The Review Game
News: We have a new For Fun thread called Chain Story! Go crazy with it.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »
Fractured Illusion

This topic is for discussions about books.

Books = fiction, non-fiction, short stories, plays, poetry, graphic novels, manga, comic books. If it has written words, it goes here, I guess you could say.

The discussion can be about a specific book, author, or a general chat. Several discussions may go on at once, we have no rules of order for that. This is meant to be a relaxed place.

Other: RG Book Challenge 2010

-

If you have finished reading a book, please go to Book Reviews and tell us what you thought.

-

This topic was previously for Book Club, but Book Cafe officially starts here.

8/25/2008 . Edited 1/1/2010 #1
Fractured Illusion

Previously, this topic was called Book Club wherein we decided a story to read and discuss together. The idea flopped, and the below is how far we got until we gave up.

-

Read books:

- The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

- The Animals, by ArcticBanana

- Queen of Glass by S.J Maas

- Let the right one in by John Ajvide Lindqvist

8/25/2008 . Edited 9/4/2010 #2
Fractured Illusion

WE WILL BEGIN OUR DISCUSSION WITH A BOOK RATHER THAN FP FIC!

PLEASE PUT FORWARD ALL YOUR NOMINATIONS OF WHICH TO PICK!

We have 1 week in total to decide unless circumstances beg to differ.

Also, tell if you agree with others nominations.

8/25/2008 #3
Fractured Illusion

Since I have wanted to read this since forever, I will also nominate it!

The Count of Monte Cristo (by Alexander Dumas)

- Summary: A young man, falsely imprisoned by his jealous "friends," escapes and uses a hidden treasure to exact his revenge. It is primarily concerned with themes of hope, justice, vengeance, mercy, forgiveness and death, and is told in the style of an adventure story.

- Wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Count_of_Monte_Cristo

- Length: circa 1,168 pages as unabridged version. Abridged version is roughly half as much.

(I got the first sentence of the summary from a movie summary. It was near impossible finding anything short concerning the book in question!)

Remember, you can nominate however much and often you want.

8/25/2008 . Edited 8/25/2008 #4
Sercus Kaynine

This book club thing sounds like an excellent idea! Since it sounds pretty good, I'll second Frac's nomination, but I'm also going to suggest one of my own:

The Devil in the White City (by Erik Larson)

Since this book is a national best seller and a National Book Award finalist, some people here might have already read it, but I've been wanting to take a crack at it.

Anyways, the book takes place during the legendary first World's Fair in Chicago in 1893. It's about one of the main architects/engineers behind the fair... and the serial killer who used it as a tool to snatch his victims. It's mostly a historical fiction, of course, but I've heard it's a real interesting read. Click here to learn more about it.

8/25/2008 #5
Fractured Illusion

Thanks, Sir. :)

One question: I made a search through national book stores to find the title in case of a purchase, and I found two variations - the one you used, and "The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair That Changed America". Same author.

Would you happen to know if they are the same but one has a "spiced up title" or if there is something different between them?

8/25/2008 #6
Counting Petals

The Count of Monte Cristo is amazing. I read it last summer, though I accidentally got the abridged version. Which was still 600 pages long. But I still second the nomination.

Anyway, since I really want to read this and it's sitting on my shelf staring at me, I'm going to nominate...

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

-Summary: (from Barnes & Noble) A story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. This dandy, who remains forever unchanged—petulant, hedonistic, vain, and amoral—while a painting of himages and grows increasingly hideous with the years, has been horrifying, enchanting, obsessing, even corrupting readers for more than a hundred years.

-Length: 248 pages

-Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_picture_of_dorian_gray

8/25/2008 . Edited 8/25/2008 #7
Fractured Illusion

I strongly second Dorian Gray! I want to read that one too.

8/25/2008 #8
Sercus Kaynine

@Frac

Yeah, they're the same book, I just didn't bother to write the fancy stuff. ;)

Oooh! That ones sounds good too! I third Dorian Gray! Geez, at this rate I'll be voting for everything...

8/25/2008 . Edited 8/25/2008 #9
Fractured Illusion

I edited in how long Count of Monte Cristo is, btw.

Anyhow, here is the count (har har) so far:

- Count of Monte Cristo: 4 nominations

- The Devil in the White City: 1 nominaton

- The Picture of Dorian Gray: 5 nominations

8/25/2008 . Edited 8/26/2008 #10
Kyllorac

Another vote for The Picture of Dorian Gray!

It can be read online here (all hail Project Gutenberg!) - http://www.gutenberg.org/files/174/174-h/174-h.htm

8/25/2008 #11
dragonflydreamer

Well, since I've been wanting to read it for months, I second (err . . . fourth?) the nomination of Count of Monte Cristo.

8/25/2008 . Edited 8/25/2008 #12
N.J Robinson

I vote for Dorian Gray.

8/25/2008 #13
Fractured Illusion

Hmm...should I take this to the poll or should we await more books to be mentioned?

You decide.

8/26/2008 #14
Kyllorac

Wait till Wednesday for the poll, methinks. Middle of the week and all that. :P

8/26/2008 #15
A.S. Leer

My vote goes to the Count of Monte Cristo. I've been wanting to read it for ages thanks to an anime based off of it I saw part of...

(Glad poll hasn't started yet)

8/26/2008 #16
Kinderwhore

Definitely The Picture of Dorian Gray; I absolutely love Oscar Wilde.

8/26/2008 #17
Fractured Illusion

Reposting the count since I will be confused where I left off otherwise:

- Count of Monte Cristo: 5 nominations

- The Devil in the White City: 2 nominatons

- The Picture of Dorian Gray: 6 nominations

- Anna Karenina: 1 nomination

--

NEW NOMINATION!

I have this book begging to be read, so why not? :p It's also been well received so we might learn a thing or two :)

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy

Length: circa 800 pages is my book (Wiki says 864 though. Though maybe that is for hardback?)

Summary: The married Anna Karenina falls in love with Count Vronsky despite her husband's refusal to grant a divorce, and both must contend with the social repercussions.

(again, a movie summary, because for the books they are just so impossibly large! Does anyone know a good place to find short and concise summaries of books?)

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anna_Karenina

8/27/2008 . Edited 8/27/2008 #18
simpleplan13

I've already read The Devil in the White City and I LOVED it, so I would definitely participate in the discussion aspect of that. So there's my nomination.

8/27/2008 #19
Fractured Illusion

Well, I will go and add a poll now! Whichever book that wins by Sunday will be one the book club will read for this round! :)

I thank you all for your participation thus far!

8/28/2008 #20
fatbird33

I will vote for dorian Grey because i bought it and it's been sitting in my bookcase for a while and i need an excuse to read it:)

8/31/2008 #21
Fractured Illusion

That's as good a reason as any :p

I also voted for Dorian Gray, but because I needed an excuse to BUY it ^^;

Edit: Because I will most likely buy the Count of Monte Cristo one day or another, either way. Dorian? Not so sure :o

8/31/2008 . Edited 8/31/2008 #22
Fractured Illusion

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde has been chosen! It won by a landslide, basically. :p

Discussions of this book will last for two months unless others object.

Discussions start at: September 1st

Discussions end at: November 1st

-Summary: (from Barnes & Noble) A story of a young man who sells his soul for eternal youth and beauty. This dandy, who remains forever unchanged—petulant, hedonistic, vain, and amoral—while a painting of himages and grows increasingly hideous with the years, has been horrifying, enchanting, obsessing, even corrupting readers for more than a hundred years.

-Length: 248 pages

-Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_picture_of_dorian_gray

--

As of today, you are free to comment about this book. Use spoiler tags, though, and state which chapters you are speaking of, if any specific events are mentioned!

Have fun :)

9/1/2008 #23
Fractured Illusion

For everyone with a tight budget and no access to the library, I wish to remind what Kyllorac already stated:

the book is available in its entirety at Project Guthenburg.

http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/authors/w#a111

9/1/2008 #24
A.S. Leer

I have just requested the book at the library! Hopefully it comes in soon and I can get started on it. ^.^

9/1/2008 #25
Counting Petals

Chapter 1

Basil Hallward says, "An artist should create beautiful things, but should put nothing of his own life into them." What is the truth of this statement?

Discuss.

9/1/2008 #26
Nicki BluIs

Chapter 1

I disagree wholly with that statement. In high school I took a course called Theory of Knowledge. Most of it was trippy metaphysical bull but if I learned one thing it is that EVERYTHING is subjective. That said I feel an artist's creation is inextricably bound to the artist's life. Put two artists in front of the same fruit basket and I guarantee you their pictures will be different. In fact it is important to note that Basil acknowledged that his best work came from putting himself into it. That landscape that he refused to sell for example. What is the point of trying to remove yourself from your art if the result is mediocre?

9/4/2008 #27
Nicki BluIs

How's progress you guys? It's kinda lonely in here...

9/5/2008 #28
Nicki BluIs

Chapter 2

Lord henry says: "Always! That is a dreadful word. It makes me shudder when I hear it. Women are so fond of using it. They spoil every romance by trying to make it last for ever..."

discuss!

9/5/2008 #29
Kirrithian

How's progress you guys?

I'm somewhere in chapter four, and having been reading it on project gutenburg. It's quite interesting how Dorian Gray is protrayed, and how he's changed so much over a few chapters, yet is still not a character with all the speeches.

I will at some point contribute more to the discussions, but only when I'm sure that what I'm saying isn't absolute carp that gets nowhere, as it so often is. I waffle too much.

9/6/2008 #30
Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Fractured Illusion Dr. Self Destruct, dragonflydreamer, lookingwest, Lime-Cat, simpleplan13, Imalefty
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member