The Review Game
News: We have a new For Fun thread called Chain Story! Go crazy with it.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 .. Last Next »
lookingwest

oh thank god a new page.

9/3/2015 #151
lookingwest

WELP. Writing-wise. Still frustrated.

Basically, I took Lot out this time and I'm trying to just make the TOWN the thing that turns on Woden on their own (slow buildup of hate for years and years).

Now I'm struggling on how to portray that since Woden is really unreliable in the sense that he's been well, ignoring the townspeople's anger for years and years - which means when this house burning thing happens, and the stake burning - it seems like it's sort of coming out of nowhere. but it isn't. XD but i don't know how to portray that. XDD

9/3/2015 #152
Inkspilled

Ugh, yeah, that's really tough, Potter. :/ I don't even have any advice because what I do generally includes a lot of crappy attempts at trying to change my mood by controlling environmental factors and triggers and just flat out faking it, or sometimes doing nothing for a while to gather up the energy to attempt to get some momentum going, which usually fails or doesn't last long and then repeating that until my state of mind does change.

9/3/2015 #153
Inkspilled
like he's super smart, he knows when he should be doing things and he isn't. that makes him feel INCREDIBLY full of guilt, thus immobilizing him further.

omg, i spend a /lot/ of time waffling over things and feeling guilty. Turning that guilt around and letting it build up into motivation is really important. What I hate most about it is all the lost time is creates, though. Like I feel like I'm just always going to be slower in more typical aspects of "normal" life. But it's okay. Try setting little goals to start because it really helps to build up a little bit of confidence to get going.

9/3/2015 #154
Inkspilled

But yeah, idek if any of that helps bc it's probably totally different for everyone. :/

9/3/2015 #155
deadaccount2019

I know it's not a popular attitude these days, but if he's using guilt as a crutch he needs to suck it up and do something, whether that means dealing with potential depression or getting a job. There's a time and place for angsting, but it sounds like it's getting to a point where he's letting it harm you both.

9/3/2015 . Edited 9/3/2015 #156
deadaccount2019
Now I'm struggling on how to portray that since Woden is really unreliable in the sense that he's been well, ignoring the townspeople's anger for years and years - which means when this house burning thing happens, and the stake burning - it seems like it's sort of coming out of nowhere. but it isn't. XD but i don't know how to portray that. XDD

Go for it! Nothing like being swept up with the character in shock and awe. :D Also, if I recall correctly, it's hinted before the fire that the town isn't crazy about him anyway.

9/3/2015 #157
Dr. Self Destruct

I don't know if you've already tried this, Potter, but it might help if you try looking for jobs with Mike too. Maybe help him put together a resume and stuff. I feel like that might help him feel more confident in his abilities, and it'll show him all the different skill sets he has. (I did this with Justin when he was thinking of working somewhere else.) Plus it might help his self-esteem if you're involved, like it's more about you wanting him to get out there for a sense of self-fulfillment / make some friends instead of it just being a money thing.

But just keep in mind that it's really hard to get a job when you have no connections. My first job I got was the only job I had applied to, and I only got the interview because I already knew someone who worked for Best Buy. Second and third times I've tried to find a job, can't tell you how many places I've applied to and never heard from them. Took me three months to get a job at a damn grocery store, after applying to about 20 retail places with 5 years of experience in retail under my belt.

9/3/2015 #158
Dr. Self Destruct

Soooo, we're supposed to have a discussion post due on tomorrow for one of my classes, and the professor hasn't even posted the prompt / discussion board yet. I don't know if this is an oversight on her end or what, but...yeah. lol

9/3/2015 #159
deadaccount2019
I don't know if you've already tried this, Potter, but it might help if you try looking for jobs with Mike too. Maybe help him put together a resume and stuff. I feel like that might help him feel more confident in his abilities, and it'll show him all the different skill sets he has. (I did this with Justin when he was thinking of working somewhere else.) Plus it might help his self-esteem if you're involved, like it's more about you wanting him to get out there for a sense of self-fulfillment / make some friends instead of it just being a money thing.

Excellent suggestion.

9/3/2015 #160
lookingwest

Thanks for the help, guys. I think we've resolved it / are feeling better about it tonight.

We talked pretty much for several hours before I had to leave for class. I think that's why I'd put it off too - Mike and I's "arguments" usually tend to stretch for hours and hours and hours of us literally sitting in a room staring at each other making comments, lol.

ANYWAY

he's making a resume right now, actually. i just hope he can find something :[ i mean, in the end - if he's still struggling and can't find ANYTHING, my parents will at least be more willing to support when they know / I know he's trying as hard as he can.

9/3/2015 #161
lookingwest

He's going to drive around this weekend and drop off his resume to all the greenhouses in town, even if they're not hiring.

Idk. It's something. They'll probably hire in the spring and maybe they'll remember him - but w/e.

9/3/2015 #162
lookingwest

i can't remember...but i think i came over here for a diff reason too

9/3/2015 #163
Inkspilled
I've wasted today. D: But maybe I can redeem it if I apply for a bunch of jobs...
9/3/2015 #164
Inkspilled
Sometimes I think I get more creative work done on 11 hour work days. X.X
9/3/2015 #165
Inkspilled

Twine project is stalled dead, I can't even finish this stupid blog post and the deadline's coming like a falling piano and urghhh, my brain sucks.

9/3/2015 #166
Inkspilled

What I need is like, a beta reader/player for the Twine game to tell me what sucks and then maybe that'll stoke my interest in it again. xD But also I need to have this selling and moving into the new house thing dealt with.

9/3/2015 #167
Inkspilled

And I don't know how to write about identity and creative writing. I just don't. Dx I'm also at a block on that. So yeah, *fart noise*.

9/3/2015 #168
Inkspilled

[insert job application spree]

man, if I could move anywhere and wasn't tied down to one region, I would have such better chances. :P

9/3/2015 #169
Inkspilled
Aaaand it's 1:30am... :s how did that happen..
9/3/2015 #170
deadaccount2019
Holy crap. Woke up to 16 degrees and windy. Feels gorgeous
9/4/2015 #171
Dr. Self Destruct
I'm jealous. :( I can't wait for it to get cold here.
9/4/2015 #172
lookingwest

i've written like 10 words in a span of 2 hrs

ugh lol

9/4/2015 #173
lookingwest

hope others are more successful today

9/4/2015 #174
deadaccount2019

1,080 the last six hours, but that's only after I wrote a measly 57 words all day yesterday.

9/4/2015 #175
lookingwest

i had self control on but it really isn't helping

9/4/2015 #176
lookingwest

might give up and nap

9/4/2015 #177
lookingwest

nice though: mike is out right now dropping of his resume places and being productive

9/4/2015 #178
lookingwest

i doubt anything will come of it, BUT hey. he's doing something actively and we can always cross our fingers for a miracle.

9/4/2015 #179
deadaccount2019

I'm actually kind of happy with how this is going so far though. Typically I obsess over keeping things balanced as I'm writing, but this time around the plot is taking centre stage, so even though I'll have to go back and beef up elements like setting, the story itself is at least moving.

9/4/2015 . Edited 9/4/2015 #180
« Prev Page 1 .. 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Fractured Illusion Dr. Self Destruct, dragonflydreamer, lookingwest, Lime-Cat, simpleplan13, Imalefty
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member