Good, Clean Fun
We all love some good, clean fun from time to time, I want to hear YOUR take on humor and how to keep it both clean and funny! Join whenever!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 .. Last Next »
Poll
What is the longest word in the dictionary whose meaning you know?
1 what?
2 antidisestablishmentarianism
3 shiny!
4 dictionary
View Poll Result. Please vote for one of the choices.
Trisana Tennant

aww. (is sad) at least your brother is a trekkie like me. I know, it is off-topic. But in a ways on topic.

"but I have to refuse to watch the episode just be I'm allergic to girlie guys wearing heels and corsets." Where did that come from? Nothing like that happened in the show thus far.

Yay! I'm the eldest site wise!

4/25/2008 . Edited 4/25/2008 #61
Trisana Tennant

or not...

4/25/2008 #62
Double AA

I get what you're saying, and it is similar to what I'm thinking. But it can also apply to a silly character who thinks he serious, and he does serious things, just he does it sillily(Yes it's a word!). Let me try to give an example:

"Quick nurse! Get the drill, the patient has CAVITIES!!!"

Did that help?

P.S. I have to admit it, I'm a Trecky too! I come from a family of Treckies('sept my dad). But I'm not one of those extreme Treckies that have all the episodes memorized, I just like watching it.

4/25/2008 #63
Trisana Tennant

Another Trekkie example is the expressions on Spock's face whenever he hears or sees stuff he really doesn't care to hear or see. like in one episode when he walked in on Captain Kirk kissing somebody.

Yay! maybe somebody should start a forum for Trekkies!

4/26/2008 #64
The.Wizard.Pen.Dragon

NOOOOO!!!!! I HATE Star Trek! (Besides it's hard to write those those things and that's why we're here.) So I guess this can be put as a character put into an awkward position, but once again, how would you write that?

So PLEASE, let that be the last Star Trek reference! I would much rather talk about dancing potatoes!

4/26/2008 . Edited 4/26/2008 #65
Trisana Tennant

Of course, some songs are always quite funny. My dad loves to listen to folk. Usually they're making fun of key figures, such as Senator McCarthy. One of my favorites is one about Elizabeth Borden.

4/26/2008 #66
Trisana Tennant

We need to start a forum for people who are addicting to killing off their characters. Such as me. I know this is off topic. But I need to get over it. and I need help doing that.

4/28/2008 #67
asylum writer

I killed off everyone on Earth one time except like... 8 people. Then they weren't actually dead. It was bad, I wrote it quickly because it was due the next day.... I tend to write short stories where I kill someone, but I'm not addicted to it in longer stories. I usually kill a few people, though. Wow, that was really off topic... Sandra! ;)

4/28/2008 #68
The.Wizard.Pen.Dragon

Idk, my bff, Beluga1, is trying to get me to write a book where all the character die at the end and then write a sequel. ... I guess that's a kind of humor? It would be SO anoying to read, but it's a kinda funny idea, why?

Write on!

Pen.Dragon

PS: You're not the only one you likes killing off characters, when I write romances the couple is like the only people who don't die (and that's only because I do actually like happy endings)!

4/28/2008 #69
R.E.D. the animator

What kind of romance involves almost everyone dieing off?! A horror romance?

Oh and the whole idea about a sequal after everyone dies. I think the joke would get lost in the length of the story and it might even be missed altogether.

4/28/2008 #70
Trisana Tennant

The thing is it is my main characters that die, if You have ever read my soundtracks of a life, you'll see what I mean.

4/30/2008 #71
The.Wizard.Pen.Dragon

Actually it wouldn't really be a "horror romance", but more of a drama romance for anyone who has read Romeo and Juliet.

But I do feel that this conversation has kinda ... digressed so why not get back to the main topic! So so farwe have puns, punch lines, stupid humor, witty humor, observation on reality, irony, sarcasm, predictability, breaking predictions, and cliches/parodies, satire, dry humor, humor that people can relate to (or realistic humor), over complication, RANDOMNESS, "serious" humor (I still need an explanation for that), serious characters stuck in silly situation, silly character stuck in serious situations, awkward situations, situations that include typing the word "situation" a million times, and finally ... killing people? Yep, we're random, but if I missed something or if someone else has another idea, PLEASE REPLY!!!!!!!

Write on!

Pen.Dragon

PS: Captain Kirk is a girlie guy who wore heels and a corset and I've always doubted that his hair was real, but that isn't proven (the heels and corset are, just not in the first season). ... LONG LIVE DOCTOR WHO!!!!!!!!!!! He's WAY better!

4/30/2008 #72
Trisana Tennant

yes, that's sounds about right.

P.S. I love Doctor Who also.

4/30/2008 #73
Double AA

Yeah I think you got everything. Though what I meant by serious humor is just my own over complicated way of saying what you already got: serious characters in silly situations. I think there actually is serious humor though, in those rich people magazines, but I never read those, I'm just thinking of something I saw on TV. Ooh I just remembered something! Have we mentioned slap-stick? What is slap-stick anyways?

P.S. DOCTOR WHO ROX!

4/30/2008 #74
The.Wizard.Pen.Dragon

Off the top of my head, I have no real clue what slapstick is. so I'll look it up on Wikipedia!!

Slapstick is a type of comedy involving exaggerated physical violence or activities (e.g., a character being hit in the face with a frying pan or running full speed into a wall).

So basically it's physical humor, which I should have thought of before, THANX DOUBLE AA!!

Anybody else have more ideas, or an example of slapstick that might help others better understand it? If so REPLY!!!!!!!

4/30/2008 #75
A Kind of Nostalgia

So that's what slapstick is! I suppose that The Three Stooges (Or however you spell it) is slapstick. I was obsessed with that show for a good month or two. The episodes where they make the soufle' (or however you spell it) and where they try to deliver ice are my favorites. Away from the subject of ther Three Stooges, slapstick is, for me, possibly thee simplest kind of humor. It can be hilarious, but it has to be in the right context. For example, hitting someone in the head repeatedly would be considered slapstick, I suppose, but it wouldn't be something that I would enjoy reading or watching. If, however, there was a unexpected reason for the head-hitting, it would be funnier, and I just might enjoy reading or watching it. Hmm. That didn't make sense even to me. What I'm trying to say is that you need a reason behind random actions. Yeah. That about sums it up.

4/30/2008 #76
The.Wizard.Pen.Dragon

A reason for randomness? ... That defeats the word "random", but I get what you mean. One example that is too often used is when a fly is buzzing around and a person istrying to hit it and then it lands on their forehead and they hit themselves and knock themselves out but the fly moves at the last second and is safe, thus using both slapstick humor and irony. So yeah, put a reason behind it, cause hitting people over the head for no reason at all is only hilariously funny the first few times!!

Write on!

Pen.Dragon

4/30/2008 #77
Trisana Tennant

Here's another one that I do all the time. Someone's just sitting there or standing, they're talking about something, like their English class, then suddenly they go... "What am I talking about? I forgot what I was going to say."To me that's funny. Of course it's laughing at yourself, but that's the best kind of humor.

5/1/2008 #78
The.Wizard.Pen.Dragon

So forgetfulness? That makes sense, I guess, that sort of goes along with the person who randomly bursts into song or bangs their head into a wall for no reason, it's just plain, random and a change from what the reader is expecting. I feel that, as humor writers, it is our goal to bring new plots to our readers and if that is beyond us in some case, to bring them new ideas in the same predictable plot. And therefore, our largest adversary ispredictability so something like this, when put in the middle of a ramble or whatever that the reader is totally expecting to go on forever, could perhaps help to fight said largest adversary! ... idk, I'm probably just being melodramatic, but I can defiantlyhear cannon fire coming from upstairs and for some reason that's making me feel like a motivational speaker, so once again, idk. So if someone has a better way to resolve this ramble, FEEL FREE TO and REPLY! I love reply, I dream about them all night long!

Write on!

Pen.Dragon

5/2/2008 #79
Trisana Tennant

Of course side comments are great.

Actually, I played a police officer in a comedy for the school play earlier this year. So I can act in a comedy/humor, I just can't write them.

5/2/2008 #80
A Kind of Nostalgia

Here's another semitopic thingy:

Can everyone be funny?

Is it something you're are born with?

Can you learn how to be funny?

Just throwing it out there. I don't think someone can be born with humor, but I suppose they can be born with the ability to make funny faces, which helps in the humor department.

I'd add more but I have to go... think about it :D

5/2/2008 #81
Double AA

I don't know, some people are naturally funny, and then there are those who have to work at it. I think it also depends on the type of humor. Some people know a lot about one subject, but hardly anything about another. Something else, that is kinda weird, is that I think I'm funnier when I'm with my brother, we're like a double act. Although he manages to remain as funny as ever without my input, so I guess I'm trying to say, I don't know what I'm trying to say. Someone please help me unconfuse myself. If I haven't already confused you. THIS FORUM IS TOO PHILOSOPHICAL FOR ME!!!!

5/2/2008 . Edited 5/2/2008 #82
Trisana Tennant

I'm funny when I slip up and say sometime I don't mean to say, such as reversing words or letters

5/3/2008 #83
A Kind of Nostalgia

I know what you mean. Some people, (myself included) can be funny around people they know, but are shy around people they don't.

5/3/2008 #84
Trisana Tennant

oh yeah, two years as of today. off topic but oh well

5/4/2008 #85
Double AA

Congratulations!

5/4/2008 #86
The.Wizard.Pen.Dragon

Something else just came to my mind as being funny. ... But I don't really know how to explain it. ... I guess it'd be like, ... writing a character to be like another very famous character and then after developing your character a while and not letting the audience in on it, you tell them about it. Okay, that was a REALLY bad explanation!! So here's an example,

John Sheppard of Stargate: Atlantis (I'm a huge fan of the show!) is alwaysfalling in love with some alien girl only to have her turn out to be, like, to cool for him or whatever and then he never sees her again (it's happened like a million times!). So finally on one of the episodes he introduced himself to a girl and one of the other character's (McKay) said something like, "Shut up, Kirk." therefore relating him to Captain Kirk who all y'all Trekkies out there know and love to share some similar characteristics with John. Does that make any sense? I hope it does, cause when McKay said that I totally lost it!

Write on!

Pen.Dragon

5/15/2008 #87
R.E.D. the animator

Yeah, except captain Kirk actually got the girls.

5/15/2008 #88
The.Wizard.Pen.Dragon

Girls? Most of them were robots or highly destructive aliens who wear practically nothing. At least the girls that John Sheppard flirted with were actually women.

But we aren't here to slam TV show or their character we are here to become better writers, so does anybody have any ideas?

Write on!

Pen.Dragon

5/15/2008 #89
The.Wizard.Pen.Dragon

I just thought of something else that's funny. What about like when a wimpy looking character, like some little old lady, beats some huge guy up. Or when a really wimpy little kid ends up being the dork who does something really scaring, but then again that might do better in a television show or movie.

But I refuse to believe that there are no more ideas left! So even if you can't understand and just need something explained to you, REPLY ... please.

Write on!

Pen.Dragon

5/18/2008 #90
« Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: The.Wizard.Pen.Dragon
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member