Speak Easy
1920s America...where the gin joints were underground, the liquor was fine, women enjoyed life, and organized crime was born.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »
Phoebe Powers

The Connelly Family Home is actually an entire apartment building. Each section of the family has their own floor.

Naturally Henry and Margaret are on the top floor, with Edmund and Annie right below them, and Lee, Phoebe, and Arthur below them. Then Patrick, Charles, and Dillon live together, and Evelyn, Caitlin, and Maureen live together. The bottom floor is a bunch of offices and meeting rooms.

8/3/2011 #1
Danielle Thamasa

Henry Connelly sat at the head of the table in one of the smaller meeting rooms. He needed to speak with his brother and his sons. Edmund and Lee were already there, but he had no idea where Patrick was. Sometimes the boy got so caught up in his work that he lost track of time. The work ethic was admirable, but not when they needed to discuss everything that had happened recently and what they were going to be doing next.

8/4/2011 #2
Maximilianus

Patrick came in, briefcase in hand, his hat tipped at a not-so-jaunty angle. "Sorry I'm late. It seems one of our bookies from our southern book has flown the coop and sold a few betting slips to the cops. Now all the players can claim winners and clean us out. I've got Paddy on it, but it's a mess." He sat down heavily. "So. What's new and exciting?"

8/4/2011 #3
Danielle Thamasa

"If anyone can handle the situation at hand, it is Paddy," Henry answered. "Now, I have brought us here to discuss what actions have been taken so far and how we can move on from here to keep the backlash from doing great harm to us. Naturally, the Holdens will be planning something; I would not expect any less after we killed several of theirs."

8/4/2011 #4
Maximilianus

Patrick leaned back in his chair. "I think our problem is reputation. We're not Mafia, so we're not taken seriously. We're seen only as crazy mick bastards who dip their fingers in a thing or two. If we could expand our political and personal influence somehow, it could dampen the backlash now and help us in the long run too."

8/4/2011 #5
Danielle Thamasa

"So what do you propose we do? How would you expand our influence?" Henry asked. He knew that most of the other families were controlled by one or perhaps two people and their word was law, but he preferred for everyone to sit down and talk through the options. He respected the advice of his family. However, he was the one who made the final decision. It was his family, after all.

8/4/2011 #6
Maximilianus

"Well, violence is out of the question. Even if we totally eradicate a rival family, we'll just be seen as psychopaths. Perhaps we can garner a reputation for the superiority of our businesses, whether by being actually superior or disposing of competition."

8/4/2011 #7
Danielle Thamasa

"Another violent family would not help us at all, I agree. Tony Moreno has already established himself as the violent sort. We could have superior businesses and also dispose of some of the competition as well. Our family is gifted with beautiful young ladies and they have been known to get men to go down the wrong path before."

8/4/2011 #8
Maximilianus

"Speaking of which," Patrick said, "Paddy's eye has been wandering towards Caitlin quite a bit. I don't think he's dumb enough to act on it, but it makes me uncomfortable."

8/4/2011 #9
Danielle Thamasa

Henry sighed. "I would think that Caitlin would not act on anything, but keep an eye on the situation, anyway. If anything happens then we may have to reconsider his position in our business."

8/4/2011 #10
Phoebe Powers

"If anything were to happen, then I imagine that it would put Paddy in a great position to act as her bodyguard. Certainly any sort of attraction to her would make him more willing to protect her, and her family by extension," Edmund answered.

8/4/2011 #11
Maximilianus

"Paddy's like a land mine. Awfully useful some distance away, but something you want somebody else to step on." Patrick sighed. "Something else I've seen lately is labor strife. Lots of workers are pissed off at their wages and working conditions and similar garbage. They're even coming together in unions to try to fight their bosses. I don't know about you, Pop, but I smell opportunity."

8/4/2011 #12
Danielle Thamasa

"Monitor the Paddy situation and let me know if anything happens." Henry gave a stern look to his brother that clearly said that though they were discussing Edmund's daughter, they were both Henry's employees and he would have the final decision on what would happen if anything more than a work relationship were to develop.

"Do you think it will be a profitable opportunity?"

8/4/2011 #13
Maximilianus

Patrick shrugged. "Barring complications, if we control the unions we control the workers, if we control the workers we control the profits, if we control the profits we control the city."

8/4/2011 #14
Danielle Thamasa

"Then it sounds like an opportunity we should not waste. Edmund, I want you to supervise Patrick on this job. Let him make the decisions and such unless you see that it will end badly for the family. Patrick, you are of an age that I would expect you could handle running something this big and important on your own. Do not disappoint me."

8/4/2011 #15
Maximilianus

"I won't, Pop. Thanks." Patrick reached into his pocket and looked at his watch. "Shouldn't Caitlin be back from that shipment by now?"

8/4/2011 #16
Phoebe Powers

"You know Caitlin. Sometimes she stops off for a drink or goes off dancing without telling us," Edmund replied.

8/4/2011 #17
Danielle Thamasa

"I also know that she has gotten herself into trouble a number of times. Perhaps Patrick should go out and look for her. I would send Evelyn but she would be more likely to join her cousin than she would to bring her home."

8/4/2011 #18
Maximilianus

Patrick stood and put his hat back on. "Sure thing, Pop. Is there anything else we need to talk about?"

8/4/2011 #19
Danielle Thamasa

Henry shook his head. "No, we are finished for now."

8/4/2011 #20
Maximilianus

"Alright then." Patrick took his breifcase and set off to find Caitlin.

((To the Docks))

8/4/2011 #21
Phoebe Powers

((From the Docks))

When the cab pulled up in front of the apartment building that was her family's home, Caitlin sighed. She had an idea that either her father, her uncle, or both would be waiting for her when she got inside and she really did not want to deal with any of that now. It would ruin the rather nice evening she had been having. "Thank you for the company and conversation, Paddy. It was really nice."

8/5/2011 #22
Maximilianus

"Well, thank you. I had a very nice time as well. Feel free to call me anytime." Paddy felt an urge to walk her to the door, but felt that wouldn't end well.

8/5/2011 #23
Phoebe Powers

Caitlin nodded and then got out of the cab and headed into her home.

8/5/2011 #24
Maximilianus

Paddy gave the cabbie directions to his apartment. (To Paddy's Apartment)

Patrick sat in wait of the entryway to the family home, sitting in a chair, sipping a glass of scotch and reading a newspaper.

8/5/2011 #25
Phoebe Powers

Caitlin barely held in a groan when she saw Patrick waiting for her in the entryway. There was no way she would be able to reach the stairs before he stopped her.

8/5/2011 #26
Maximilianus

Patrick didn't look up when Caitlin approached, but said, "I hope you had Paddy wear a French letter."

8/5/2011 #27
Phoebe Powers

"We were just talking, Patrick, and the last I knew, there is no law against conversation."

8/5/2011 #28
Maximilianus

"Poor choice of words. Our living is made going against laws. And where there are none, we create them. So yes, as a matter of fact, there is in this family." Patrick never looked up from his paper.

8/5/2011 #29
Phoebe Powers

"Patrick, I am not talking about any of this with you. Though you may be your father's golden child, I am still older than you. As for the so-called laws of this family, be grateful I was only having a conversation with Paddy instead of going out and running into a Holden or anyone else for that matter."

8/5/2011 #30
Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Danielle Thamasa Phoebe Powers
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member