The Review Game
News: We have a new For Fun thread called Chain Story! Go crazy with it.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Dr. Self Destruct

-

WRITING CHALLENGE CONTEST

OCTOBER

Time to be scary!

Prompt:

"You think dark is just one color, but it ain't. There're five or six kinds of black. Some silky, some woolly. Some just empty. Some like fingers. And it don't stay still. It moves and changes from one kind of black to another. Saying something is pitch black is like saying something is green. What kind of green? Green like my bottles? Green like a grasshopper? Green like a cucumber, lettuce, or green like the sky is just before it breaks loose to storm? Well, night black is the same way. May as well be a rainbow."

From Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison

Prompt given by last month's winner: Dr. Self Destruct

In your registration post, state that you wish to participate and that you will review the winner. When you have finished your piece, edit the link into the post. Also say what you would like to have reviewed, should you win.

Remember, even though there must be a connection between your submitted piece and the prompt, you need not make "obvious" connections. The prompt is meant to inspire.

Registrations and submissions have now started! Edit in the link to your piece in your registration post once it has been created. You can register and submit your work until the end of the 7th (midnight EST). Remember, one piece per person! We accept both poetry (500 word limit) and stories (2,000 word limit).

*Due to low participation, we may be willing to give extensions on the deadline to no later than the 9th (midnight EST).

If you have any preference on what you want reviewed if you win, write that into your registration post.

It is okay to promote voting through author note or your profile.

If you have any questions, ask at Problems/Questions.

If you find bumps on your way, you can go to Help with your writing and get help there.

Otherwise, Resources for Writing has some nifty links to help you along with uncertain areas.

Also, don't forget to read the first page for all additional rules!

9/30/2015 #3,361
lookingwest

I'm in, have read the rules, and will review the winner.

Entry: Selene

If I win, please review any of the other participants.

10/1/2015 . Edited 10/4/2015 #3,362
Lie Ono

I would like to enter a piece. My piece is The Assassins of Crow's Cemetery.

I have read the rules and understand that I need to review the winner with an in depth review.

10/1/2015 . Edited 10/7/2015 #3,363
Dr. Self Destruct

I'm in and promise to review the winner.

My entry: Chimera

If I win, please review any of the stories by the authors in my favorite authors list.

10/1/2015 . Edited 10/5/2015 #3,364
Encore19

I will enter a story for this month's contest!

I have read the rules and will review the winner with an in depth review!

Entry: Louis Denver

Should I be lucky enough to win I would prefer reviews for my completed stories, apart from this one-shot here.

10/2/2015 . Edited 10/3/2015 #3,365
Solemn Coyote

I'm in, have read the rules, and will review the winner. Yeagh, that deadline is close.

Cashmere Black (2049 words. I will still review and give feedback on other entries if this disqualifies me.)

10/4/2015 . Edited 10/6/2015 #3,366
Solemn Coyote

Question: how hard is the 2k word limit? I'm about 100 words over.

10/5/2015 #3,367
whispers of lowlit flames

I'm sliding in before the deadline, have read the rules and will review the winner.

My entry: Abercombie Street (sorry people who know the street and walk on it twice a day!)

If I win, I'd like reviews on any of my poetry collections, or Shots of Photogenesis.

10/6/2015 #3,368
lookingwest

@Coyote: I'm inclined to push you to trim it down just because the other point of the 2k limit is the fact it's a "challenge" and I know in the past we have not made exceptions. (This happened to me once when the old mod Fractured Illusion was around and she had me cut it down.) Plus, I know you're a strong writer and could handle the challenge of a trim... I don't think cutting 100 would be that hard to do, (having just cut the same amount from a homework assignment I went over wc on, lol). But if it's 50 over in the end, that's okay!

10/6/2015 #3,369
Encore19

@Solemn Coyote: yeah, it's real hard. I had to focus on it all the way through writing and pick paragraphs to delete and not include stuff I dot-pointed in drafts. But just so you know, if your story is over two thousand words at all I don't think I'll vote for it.

10/7/2015 #3,370
Dr. Self Destruct

WCC SUBMISSION REMINDER:

Since we have 6 entries, I WILL NOT be extending the submission deadline. So make sure to have your entries in by tonight at 11:59 PM (EST).

10/7/2015 #3,371
Solemn Coyote

@Encore: no worries. I experimented with a couple of different ways to clip it down, but in the end all of them made it less comprehensible/less enjoyable to read. I'd rather have it posted in a way that I'm happy with than in a way that can win, so consider me fairly warned.

10/7/2015 #3,372
RedactedNoLongerWriting

I'm in and will review the winner.

My Entry: The Wild

10/7/2015 #3,373
Dr. Self Destruct

-

POLL IS UP!

PLEASE REFER TO THE CURRENT OFF TOPIC - GENTLE DOOM! TO CAST YOUR VOTE FOR OCTOBER'S WRITING CHALLENGE CONTEST.

Voting ends at midnight (11:59pm) on OCTOBER 14TH. (EST)

-

Please let me know if there are any spelling errors or anything else wrong in the poll!

10/7/2015 . Edited 10/7/2015 #3,374
Electrumquill

I'm sorry this is so late, but I have reviewed The God Slave, chapter three, from Dr Self Destruct's favourites list. This is in accordance with the rules of the September contest.

https://www.fictionpress.com/s/3070500/3/The-God-Slave-Prev-To-Walk-in-the-Wind

I have not been on this site for a while, but I hope this is in order.

10/8/2015 #3,375
Dr. Self Destruct

Thanks for the update! I was actually going to PM you about it later today, haha. You must've read my mind.

10/8/2015 #3,376
Dr. Self Destruct

WCC Voting Update:

We still have a few days left, but be sure to read those entries and vote ASAP! The deadline will be here before you know it. And then you'll feel all left out and un-hip if you've forgotten to vote.

10/10/2015 #3,377
Dr. Self Destruct

WCC VOTING UPDATE:

Voting period ends tomorrow night at 11:59 PM (EST). Make sure to get those votes in!

10/13/2015 #3,378
Dr. Self Destruct

WCC VOTING UPDATE:

HOLY SHIT, VOTING ENDS TONIGHT AT 11:59 PM (EST) SO MAKE SURE TO GET THOSE VOTES IN!

10/14/2015 #3,379
Dr. Self Destruct

-

Winner:

Nesasio

-

I just wish to remind everyone: you are fully allowed to review other participants. The MINIMUM however is to review the winner (or whoever they wish to donate their winning reviews to) with one depth review.

You have until the 31st to review the winner.

-

Participants that are expected to review the winner:

lookingwest -- DONE

Dr. Self Destruct -- DONE

whispers of lowlit flames

Solemn Coyote -- DONE

Lie Ono -- DONE

Encore19 -- DONE

-

When you have reviewed in accordance to the review requirements, I will check you off the list. PM me what piece you reviewed (and if it has several chapters - what chapter). Don't just say "I reviewed," because I need to check the validity of your review before you're checked off.

--

Review requirements are Depth, and stated in the first post.

--

Total participants: 7

Total active participants: 7

Total amount of voters: 10

--

Score Board:

The Wild by Nesasio -- 5 votes

Louis Denver by Encore19 -- 4 votes

Cashmere Black by Solemn Coyote -- 4 votes

The Assassins of Crow's Cemetery by Lie Ono -- 3 votes

Abercombie Street by whisper of lowlit flames -- 1 vote

Selene by lookingwest -- 1 vote

Chimera by Dr. Self Destruct -- 1 vote

-

THANK YOU, EVERYONE WHO PARTICIPATED AND/OR VOTED!

10/14/2015 . Edited 10/28/2015 #3,380
Dr. Self Destruct

Congrats, Lyra! A well deserved win! c:

Do you have any particular piece you'd prefer reviews on?

10/14/2015 . Edited 10/14/2015 #3,381
Dr. Self Destruct

WCC REVIEW REMINDER

This is just a reminder for anyone who still owes the WCC winner a depth review, due by October 31st.

10/28/2015 #3,382
Solemn Coyote

edit: derp, wrong contest

11/1/2015 . Edited 11/1/2015 #3,383
Dr. Self Destruct

spam

11/1/2015 #3,384
Dr. Self Destruct

spam

11/1/2015 #3,385
Dr. Self Destruct

need

11/1/2015 #3,386
Dr. Self Destruct

to

11/1/2015 #3,387
Dr. Self Destruct

get

11/1/2015 #3,388
Dr. Self Destruct

to

11/1/2015 #3,389
Dr. Self Destruct

the

11/1/2015 #3,390
« Prev Page 1 .. 103 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 123 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Fractured Illusion Dr. Self Destruct, dragonflydreamer, lookingwest, Lime-Cat, simpleplan13, Imalefty
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member