Speak Easy
1920s America...where the gin joints were underground, the liquor was fine, women enjoyed life, and organized crime was born.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
J.A. Fletcher

Walt held the slim telephone receiver to his ear.

"Listen, Fox!" The mayor screamed. "We've had this city shot up like Swiss cheese in the last few months! First that detective agency was shot up, then the hospital, now this goddamn club I'm hearing about! You need to do something about this. Now there's this cop that's been involved with two of these shootings, he's at the hospital right now."

"Yes sir, Clyde Barton." Fox said, the anger rising in him at being scolded like a little boy. "We're sending some men over there right now to bring him in."

"Good." The mayor replied. "This cop's been the target of both of these shootings, and I want you to find out why."

I know, you dumb son of a bitch. Walt thought. "Yes, of course."

"And you catch these fuckers that have been chopping my town to pieces!" The mayor replied. "This isn't goddamn Chicago." The mayor's line went dead.

Walt sat for a few moments with the receiver hanging from his hand, listening to the operator ask him to hang up the telephone. He put it to his ear. "French me." He said, and hung up the telephone.

10/22/2010 #1
Maximilianus

(From Morgan House Speakeasy)

Riley threw open the double doors to the building and, without breaking stride, said to the meek front desk attendant, "I need to talk to the chief."

The secretary frowned. "Do you have an appointment?"

"Nope!" replied Riley, already halfway down the hallway. He came upon an oak door emblazoned with the legend "Walter Fox, Bureau Chief." He knocked twice, hard, then let himself in.

10/23/2010 #2
Danielle Thamasa

((I just want to point out that if you want Riley to show up here, you need to have him leave the speakeasy first. Otherwise, he is in two places at once and that can't really happen.))

10/23/2010 #3
Maximilianus

(Sorry, taken care of.)

10/23/2010 #4
J.A. Fletcher

Walter knew who was knocking before the door opened and Riley MacLean walked in.

"Damn it, Riley." Walter said. "Who the hell told you to barge into my office?"

10/23/2010 #5
Maximilianus

(I'm so sorry! We had a power outage on Saturday and only just got Internet access back!)

Riley leaned over the desk, his nose just inches from Walt's. "And who the hell told you, Walt, to wipe your ass with the U.S. Constitution? I swear upon all that is pure and holy in this forsaken universe, if I find one more of your goddamn flatfoots sticking his ugly mug where it doesn't belong, he's being brought up on charges. On what, you may ask indignantly?" He gave a mirthless little laugh. "Anything that'll get you out of my hair for a while! And I'm the District fucking Attorney! I can make it happen."

10/25/2010 #6
J.A. Fletcher

((No worries, my wireless goes out all the time.))

"Where it doesn't belong?" Walt stood up, his face red, his anger rising. "I'm the goddamn Bureau of Investigation! I can put my dicks any-fucking-where I want to!"

10/26/2010 #7
Maximilianus

"There is such a thing as jurisdiction. You are here only to investigate federal cases in the Boston area, not isolated incidents within the city. So you are NOT going to mess with the Morgan place, or with the Mancinis, or that goddamn cockfight your people busted up last week! The only way you could have fucked that up worse was if you fucked the chicken itself!"

10/26/2010 #8
J.A. Fletcher

"Listen, you fucking ape." Walt replied. "My job is to investigate gangland crime and handle Federal cases. And we have both here. Or perhaps you didn't realize that Tony fucking Moreno and all the other mob bosses have been smuggling hooch across state lines!" He said. "Which is a Federal fucking crime!"

10/26/2010 #9
Maximilianus

Riley chuckled mirthlessly. He continued to do so as he sat down in one of the chairs in front of the desk and put his feet up on it; the ultimate offense for lawyers and other office personnel. "Oh, I know your type. Do you know your Latin? "And they shall make a desert, and they shall call it peace.'"

10/26/2010 #10
J.A. Fletcher

"Get that out of your primer?"

10/26/2010 #11
J.A. Fletcher

Suddenly the telephone rang.

"Hold that thought." Walt said, and picked up the slim receiver. He listened and interjected with "uh huhs" and finally ended it with an "okay". He hung up the phone and looked at Riley. "Tony Moreno's speak's just been shot up."

10/26/2010 #12
Maximilianus

Riley was unimpressed. "And I imagine your boys are already there, pumping even more lead into the place?"

10/27/2010 #13
J.A. Fletcher

"They're about to be." Walt said. "And you don't poke your nose around there, got it?"

10/27/2010 #14
Maximilianus

Riley stretched out and yanwed. "Got it. I'll just stay here, read a good book, perhaps help myself to the bottle of gin which I happen to know you have concealed in your bottom left desk drawer, and wait for you to screw up."

10/27/2010 #15
J.A. Fletcher

"As a matter of fact, you can leave my office." Walt stood up. "And hopefully crawl back under your rock!"

10/27/2010 #16
Maximilianus

"Oh no. No, no, no. I plan to catch the greatest show on earth: you making a complete ass of yourself. I'm headed over to the speak....possibly with some of that popped corn they have at the moving pictures...." Riley exited, smirking, with the last word.

(The thread labeled Tony's is the speak, right?)

10/27/2010 #17
J.A. Fletcher

((Yeah.))

"One day, Riley." Fox said, pumping a fist. "One day I'm gonna slug you right in your goddamned nose."

10/28/2010 #18
Maximilianus

Steve entered the headquarters and calmly approached the secretary. "Excuse me, miss, is the chief available for a brief meeting?"

"I'm afraid not. He just now left for a crime scene downtown.

"Thank you." Fuck me.

Steve left for Tony's, inwardly fuming.

(To Tony's)

10/29/2010 #19
Maximilianus

(From Tony's)

Steve approached the secretary. "Hi there. I'm here to drop off Mr. Fox's fee."

The secretary had plenty of experience with this. "Of course, sir."

Steve handed her a fat white envelope, smiled, and left for Tony's house.

(To Mancini Home)

11/3/2010 #20
J.A. Fletcher

Walter Fox entered the the BOI offices and hurried to his secretary. She was at her post, doing some copying of records. She looked up at Walt when she heard his footsteps. "Oh, hello Mr. Fox!"

"Did a gentlemen come by with a payment?"

"Er, yes sir." She said. She took a white envelope from her desk drawer and handed it to Walt. He looked at it nervously and then placed it under his coat as the secretary watched.

"Thank you, Mrs. Schultz." Walt said. "I'm going to be in my office for a while, and I am not, under any circumstances, to be disturbed."

"Er, yes sir."

Walt nodded and went into his office. He locked the oak door and went over to his desk where he took out his bottle of gin and a glass. He put the envelope on the desk and opened it. A stack of bills slid out onto the desk and he started counting it. Halfway through, he poured himself a glass of gin and drank.

2/9/2011 #21
J.A. Fletcher

Walt entered his office. It was far too early to be at work, but here he was. He drank a bit of scotch and sat down at his desk. What had happened at the city hall had been far too strange. But they had Tony Moreno, and that was all he cared about. Tony Moreno was going away for a long time, and with him, so was the Mancini family. Without its boss, the gang would collapse like it had never been there. One down, far too many more to go.

But there was one big problem with the collapse of the Mancini family. In its wake would rise a new problem - the Tong family. One goes down, another goes up. That's how it went in the business. The good guy never won. He drank his illegal hootch and sighed.

9/9/2011 #22
Forum Moderators: Danielle Thamasa Phoebe Powers
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member