Speak Easy
1920s America...where the gin joints were underground, the liquor was fine, women enjoyed life, and organized crime was born.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 .. Last Next »
Maximilianus

"Twenty thousand for any picture that makes it to post-production, plus fifteen percent of the gross for five years after. In exchange you'll sign an exclusive five-picture contract with us."

8/6/2011 #61
J.A. Fletcher
"MGM offered me twenty-five per picture, and a three year contract."
8/6/2011 #62
Maximilianus

"I'll give you thirty and seven, plus the gross."

8/6/2011 #63
J.A. Fletcher
"Seven pictures?"
8/6/2011 #64
Maximilianus

"Seven years."

8/6/2011 #65
J.A. Fletcher
"Seven YEARS?" Gary asked. "Well, gee, I'll have to think about that."
8/6/2011 #66
Maximilianus

Harry shrugged and waved for the waiter, who brought two menus. "Take your time. I, for one, am ravenous."

8/6/2011 #67
J.A. Fletcher
Gary ordered his food. "So what projects you got coming up?"
8/6/2011 #68
Maximilianus

"Well, we have this great adaptation in the works. Ever read a book called All Quiet on the Western Front?"

8/6/2011 #69
J.A. Fletcher
"No. But from what I heard, the western front wasn't quiet."
8/6/2011 #70
Maximilianus

"It's a bit of a play on words. It's an astounding book that'll make an even better picture."

8/6/2011 #71
J.A. Fletcher
"So what's it about? Do I get to play the tough sarge? Maybe the sissy private? Get to hold up the American flag while the krauts charge?"
8/6/2011 #72
Maximilianus

"Actually, it's about the Germans and how they got their asses kicked."

(Oh, shit, it wasn't written until 1929.)

8/6/2011 #73
J.A. Fletcher
(And it was also distributed by Universal.) "By...Americans?"
8/6/2011 #74
Maximilianus

"Well, you'd play a German and show how their army sucks and then get your ass kicked...by Americans..." Harry knew how weak it sounded.

8/6/2011 #75
J.A. Fletcher
"That would stir up a pretty big pot of shit at the box office." Gary replied. "And I'm sure it'll be a complete failure. I don't want my name on something like that."
8/6/2011 #76
Maximilianus

(Famous last words.)

"Well, you know, they aren't all winners. But there's another book called Gone with the Wind. It's really a triumph of the American spirit. You play dashing man Rhett Butler, who strives to provide for his family in post-Civil War Kansas."

(Remember Cooper's legendary refusal of this role? "At least it'll be Clark Gable falling on his face and not Gary Cooper.")

8/6/2011 #77
J.A. Fletcher
(But that's even worse. It wasn't published until 1936 and it was made by MGM) "Is he a union boy?"
8/6/2011 #78
Maximilianus

(Shut up, I'm bullshitting.)

8/6/2011 #79
Maximilianus

(Fine, I'll make up a movie.)

8/6/2011 #80
J.A. Fletcher

(Then bullshit something that isn't so well known.)

8/8/2011 #81
J.A. Fletcher

"Listen, Harry," Cooper said. "You've gotta have something better than that for me. I don't wanna play no Bolsheviks or Commies or Cossacks or anything like that. No Kaisers no Confederates or nothing that's not American."

8/29/2011 #82
Maximilianus

"Total rewrite. Gotcha." Harry took out a pen and inkwell and began scrawling on a napkin. "Okay, so you're this pilot right? Back in the days when they were just used for recon. All of a sudden this enemy plane shows up, and without thinking you whip out your pistol and shoot his ass down. So then you show everyone the worth of fighting planes and become the first ace."

9/14/2011 #83
J.A. Fletcher

"Now you've got something." Gary said excitedly. "I like it. Make me an Amerian hero. Veterans'll go for that."

9/14/2011 #84
Maximilianus

"Great! Plenty of action, little inspiration. Call it something catchy like....like, Aces High. I'll put the writers on that."

9/14/2011 #85
J.A. Fletcher

"You show me a finished script, Harry, and I think we may be in business." Gary said.

9/14/2011 #86
Maximilianus

"We've got top-notch writers at WB," Hary said reassuringly. "I can get you one as early as next week."

9/14/2011 #87
J.A. Fletcher

"Sounds good to me."

9/14/2011 #88
Maximilianus

"So let's celebrate, eh? Let me buy you a steak."

9/14/2011 #89
J.A. Fletcher

"Swell." Gary agreed. "You know, you could teach Louis B. a few things about taking care of people."

9/14/2011 #90
« Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Danielle Thamasa Phoebe Powers
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member