Speak Easy
1920s America...where the gin joints were underground, the liquor was fine, women enjoyed life, and organized crime was born.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »
Phoebe Powers

Alice could not keep the smile from her face. Joe was alive and that fact alone was enough to boost her spirits completely. "Hello, Joe," she said softly.

8/5/2011 #31
J.A. Fletcher

"What do you know?" Joe replied, realizing that it was not a dream. "Oh, my Lord. Is it really you, Alice?"

8/5/2011 #32
Phoebe Powers

She squeezed his hand gently. "Yes, it's me. I should have been here sooner but I...I was led to believe you were dead."

8/5/2011 #33
J.A. Fletcher

"Oh, Alice..." Joe said softly. "I'm so afraid to close my eyes. I don't want you to disappear. I don't want this to be a dream."

8/5/2011 #34
Phoebe Powers

"You can close your eyes, Joe. I am not going anywhere. I will be here for as long as they will let me, and then when they kick me out, I will be back in the morning, waiting until I can see you again."

8/5/2011 #35
J.A. Fletcher

"Oh, Alice..."

8/5/2011 #36
Phoebe Powers

"I feel horrible about what happened, Joe. I should have done more for you then."

8/5/2011 #37
J.A. Fletcher

"As in...what?"

8/5/2011 #38
Phoebe Powers

"I...I don't know. I should have stayed with you but I just left you there. That was wrong of me and I'm sorry."

8/5/2011 #39
J.A. Fletcher

"Alice...I would give my life to know that you're safe."

8/5/2011 #40
Phoebe Powers

She shook her head. "I am never safe, especially these past couple of months," she admitted.

8/5/2011 #41
J.A. Fletcher

"Wha- what do you mean?"

8/5/2011 #42
Phoebe Powers

"Now is not the time to get into any of that. Don't you worry; I can take care of myself. Right now the only thing that I care about is you and helping you get better."

8/5/2011 #43
J.A. Fletcher

"I'm better now that I know you're here." Joe said. "But you can't go back home this late."

8/5/2011 #44
Phoebe Powers

"I am glad to hear that. Joe, I can't stay here. Besides I will be fine on my way home. I can take a cab and everything will be all right. The staff here was already kind enough to allow me to see you but I would not want to impose upon them any more than I already have."

8/5/2011 #45
J.A. Fletcher

"Nonsense. You can stay here. I'll give you the bed. I've slept on worse things than chairs in my life."

Joe was suddenly hit by a flood of memories. Indeed he had. He remembered the mass grave of dead German and French soldiers in which he had spent the night. He could still remember the stench. The entire night spent staring at those lifeless eyes that burned into his soul. The horror that he would be dragged to the bottom of the pit by those hundred of dead men.

8/5/2011 #46
Phoebe Powers

"No, Joe, I cannot let you do that. If you are really concerned about me then I can call you to let you know that I arrived home safely."

8/5/2011 #47
J.A. Fletcher

"I want to know you're close to me." Joe said.

8/5/2011 #48
Phoebe Powers

Alice moved her hand from on top of his hand to rest it over his heart. "I am right here and I have been since the day I met you."

8/5/2011 #49
J.A. Fletcher

Joe struggled to sit up in bed.

8/5/2011 #50
Phoebe Powers

"Just what do you think you are doing?" Alice asked him.

8/5/2011 #51
J.A. Fletcher

"On my honor as a Legionnaire," Joe said, taking her hand, "I ask that you do not involve yourself in my dangerous affairs." He ignored the tearing pain in his stomach. "But as a man who loves the woman whose hand he holds, I ask that you stay the night."

8/5/2011 #52
Phoebe Powers

Alice sighed, knowing that he would not be satisfied unless she stayed. "I will only agree to stay if you stay in the bed. I am a nurse and I am used to sleeping in chairs so I can manage. Also, speaking as a nurse, I cannot allow you to give up your bed, especially in your condition."

8/6/2011 #53
J.A. Fletcher
"Then join me."
8/6/2011 #54
Phoebe Powers

"The bed would barely be able to fit both of us," Alice pointed out.

8/6/2011 #55
J.A. Fletcher
"It's bigger than you think." Joe said. "I won't try anything. Honest."
8/6/2011 #56
Phoebe Powers

"I know you won't try anything. I trust you." She set her bag down in the chair and slipped out of her shoes.

8/6/2011 #57
J.A. Fletcher
Joe moved over to the edge of the bed, comforted in the knowledge that she would be right next to her.
8/6/2011 #58
Phoebe Powers

Alice slid into the bed next to him. "I am so glad that you are alive."

8/6/2011 #59
J.A. Fletcher
"As I am you." Joe said, closing his eyes. "Oh, uh, there's something I ought to tell you."
8/6/2011 #60
« Prev Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Danielle Thamasa Phoebe Powers
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member