Speak Easy
1920s America...where the gin joints were underground, the liquor was fine, women enjoyed life, and organized crime was born.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »
J.A. Fletcher

Different from The Streets, as this is referring to the circuits traveled by musicians on their way from gig to gig. It can also be used for any long trip by car or train. So buckle-up (oh, wait, seatbelts aren't invented yet) and hang on. It's going to be a bumpy ride.

9/8/2011 #1
J.A. Fletcher

((From Hotel))

Joe looked over at Alice as he drove. "I'm sorry you couldn't get more sleep."

9/18/2011 #2
Phoebe Powers

She shook her head. "I got enough," she answered. "You are the one who needs the sleep."

9/18/2011 #3
J.A. Fletcher

"You might remember that I was in the service." Joe said. "You rarely get sleep during combat."

9/18/2011 #4
Phoebe Powers

"And I am a nurse. Sometimes I am required to be on call for days on end." She looked over at him. "Is it really so wrong for me to worry about my husband? I want you to be as healthy as possible."

9/18/2011 #5
J.A. Fletcher

"It isn't wrong at all." Joe said, shaking his head. "Nobody's ever looked after me like you have. Well, except my mother, bless her. But you're my beautiful doll. If you don't get enough sleep, you get bags under your eyes and start to look like Lon Chaney. You don't want that, do you?"

9/18/2011 #6
Phoebe Powers

"No, I guess not. We will both need to get plenty of sleep on our honeymoon."

9/18/2011 #7
J.A. Fletcher

"I know you'll make me get my sleep on the ship." Joe said.

9/18/2011 #8
Phoebe Powers

Alice smiled. "Of course I will. The trip will be a lot more enjoyable if we are both well rested."

9/18/2011 #9
J.A. Fletcher

"Alice," Joe said, "we know each other somewhat well, but I don't feel as though I really know you. Let's get to know each other a bit more, huh?"

9/18/2011 #10
Phoebe Powers

Alice nodded. "All right. What would you like to know?"

9/18/2011 #11
J.A. Fletcher

"What was your childhood like? Tell me your history."

9/18/2011 #12
Phoebe Powers

Alice sighed. "I guess that is reasonable. Well, you met my parents but I guess one of the most important pieces of information regarding my childhood is that they didn't raise me."

9/18/2011 #13
J.A. Fletcher

"Who raised you?"

9/18/2011 #14
Phoebe Powers

"My mother's sister and her husband. When I was born my mother could not handle it. She fell into a sort of depression that sometimes can happen with first-time mothers. My father spent most of his time working at the butcher's shop so he took me to my aunt and uncle and dropped me off." Alice paused. "Yesterday was the first time I had seen them in over two years."

9/18/2011 #15
J.A. Fletcher

"What was your life like with your aunt and uncle?"

9/18/2011 #16
Phoebe Powers

Alice smiled. "It was lovely. My aunt made sure that I received a well-rounded education and that I had everything I needed. She was the kind of mother everyone wishes to have. My uncle is very protective, but it was rather nice."

9/18/2011 #17
J.A. Fletcher

"They sound lovely."

9/18/2011 #18
Phoebe Powers

Alice nodded. "They are, but my aunt passed away nine years ago."

9/18/2011 #19
J.A. Fletcher

"My condolences."

9/18/2011 #20
Phoebe Powers

"Thank you." She looked over at him. "What about your childhood?"

9/18/2011 #21
J.A. Fletcher

"I hardly knew my father." Joe said. "He divorced my mother and left us down in West Virginia. He went out west and was killed in a saloon, as far as I know. I was raised by my mother, who taught me everything a woman should know. How to cook, clean, things like that. I went to work in the coal mines at age six."

9/18/2011 #22
Phoebe Powers

"Your mother sounds like a wonderful woman. But working in the coal mines...that sounds rather harsh."

9/18/2011 #23
J.A. Fletcher

"I worked in the mines until I was fourteen." Joe said. "It was all to help my mother. When I was fourteen, I joined the United States Navy."

9/18/2011 #24
Phoebe Powers

"That seems a little young to be joining the military."

9/18/2011 #25
J.A. Fletcher

"I was tired of working in the mines." Joe said. "And I was only two years under the legal age to join. I was big for my age, and stronger than most boys. Working in the mines had made me look older than I was, and so I served with the Great White Fleet until my real age was discovered and I recieved a dishonorable discharge and sent back home to my mother. I decided I wanted to be anywhere but in West Virginia, so I went to California, where I signed aboard a ship in San Diego and floated around the South Pacific. I was fifteen at the time, and learned to handle firearms to fend off the ship from Japanese raiders. The Japanese didn't take very kindly to whites, you know."

9/18/2011 #26
Phoebe Powers

Alice nodded, briefly thinking of what she had done when she was fifteen. "I guess I understand why all you basically know is fighting."

9/18/2011 #27
J.A. Fletcher

"Sure." Joe replied. "I ended up in Africa in 1907 or so, where I joined the Bambatha Rebellion. After that conflict, I traveled across Africa, which took a few years. In about 1910, I joined a band of mercenaries and we traveled around to the different conflicts, selling ourselves to the winning side. I came back to the United States in about 1914 or so, and found myself in New York. I was growing restless and getting ready to move out again before I recieved the news of the war in Europe. I got on the next ship and went to France, where I joined the Legion. I fought with the Legion from 1914 to 1918, and after the war came back to Boston where I joined the Boston police force. In '21 I left the police force and opened my own agency with, well...anyhow, nobody thought that I would make a good living as a detective after being on the force for only a few years and not having any college experience, but I was doing fine until I was shot up by Moreno."

9/18/2011 #28
Phoebe Powers

Alice did not even know what to say to that. He had seen and done so much in his life. It was remarkable that he was doing as well as he was. Not all men could do as much and survive. "Oh, Joe."

9/18/2011 #29
J.A. Fletcher

"Something wrong?" Joe peered out through the windshield as they passed another vehicle. He looked quickly toward Alice.

9/18/2011 #30
Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Danielle Thamasa Phoebe Powers
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member