpose... ;_;

-Lefty

3/11/2008 #24
Midnight In Eden
Gatsby is a great story, especially on the surface, but it's even more interesting to look at what lies beneath the surface.

It's always been one of my favourite books for various reasons. Also, the old movie version with Robert Redford? Best adaptation of a book to film that I've seen.

3/11/2008 #25
Imalefty
okay, underneath the surface isn't bad. it's when you spend a whole quarter of a year ripping the poor thing apart that it gets a bit sad. T_T

-Lefty

3/11/2008 #26
Otseis Ragnarok
Even after the analysis, I still didn't like the book...

It was sad, but i really didn't care... The subject matter just didn't catch me...

3/12/2008 #27
sugaplumprincess
yeah, not everybody likes the same thing, and over analysis can really murder a good book.

sometimes i can appreciate a book's quality without actually liking it, like 'beloved' it is well crafted and really well written, you can just see the author's skill, and i just utterly hated the story.

3/12/2008 #28
Fractured Illusion

I haven't posted here, so I might as well!

I am only going to give some FP suggestions as those are so not loved here on this thread. Also because it's hard to find quality.

St Mary's School for Girls by An Inside Joke

Summary: When Sarah Jones accepts a job teaching at an all girls' boarding school, she has no idea what mysteries she'll uncover. Rated for violence.

Genres: Mystery

This is for everyone who adores mystery. I like this writer because she really has a way with her words, and I get sucked in very easily. It is also completed, which is a plus! Don't be discouraged by the lack of reviews, I think it's because the chapters are quite long in FP standard. It's still good, though!

Stupid Prophesies And The People Who Enforce Them by Jack Argyle

Summary: Gary is a sarcastic, easily annoyed people hater who, unfortunately, becomes the Chosen One. This story follows his efforts to prove that the prophecy that got him into this situation is nothing more than the scribbling of a retard.

Genres: Fantasy / Humor

For everyone who loves a fantasty parody! It's clever, exciting, and hilarious! Some weak spots here and there, but it's so easy to get into and adore. I love some of the funny names and spins on clichés this story features. Also a completed work!

From my black little heart by Winter Fox

Summary: What: dos and don'ts, tricks and treats, and questions that aren't asked enough. How: with extreme prejudice, snark and heartless cruelty. Based on author's subjective opinions: not a friendly, patient guide. No, I don't hate fantasy.

Genres: Essay / General

An essay about fantasy, and the author is very clever in her critique of the faults this genre harbors. And very witty! Do read!

Well, those were the meaty, true quality reads. I still have more I like that I think should get a mention:

An Analysis On Analyzation by Seiferre Quintesce

Summary: Kittalyn Mars muses on just how strange her best friend can be - with the help of her shiny new diary.

Genres: General / Friendship

For a first piece on this site, it's a darned good one! The entire one-shot screams of personality and a quirkiness I like. It's a general that features a lot of musings.

The Thrill of It by rider on the storm

Summary: i'm taking a shot at transgressional fiction (like Fight Club, for example) about a girl who is a sociopath basically

Genres: Horror / Angst

This is an incomplete story about a sociopath. I happen to like stories about those so naturally I find this interesting. If you like reading stories about insights on this sort of character, this is your pick! The character's progression is also worth reading it for.

3/12/2008 . Edited 5/4/2008 #29
A.S. Leer
On here I would definitely advise 'Queen of Glass' by S.J. Maas. I'm still reading it, and it's utterly amazing.

Off-site, The Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathon Stroud. Those are great, and some of the funniest books I've ever read.

A good fantasy-suspense-occult novel would be The Haunting of Alaizabel Cray by Chris Wooding.

3/15/2008 #30
Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Fractured Illusion Dr. Self Destruct, dragonflydreamer, lookingwest, Lime-Cat, simpleplan13, Imalefty
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member