Help formatting, please?
Is it possible to indent lines or to have excess spacing in poems on this website? If so, how is it done? Please respond if you know. Thank you.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
H.M. Grey
Is it possible to indent lines or to have excess spacing in poems on this website? If so, how is it done? Please respond if you know. Thank you.
2/5/2008 #1
Midnight In Eden
I don't believe we can indent lines and I've been trying to do it for the past three years. If you know HTML there might be a way to do it in quick edit but otherwise, unfortunately we're out of luck.

If you're looking to create stanzas though (which would probably also work for excess spacing) try going to quick edit/preview after you upload the story then backspace all the little breaks that FP makes then enter in carefully your own breaks. That should work, if it doesn't keep playing around in quick edit until it does.

2/6/2008 #2
ibmc2146
I'm stuck using a period and spaces and saying "Don't mind the periods." in my summary.

I emailed support today asking about it, for the heck of it. Don't know if they'll be of any help but whatever.

2/18/2008 #3
Cloverless
If you're trying to get the spacing to look like:

Bob

Dole

was

a presidental

electee who

was never

ever really

going anywhere.

Instead of looking like:

Bob

Dole

was

a presidental

electee who

was never

ever really

going anywhere

Then, in the Edit mode, after you've already uploaded a document, you have to backspace to negate the paragraping done by FictionPress, and then just press Shift and Enter. That will space a single line, instead of doubelspacing. You just have to go through your poem, and keep doing that.

When it comes to Indentation, I'm less confident, but a quick google for Indenting in HTML code might net you some results. But, then again, this is FictionPress; the place where HTML code comes to die.

2/28/2008 #4
chemarim

I've been trying for the last half hour. I tried the pre tag, which works... until you try to finally save it. Nothing works, even if you put it in HTML. If anyone can prove me wrong... it would be super helpful about now.

I also tried to use excessive underscores and periods, but nothing worked. The periods almost worked, but they reduced them from the five I needed to three. Very annoying.

10/7/2008 #5
whacked

It is VERY ANNOYING. I'm feeling so frustrated, I think short of using the line separator to create some sort of structure in my poems I have done everything from editing in html to backspacing and then clicking shift+ enter throughout the whole poem. Nothing works! it looks fine when i save it but once I upload and look at the live review, there is no structure/space to my poem, I have no stanzas! I have been at this for the last hour. Has support replied/has anyone figured this out? I like the old fp, it was easier to edit back then. Now this is all new and confusing and won't do what I want it to!

6/3/2009 #6
Forum Moderators: H.M. Grey
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member