Speak Easy
1920s America...where the gin joints were underground, the liquor was fine, women enjoyed life, and organized crime was born.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 .. Last Next »
Maximilianus

"Not quite so much. Both of us fought for what we felt is right, against all odds, whether we were truly correct or not." Paddy smiled at her.

8/4/2011 #121
Phoebe Powers

"I fight because it is my family and I can't imagine turning my backs on them. I still don't know if I think this is right or not."

8/4/2011 #122
Maximilianus

"Well, single-minded devotion is also a similarity."

8/4/2011 #123
Phoebe Powers

"I guess so." She paused to take another swig. "I'm sorry about Patrick. I don't know why he is so obsessed with keeping all of us girls basically locked up at home. I think he picked it up from his father, and I guess I can deal with what he says because he's family, but he shouldn't have spoken down to you like he did."

8/4/2011 #124
Maximilianus

"Don't worry about it. I've been used to it. For a long time."

8/4/2011 #125
Phoebe Powers

"But it is not something you should just accept. You let them all believe that you are a lunatic and they treat you as if you are nothing more than dirt or a pawn to be used in their deadly game. You deserve better than that because you are so much more than a lunatic."

8/4/2011 #126
Maximilianus

"Perhaps I am. Perhaps I'm not. I don't know."

8/4/2011 #127
Phoebe Powers

"You may not know, but I do. This has been one of the best conversations I have had in quite some time," Caitlin answered, before taking another swig out of the bottle. She noticed that his bottle was empty so she held out her bottle to him.

8/4/2011 #128
Maximilianus

Paddy took a grateful swig. 'Well...thank you. This is one of the best conversations I've had in a long time as well. In fact, it is one of the only ones I've had for a while."

8/4/2011 #129
Phoebe Powers

She chuckled. "Most of my conversations are either with my family, or dealing with the family business. I guess none of them realize that sometimes taking a break from all of that can be a good thing."

8/4/2011 #130
Maximilianus

Paddy chuckled and shakily stood. "Wow, I am truly shitfaced....it's getting late. Shall I pay for our cab ride home?"

8/4/2011 #131
Phoebe Powers

Caitlin took the last swig from her bottle and then stood up, looking a lot steadier than Paddy. "You paid for the whiskey. I think I should pay for the cab."

8/4/2011 #132
Maximilianus

"Now, I wouldn't be a gentlman if I didn't pay for the cab! Next thing you know you won't let me hold doors open for you."

8/4/2011 #133
Phoebe Powers

She sighed. "I guess there is no winning this battle. Fine, you can be the gentleman and pay." As she said it, she couldn't help but think that it would definitely be a point to mention when her uncle decided to speak to her about this. Paddy had been an absolute gentleman the entire evening.

8/4/2011 #134
Maximilianus

Paddy, of course, could not maintain his gentlemanliness quite so well while drunk. He spun around in several unsteady circles. "Now! Where the hell's the goddamn cabbie? YELLOW CAR!!!!"

8/4/2011 #135
Phoebe Powers

"We probably won't find a cab at the end of the dock. It would be best to walk towards the street. If we are lucky it will not take long to get one to stop." Even considering how much she had had to drink, Caitlin still knew enough to keep a decent space between herself and Paddy. That would at least help her stay out of his way as he stumbled around.

8/4/2011 #136
Maximilianus

"Ugh, I am a horrible Irishman. Can't even hold in my liquor." Paddy took a moment to steady himself, and was able to walk in something resembling a straight line. "Now...I'm glad you had a good time, and was wondering if you might, ah, want to do it again sometime..."

8/4/2011 #137
Phoebe Powers

Caitlin chuckled. "Well, this has certainly been a nice evening. If we do this again, and I would like to, we will have to work a little more at hiding from my family. For us to spend too much time together would definitely make my uncle very angry."

8/4/2011 #138
Maximilianus

"Adds an element of suspense, doesn't it? Star-crossed...friends. Forbidden...platonic relationship."

8/4/2011 #139
Phoebe Powers

"That sounds almost like a rather boring twist of The Tragedy of Romeo & Juliet, and it probably would not have the tragic ending either." Caitlin shook her head. "I have no problem sneaking around behind my uncle's back, if you don't. If he finds out then he may be angry, but we are both really good at our jobs and would be rather difficult to replace so that would certainly help us."

8/4/2011 #140
Maximilianus

"Certainly. Who knows, we may get a play of our own someday. After all, not many people have risked life and livelihood for the sake of friendship."

8/4/2011 #141
Phoebe Powers

"Perhaps that will be the story I will write someday." When the reached the street Caitlin looked around, hoping that by some miracle there would be an empty cab driving by, but the street was empty.

8/4/2011 #142
Maximilianus

"Perhaps, but where's the hook? Pride and Prejudice revolves around the will-they-won't-they of Mr. Darcy and....oh, I'm drawing a blank as for the woman. But my point is, where's that element of our story?"

8/4/2011 #143
Phoebe Powers

"The woman is Elizabeth Bennett. And who says there is no will-they-won't-they in our story? It is a secret friendship and there is always a chance that being discovered could mean bad things for the both of us."

8/4/2011 #144
Maximilianus

"Perhaps." A care drove by. "Taxi!" it pulled over, idling by the side of the road.

8/4/2011 #145
Phoebe Powers

When the car stopped, Caitlin felt a little relieved. If the night went on much longer, she was certain she would never hear the end of it, from either her father or her uncle. She walked towards the car, not exactly ready to go home, but knowing it was necessary.

8/4/2011 #146
Maximilianus

Predictably enough, Paddy opened Caitlin's door before getting in himself. The two settled in as Paddy gave the driver directions to the Connelly family home.

8/4/2011 #147
Phoebe Powers

Caitlin turned to look out her window, watching as the buildings of the city passed by.

8/4/2011 #148
Maximilianus

Paddy suddenly grew very nervous. He whistled aimlessly and slapped his knees repeatedly.

The cabbie chuckled at them. "Usually my drunk fares are a little rowdier. You two just do something you'll regret?"

"Shut up and drive."

8/4/2011 #149
Phoebe Powers

"No. We are just a little better at holding our liquor," Caitlin commented.

8/4/2011 #150
« Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Danielle Thamasa Phoebe Powers
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member