Speak Easy
1920s America...where the gin joints were underground, the liquor was fine, women enjoyed life, and organized crime was born.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »
J.A. Fletcher

You go here to get on a train.

10/12/2010 #1
J.A. Fletcher

Arnold Lancer was having his breakfast in the train station diner. The lilting fragrance of greasy scrambled eggs and toast and sausage, covered by the addicting smell of black coffee, no cream or sugar wafted into his nose and lulled him nearly to the point of sleep.

10/12/2010 #2
Phoebe Powers

((From Avalon Hotel))

Lilah walked into the train station with Jack. Neither of them had said much on the way there. She imagined it was because they were both thinking of Seth.

10/12/2010 #3
J.A. Fletcher

"Come on, Lilah. Let's buy your ticket."

10/12/2010 #4
Phoebe Powers

Lilah looked around and then nodded. "All right."

10/12/2010 #5
J.A. Fletcher

Jack bought a ticket and they went to the train, where the steam engine started spewing smoke. Jack looked at Lilah. "I suppose this is goodbye."

10/12/2010 #6
J.A. Fletcher

Arnold finished his breakfast when he saw that the stack of the passenger train was spewing smoke into the air. He paid for his meal and hurried out there. He climbed onto the train and found a seat.

10/12/2010 #7
Phoebe Powers

"I would like to think of it as see you soon," Lilah replied. "Be safe, Jack. I don't want to lose you too."

10/12/2010 #8
J.A. Fletcher

"You won't, darling." Jack said. He put his hands on her waist and kissed her lips.

10/12/2010 #9
Phoebe Powers

She returned his kiss for a moment and then pulled away. Drawing this out would only make it more painful. "I love you."

10/12/2010 #10
J.A. Fletcher

"My dear, I love you so." Jack looked down at his feet. "I guess you'd better get going."

10/12/2010 #11
Phoebe Powers

"I guess I should," she agreed. She started to walk away from him. When she reached the door of the train she looked back at Jack, her eyes filled with tears. Then she turned and boarded the train, moving quickly to sit down, not even paying attention to who was sitting near her.

10/12/2010 #12
J.A. Fletcher

Jack felt tears welling up in his eyes and he turned away. He was tempted to turn his head, to look back at his beloved, but instead he just walked away.

Arnold looked up when he saw someone sitting next to him. He remembered Lilah from the hotel.

"Say!" He said. "You're Mr. Mayer's wife!"

10/12/2010 #13
Phoebe Powers

Lilah looked up suddenly and saw Arnold Lancer sitting there. She quickly reached up and wiped away the tears threatening to fall. There really was nothing she could do; if she got up and left then it would look bad. She nodded. "I am."

10/12/2010 #14
J.A. Fletcher

"Say, Mrs. Mayer, I've been looking all over Boston for you!"

10/12/2010 #15
Phoebe Powers

Lilah sighed. "And why is that, Mr. Lancer?"

10/12/2010 #16
J.A. Fletcher

"I want to interview you about Jack." Arnold said. "Nobody's ever got an interview with him, so you're second best!"

10/12/2010 #17
Phoebe Powers

"I really do not want to be rude, Mr. Lancer, but I'm afraid that now is not a good time. Perhaps I can see if he would be willing to sit down for an interview in a few months."

10/12/2010 #18
J.A. Fletcher

"In a few months!" Arnold blurted. "Wait a minute. What's wrong? Trouble in the Mayer house?" He took mental notes.

10/12/2010 #19
Phoebe Powers

Lilah looked away from him. This was something she had hoped to avoid. However, she also could not help but think that if it got out into the press, then perhaps it would help them to find Seth.

10/12/2010 #20
J.A. Fletcher

"Come, now, Mrs. Mayer. Won't you tell me? Have I ever done you wrong?"

10/12/2010 #21
Phoebe Powers

She turned back towards him. "Very well, Mr. Lancer. You may or may not know that while Jack and I were on our honeymoon, we adopted a young boy, Seth." Lilah paused. Again her thoughts traveled to Seth and she hoped that he was safe, that no one was hurting him. "Yesterday afternoon someone entered Seth's room and took him while he was sleeping."

10/12/2010 #22
J.A. Fletcher

"Oh gee, that's just swell!" Arnold said, after yanking out his notebook and furiously writing notes. He looked up from the page. "Er-I mean, it isn't swell what happened to you-well, go on."

10/12/2010 #23
Phoebe Powers

"We went to the police station and they told us to fill out some paperwork and then they would call us. When Jack persisted they threatened to throw him in a cell. We just...we want our son to be found."

10/12/2010 #24
J.A. Fletcher

"Boy, this is great stuff!" Arnold said. "Say, Mrs. Mayer. Will you come with me to the office?"

10/12/2010 #25
Phoebe Powers

"This is not great stuff; it is horrible," she replied. "And I'm afraid that I cannot come with you to the office."

10/12/2010 #26
J.A. Fletcher

"Why can't you?"

10/12/2010 #27
Phoebe Powers

"Mr. Lancer, if you had not already noticed, this is a very difficult time for Jack and myself. We both agreed that it would be best if I went home to visit my family." She felt her stomach get a little queasy and she automatically rested a hand on her stomach.

10/12/2010 #28
J.A. Fletcher

"I see you're hungry." Arnold said. "Well there's a nice little diner right outside."

10/12/2010 #29
Phoebe Powers

She shook her head. "I'm not hungry," she responded.

10/12/2010 #30
Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Danielle Thamasa Phoebe Powers
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member