Speak Easy
1920s America...where the gin joints were underground, the liquor was fine, women enjoyed life, and organized crime was born.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 .. Last Next »
Phoebe Powers

Alice stared at him in shock. "You know, I was about ready to believe that you were capable of change." She backed away from the car and turned around to walk back into the hospital. There was nothing more she could say to him. He had to know that this was a stupid move.

2/17/2010 #151
J.A. Fletcher

He gunned the engine and backed out of the parking lot, turned and drove away toward the direction that Tony had taken.

((Shall we awaken Jack and Lilah?))

2/17/2010 #152
Phoebe Powers

((Sure, meet at the Brown Derby?))

Alice continued to walk into the hospital and went straight to the nurse's desk. "Mary, can you call me a taxi?" she asked. "I really need to get home and I am in no condition to walk, especially by myself."

Mary nodded and picked up the phone.

2/17/2010 #153
Phoebe Powers

After she hung up, Mary looked at Alice. "It should be here in a half-hour. Can I do anything for you while you wait?"

"A glass of water would be nice."

Mary nodded. "I'll be right back."

Alice walked over to the waiting room and sat down in one of the chairs. This had been one extremely long day, one she wished she could forget...but she couldn't. It had started out pleasantly enough. She had been looking forward to spending time with Joe. Alice closed her eyes. No, she needed to keep it together, at least until she got home.

A moment later Mary walked over with the glass of water. "Here it is, Alice."

Alice opened her eyes and looked up. "Thank you, Mary." She took the glass of water and turned to look out the window, sipping the water as she stared outside. Everything looked so peaceful outside yet now she fully understood that looks weren't always as they appeared. It was something she didn't want to think about and yet she couldn't avoid any longer.

It took everything in her to try and think of other things. If she allowed herself to be overwhelmed by the events of the day then it was likely that she would lose her job at the hospital. And that was something she absolutely could not live without.

By the time she finished sipping the glass of water, the taxi had arrived. She returned the glass to Mary and walked out to the taxi. "247 Park Street, please."

((To Harris Apartment))

2/17/2010 #154
Phoebe Powers

Alice went to wash her hands after checking in on her last patient for the day. She was glad to be back on an almost regular schedule.

"You leaving Alice?"

Alice looked over at Mary and nodded. "Yes, I need to get home and change. I think that I have plans with Clyde."

"It seems to me that you have been spending a lot of time together, especially lately."

"We did bond over that whole mobster situation. He really is a nice guy." Alice walked into the nurse's room and grabbed her jacket.

"Have a nice night, Alice."

"I'll see you in a couple days, Mary." Then Alice turned and headed for the door.

9/11/2010 #155
J.A. Fletcher

Clyde drove up to the front of the hospital and quietly waited, tapping his fingers on the wheel.

((Tap tap tap tap, tap tap tap tap, tap tap tap tap))

9/11/2010 . Edited 9/11/2010 #156
Phoebe Powers

Walking outside, Alice saw Clyde parked a few feet away. She smiled and headed over towards his car, pulling open the passenger door when she reached it. "Good afternoon, Clyde."

9/11/2010 #157
J.A. Fletcher

"Good afternoon, Alice." Clyde replied. "And how was work?"

9/11/2010 #158
Phoebe Powers

She smiled. "It was nice. There were no big emergencies, just the usual day to day accidents and such. I'm just glad they are starting to give me my old hours again. How was your day?"

9/11/2010 #159
J.A. Fletcher

"Oh, you know how the night shift can go, so many calls, domestic troubles at two in the morning and-"

Suddenly Clyde heard the crunching of glass and the rending of metal, the smack, clang, and crunch of bullets as they smashed into the hood and the grille of the car. Sparks flew from the places where the little metal projectiles collided with the car, until the sparks blocked all else from Clyde's view out of the windshield. Clyde's entire world was on fire and in a pinball machine. He jerked his body in front of Alice.

9/11/2010 #160
Phoebe Powers

((Damn, do these two not get more than a few minutes of peace?))

Alice was looking at Clyde and she froze when she heard the first gunshots. There had been a few weeks of peace; she had almost thought that things had settled down. Apparently that was nowhere near to the truth.

9/11/2010 #161
J.A. Fletcher

((Not if you want a good story, sister))

The bullets stopped flying and everything went quiet except the soft sizzling that eminated from under the hood. Clyde was not hit. He looked at Alice.

"You hit, Alice?"

9/11/2010 #162
Phoebe Powers

Alice took a few slow deep breaths. "No...I...I don't think so."

9/11/2010 #163
J.A. Fletcher

"Stay here. Get down on the floor."

Clyde unholstered his service pistol and peered through the cracked glass at their assailants. He could hardly make anything out.

9/11/2010 #164
Phoebe Powers

Alice moved down to the floor. "Clyde, please be careful."

9/11/2010 #165
J.A. Fletcher

"Don't worry, kiddo. I'll be fine."

Clyde climbed out of the car and looked up the street at a man with a Tommy gun. His delay had allowed for the man to reload, and another round of bullets flew out of the muzzle of the submachine gun. Clyde was hit, and crumpled onto the ground.

9/11/2010 #166
Phoebe Powers

((You know, I just think you like shooting your characters.))

"Clyde!" she cried as he fell to the ground. She looked around, trying to see if there was anything she could use to try and protect herself. Clyde's gun was too far away for her to grab.

9/11/2010 #167
J.A. Fletcher

((That may be it))

"Augh!" Clyde exclaimed as he reached for his gun. He held it out, his strength growing weaker and weaker. He fired twice at the assailant. He looked over and saw Alice out of the car.

"Get...back in the...car, Alice!"

9/12/2010 #168
Phoebe Powers

"No," she replied. "I'm not going to sit around and watch you die just like Joe." She tried to keep herself hidden behind the open door. "Give me your gun."

9/12/2010 #169
J.A. Fletcher

"A goddamn door's...no protection...get in the car." He climbed jerkily to his feet.

9/12/2010 #170
Phoebe Powers

She would have tried to argue with him but she knew it wasn't the time for it so she climbed back into the car. "So what are we going to do, just hide in the car and wait for them to kill us?"

9/12/2010 #171
J.A. Fletcher

"You are." He said as he stumbled forward toward the alleyway where the attacker had gone.

9/12/2010 #172
Phoebe Powers

She watched as he left. "Clyde, no!" Alice took a few deep breaths and looked around. She didn't like the idea that she was just going to wait around while he went chasing after guys with bigger guns.

9/12/2010 #173
J.A. Fletcher

Clyde stumbled into the alleyway. It was empty. Suddenly a hand wrapped around his mouth and pulled him into a doorway. The door shut behind them, he was knocked over the head, and everything went dark.

9/12/2010 #174
Phoebe Powers

Alice tried to steady her breathing so she could listen for anything going on down the alley. She hear nothing, no gunshots, no yelling, nothing. Her heart was pounding. She wanted to know what was going on. More than that she wanted to know if Clyde was all right.

9/12/2010 #175
Phoebe Powers

Alice decided then that there was only one thing to do: she had to go look for Clyde. She looked around the car, hoping that Clyde had another gun somewhere. It would certainly be helpful. She started reaching under the seat and looking in the glove box. Finding a gun in the glove box she let out a sigh of relief. She grabbed it and got out of the car before heading towards the alleyway. When she reached the corner she peeked her head around to see what was going on.

9/12/2010 #176
J.A. Fletcher

The alley was empty.

9/12/2010 #177
Phoebe Powers

Alice moved into the alley. There were only a few places to go. The alley was a dead end and there were only a few doors. She knew the ones closest to the hospital were locked. The other side of the alley bordered an empty building. She moved to one of the doors and slowly pulled it open, trying to stay out of sight in case the attacker was there with his gun ready.

9/12/2010 #178
Phoebe Powers

When nothing happened Alice slowly moved around to peek through the doorway. Seeing no one she moved into the building, keeping the gun held up just in case.

9/14/2010 #179
Phoebe Powers

Inside the building Alice looked around and tried to listen for any noises that could lead her to Clyde. She knew better than to call out for him.

9/21/2010 #180
« Prev Page 1 .. 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Danielle Thamasa Phoebe Powers
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member