Speak Easy
1920s America...where the gin joints were underground, the liquor was fine, women enjoyed life, and organized crime was born.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 .. Last Next »
Phoebe Powers

"The worst part was watching Joe's life slip away and knowing I couldn't do anything to stop it. He...he was... a decent man." She took in a deep breath and tried to let it out slowly. Then she reached up and wiped away the tears that were threatening to fall. She wasn't going to cry here.

2/17/2010 #121
J.A. Fletcher

"I was almost a goner." Clyde felt intense pain in his stomach. "Hell. Can you believe that? I get shot in the stomach three times and survive." He shook his head. "Somebody sure wants me around."

2/17/2010 #122
Phoebe Powers

"Of course I can believe it," Alice said. "I have seen worse."

2/17/2010 #123
J.A. Fletcher

When Tony awoke, he was being rolled into a hospital room. He looked up at the nurse who was pushing him.

"How-how long was I-I out?"

"A few hours." She said. "We took most of the bullets out of you. But we've still got some more work we're going to have to do, honey."

"Geez-it hurts."

She rolled him into a section that was blocked off from the other beds by curtains. The nurse gave him a bag of ice to help some of the pain in his chest, and left after giving him a few directions. He put the ice on his chest, but felt a pain so bad that he dropped it. The ice flew from his hands and skidded under the curtain, to the other bed. He heard two people talking behind the curtain, and opened it.

"Can you give me my-" He stopped when he saw that it was the girl and cop that he had tried to kill earlier.

2/17/2010 #124
Phoebe Powers

Alice froze when she heard the guy's voice. She would recognize his voice anywhere as it was firmly planted in her mind. Slowly she turned to see him laying on the next bed over. No, this wasn't happening. He wasn't here in the hospital with him. She swallowed and tried to keep calm. Then she bent down and picked up the bag of ice before throwing it at him--not tossing it, throwing it--and she hoped it hurt. Probably not the best thing for a nurse to think but after everything that happened she believed she deserved to think that way.

2/17/2010 #125
J.A. Fletcher

The ice bag hit Tony in his wound, and he shouted at the top of his lungs in pain.

"You fucking bi-" He reached down to his pant leg, and pulled the knife out of his leg sheath. He pushed himself out of the bed. He could hardly stand, and weaved back and forth. He started toward Alice with the knife.

Clyde saw this, and reached for the silver serving tray next to his bed. He lobbed it at Tony, and it hit the mobster in the face. Tony ignored Alice and went after Clyde with the knife. Clyde grabbed Tony's knife arm, and tried to hold it off.

2/17/2010 #126
Phoebe Powers

Alice took a few steps away from the guy, glad she had thrown the ice at him but at the same time scared of what would happen next.

Of course yelling out only brought in a nurse and a doctor and the doctor ran over to pull the guy off of the cop while the nurse readied a sedative.

2/17/2010 #127
J.A. Fletcher

Tony spun around and slashed the knife across the doctor's arm.

Clyde, seizing the opportunity, threw himself from the bed and went for his holster. His pistol was still in there, and he pulled it out. He aimed it at Tony and pulled back the hammer, but when he squeezed the trigger, there was a click. They had emptied his bullets when he'd been brought in. He ignored the pain and tried to climb up after Tony, but his strength gave out and he fell to the floor.

Tony stumbled out of the wing, grabbing his coat as he went. He pushed the doctors and nurses out of his way. He did not meet any security guards, and stumbled out of the hospital, pulling on his coat as he disappeared into the night.

2/17/2010 #128
Phoebe Powers

Annie, the nurse, immediately went over to the cop and helped him back up into his bed. Then she turned her attention to the doctor. While she started cleaning the wound she looked over at Alice. "What is going on?"

Alice took a few breaths. "You just brought the man who killed a detective earlier and almost succeeded in killing both of us in here."

"We...we didn't know."

"Well now you do...and he is probably far from here by now."

2/17/2010 #129
J.A. Fletcher

Clyde winced at the pain. "I can't let him get away..." He pushed away from the nurse, and holding his hand to his stomach, and hurried in the direction that Tony had gone.

2/17/2010 #130
Phoebe Powers

"Sir," Annie called out after the cop. "Sir, come back!" She looked over at Alice and Alice sighed.

"Fine." She turned and ran after him.

2/17/2010 #131
J.A. Fletcher

Clyde hobbled out of the hospital and out into the street, where he heard commotion on the corner. He stumbled that way, feeling his energy draining with every move. His eyes became bleary from the pain, and he collapsed into the doorway of a building.

2/17/2010 #132
Phoebe Powers

Alice left the hospital and looked around, trying to figure out where he went. Hearing a commotion she turned and headed in that direction, only to find the cop collapsed in the doorway of the next building over. She knelt down next to him, ignoring the twinge of pain from her gut. "I need to get you back to the hospital. You don't have the strength to chase after anyone, not right now."

2/17/2010 #133
J.A. Fletcher

"Get my car." He croaked. Bring it around."

2/17/2010 #134
Phoebe Powers

She shook her head. "No, I can't do that. You need to go back to the hospital."

2/17/2010 #135
J.A. Fletcher

"Get it, Alice. Bring my car."

2/17/2010 #136
Phoebe Powers

"I'm sorry. I can't." She sighed. "You can look for him after you're well enough. If you go after him now, you will die. Then you'll be of no use to anyone."

2/17/2010 #137
J.A. Fletcher

"I'm going after him whether you do it or not." Clyde said, starting to pull himself to his feet.

2/17/2010 #138
Phoebe Powers

"Do you want to die then?" she asked as she stood up. "Because that is what will happen if you try to chase after him."

2/17/2010 #139
J.A. Fletcher

"Give me my keys."

2/17/2010 #140
Phoebe Powers

Alice stepped away from him. "No."

2/17/2010 #141
J.A. Fletcher

He started clambering across the street, where he had seen Tony going.

2/17/2010 #142
Phoebe Powers

She chased after him and moved around in front of him. "Please...don't do this."

2/17/2010 #143
J.A. Fletcher

He ignored her and kept moving.

2/17/2010 #144
Phoebe Powers

She stepped around in front of him again. "Do you realize how incredibly stupid this is? Think about this before you do anything else. Earlier in the hospital you said that you would protect me as long as I didn't rat on you. I'm keeping my end of the promise. If you chase after him now, he will kill you and how would you protect me then?"

2/17/2010 #145
J.A. Fletcher

Clyde came to a stop. She was right. "Okay." He said. "But we need to get more bullets out of the patrol car, in case he comes back." He started back toward the hospital.

2/17/2010 #146
Phoebe Powers

Alice sighed. "Fine, that will be acceptable." She followed him back in the direction of the hospital.

2/17/2010 #147
J.A. Fletcher

He arrived at the car and waited for Alice.

"You're right. I was nuts to go after him. Will you forgive me?"

2/17/2010 #148
Phoebe Powers

"There's nothing to forgive," she said as she opened the car door. "There's been enough death already today and I didn't want to see another one."

2/17/2010 #149
J.A. Fletcher

Clyde snatched the keys from Alice, climbed into the car, and locked the door. He put the key in and pressed the starter, pulled the stick into reverse.

2/17/2010 #150
« Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Danielle Thamasa Phoebe Powers
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member