Young Adult Fiction Writers' Forum
A forum for people who like to write young adult fiction to discuss techinques, ideas, methods, etc.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Yuuenchi

So, I've published my first story here on FP -a brief first-love story set in a Japanese city involving HS kids- only I placed it in Manga and not YA. This is important because I'm not sure if it was the best choice. Now, i have a number of other stories in the works, of a similar vein, that I have lumped together under a "Teen Heart Manga Stories" label, if you will -and subdividing it further into "Dear My Shoujo" and "Shone Write!" imprints. that I think could be placed equally well in the YA category, except that they use Japan as a location base, and most THMSs utilize anime tropes and themes. Additionally, to my understanding, a lot of actual manga and anime stories are based on Light Novels which would pass for YA here in the US. So, that leaves me with the puzzle about the relationship of Manga to Young Adult, at least in terms of story. How do I know if a story originally labeled for Manga properly belongs to Young Adult? So, my topic for the membership is, what criteria separates "Manga" from "Young Adult" , are there real objective features of a story that you could point to, or is it a matter of preference? (I'm not thinking in terms of creating better exposure for a story, but in accurately placing it..regardless of exposure..probably the librarian in me)

Talk amongst yourselves....

7/24/2011 #1
Forum Moderators: WigsOut
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member