The Anmyutsu Mythos
The official forum for information and discussion on the Anmyutsu Mythos.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 Next »
Rabukurafuto

The thread for questions and discussion about Annie's Adventures in Nightmareland.

9/7/2009 #1
Palm Tree

I so want to be the first to post/reply on/to this but unfortunately I fail at discussions and coming up with questions. n.n' Still! I'll give it my best. -clears throat-

So will Annie's Adventures in Nightmareland end up being something of a darker and horribly twisted parallel to Alice's Adventures in Wonderland?

By any chance, are there quite a few psychological themes to this work?

9/14/2009 #2
Rabukurafuto

Ah, questions! I will be happy to look at them.

Nightmareland will not be a direct parallel to Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, even if that story was one of the initial inspirations. There will be some things that Meiling/Annie will see that remind her a bit of her favorite stories, but mostly Annie's Adventures in Nightmareland was the best title I could come up with at the time and it stuck. However, Jejire Grynn's name is a corruption of "Cheshire grin" and he is a cat-boy so there is a connection there.

Psychological themes will be present, mostly in the form of fears literally coming to life, both ones belonging to Meiling and her friends as well as ones generally felt by people througout history.

9/14/2009 #3
Palm Tree

First off, thank you for taking the time to respond! n.n

Interesting answer and it was actually Jejire (I love him) that prompted the question since that connection of his to the chesire cat was quite prominent. As for the psychological aspects, I can't believe it's possible but now I'm even more excited about this story. XD

-thinks-

So I'm guessing that the key Lucy has opens that door in her house and that that door is actually a portal into The World of Darkness? o.o

9/14/2009 #4
Rabukurafuto

Interesting answer and it was actually Jejire (I love him) that prompted the question since that connection of his to the chesire cat was quite prominent. As for the psychological aspects, I can't believe it's possible but now I'm even more excited about this story. XD

That is good to hear. I hope I can make the story live up to your expectations!

So I'm guessing that the key Lucy has opens that door in her house and that that door is actually a portal into The World of Darkness? o.o

Good guess, but while this story is connected to the World of Darkness, the World of Darkness itself will not appear. There may be a little mention of it though.

9/14/2009 #5
Palm Tree

I haven't any doubt that you will. 8) And, hmn... Does that mean a certain character is going to appear and give these poor kids hell?

I realize that I'm kind of fishing for spoilers so feel free to silence me. XD;

9/14/2009 #6
Rabukurafuto

I haven't any doubt that you will. 8) And, hmn... Does that mean a certain character is going to appear and give these poor kids hell?

I realize that I'm kind of fishing for spoilers so feel free to silence me. XD;

It is all right; I will say that, of the characters I have previously written about, only one will have any importance, and that character will be known by a different name (several different names, depending on the future of the story). Some other characters may be mentioned or seen in pictures. Which character were you thinking of?

9/14/2009 #7
Palm Tree

There isn't a particular character I'm thinking of, actually, so I apologize for giving such an implication. ^^; Still, your answer was yet another interesting one and I can't wait to see it all develop. Speaking of developments... Is there significant romance in this story?

9/14/2009 #8
Rabukurafuto

There isn't a particular character I'm thinking of, actually, so I apologize for giving such an implication. ^^; Still, your answer was yet another interesting one and I can't wait to see it all develop. Speaking of developments... Is there significant romance in this story?

There will be romance, and it is...a bit of a mess. Most conventionally, Meiling and Cassie are a couple. They like each other, simple as that. The others are more complicated. Fengma/Vincent has a crush on Lucy, but he also has something for Julian yet he does not understand the concept of homosexuality so he is really confused on just what it is he feels for the older boy. Beatrice and Alex may have crushes on Lucy, which she is entirely oblivious to. Julian has his eyes on a boy named Danny (who is not going to play an important part in the story) but he starts falling for Jejire. Jejire...well, he is into pretty much anyone, including Lucy and Fengma, which alarms everyone. Lucy is pretty much the sole straight character, but she crushes on Julian, who is not interested in love from a girl. Poor Lucy...

9/14/2009 #9
Palm Tree

Oh my, do you know how utterly delicious that sounds? I'm glad that I asked because, once again, another scrumptious layer has been added to this cake. XD Indeed, I feel for poor Lucy (have made that mistake more than once, unfortunately) but she's young and cute so I'm sure she'll move on at some point. 8]

9/15/2009 #10
Rabukurafuto

Oh my, do you know how utterly delicious that sounds? I'm glad that I asked because, once again, another scrumptious layer has been added to this cake.

Oh yes, it is one of my reasons for writing stories like this. I love having many gay and bisexual romances. The lack of straight romances in my stories becomes comical after a while, I think.

9/15/2009 #11
Palm Tree

XD Ditto. It's most entertaining but sometimes I personally can't help but fear the possibility someone will make a comment.

9/15/2009 #12
Rabukurafuto

I know what you mean about comments. Luckily I have not yet gotten an outraged or insulting comment. I imagine I will at some point though.

9/15/2009 #13
Palm Tree

I can't even begin to believe that you will since the story's so well written and the characters are incredible. Then again, I suppose I'm a reader, a fan, and thus a tad biased. 89

9/15/2009 #14
Rabukurafuto

It also helps that you are one of the few people who does read my work. I need to go out and find other stories to read here; it is harder on FictionPress to attract readers than on FanFiction because here it is simply harder to find things you like. You never know what to expect, although a starting chapter with more than a thousand words is a good sign, as Melissa Norvell once pointed out.

9/15/2009 #15
Palm Tree

Personally, I think it's absurd and it's actually bothered me for a while. You're such a talented writer; your stories are memorable and your characters some of the best I've seen in /long/ time. You definitely deserve /far/ more attention than you're currently getting. I'm quite disappointed that many of the more talented writers are overlooked on this site but it's understandable for a variety of reasons. Sorry to ramble. XD Anyway, it's true that it's difficult to find things that are up your alley here, a big reason why I'm so glad to have given your stories a look. I will say that I've encountered some stories with short first chapters that turned out pretty good but I can definitely see where many of that sort may flop.

9/15/2009 #16
Rabukurafuto

My fan fiction, mostly the fringe, fetish-based ones, get some attention. Surprisingly, no matter how depraved those get I still have never gotten any real negative feed back for some reason. There is not much overlap between the people who read my fan fiction and the people who read my original fiction though. I feel like I am living two different lives in a way.

9/15/2009 #17
Palm Tree

You haven't gotten any negative feedback because you're so skilled! XD -cough- Have you linked from FanFiction to your FictionPress account? You know, tried bridging that gap?

9/15/2009 #18
Rabukurafuto

I do link from one site to the other on both home pages. I also post stories on deviantART, which tend to be my strangest, most fetish-based fan fictions, but I am trying to bridge a gap by simultaniously posting Annie's Adventures in Nightmareland there too.

9/15/2009 #19
Palm Tree

Oh! You have an account on dA? By any chance, is that on your profile as well? 8] But, focusing, that's good. Perhaps all you need is some more advertisement from one site to another.

9/15/2009 #20
Rabukurafuto

No, I don't link to deviantART from either FanFiction or FictionPress yet. I suppose I should, but I mostly use my deviantART account to hold my most, well, deviant works. If you want to take a look, it can be found at (http://rabukurafuto.deviantart.com/).

9/15/2009 #21
Palm Tree

LAWL! XD And thanks, I'd be happy to. ^^-

9/15/2009 #22
Rabukurafuto

All right then. While you are looking at that, I think I will talk about the inspirations for Annie's Adventures in Nightmareland.

The idea for what would become Annie's Adventures in Nightmareland started in January 2009. I had just read Neil Gaiman's novela Coraline and loved it. Coraline is about a young girl named Coraline who finds a strange key in her new house and uses it to go through a door and finds a wonderous but horrifying "Other World" on the other side. After reading, I entertained myself wondering what if Coraline had a babysitter who followed her into the Other World. Would the babysitter see the true evil of the Other World and have to brave all kinds of dangerous to help Coraline? The more I thought about the scenario the more I liked it.

Sometime later, I heard of a role-playing game called Little Fears: The Game of Childhood Terror. It was an intensely disturbing game built around the evil "Closetland" and the monsters that wanted to destroy the innocence of children. It reminded me of the Other World I imagined the babysitter running through to save a child. After that, I really began to consider turning my idea into an original story. I also wanted to move away from the World of Darkness to explore a different part of the An'uuto Mythos, the then-undescribed "dream world" that was said to have something to do with the World of Darkness' greatest threat. So I decided to go with that "dream world" as the setting. I also drew inspiration from Konami's Silent Hill series and its nightmarish imagery. Another piece of inspiration was Edward Lee's three Infernal novels, City Infernal, Infernal Angel, and House Infernal, about Hell invisioned as an endless city (a warning about the Infernal trilogy: all three books are extremely graphic in outrageous violence and sex).

Around that time, I started toying with the idea of the babysitter having friends to help her, and then I thought the lost child should have friends too. So I designed Wang Meiling/Annie Wang and Lucy Misono, the followed up with the other characters. Originally Jejire was not in the story, but when I saw a picture by my friend Bethi-HimeKunoichi made called Cheshire Grin (http://bethi-himekunoichi.deviantart.com/art/Cheshire-Grin-101096245) I was inspired to include a cat-boy character.

The choice of the title was only because I had no better titles. I decided to justify it by having Annie love Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. Beyond that and having Jejire as a kind of Cheshire Cat there are very few parallels between the stories.

One of the last steps was that I decided I wanted a detailed town for the characters to live in, in case I wanted to reuse the setting. I created Shadefield, inspired by the titular town of Silent Hill (again), Arkham from the Cthulhu Mythos, and Sunnydale from the television series Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Like Silent Hill and Arkham, I wanted a New England setting.

And that is all I can remember about the initial creation of Annie's Adventures in Nightmareland.

9/15/2009 #23
Palm Tree

You've a wonderful gallery. I'm hoping that I'll be able to find the time to read them all to the end and comment. n.n

Anyway, thanks for posting this shipload of information! I'm shocked by how much went into its development and by the sheer number of influences. It was certainly interesting to read and definitely built up an impressive background for an already impressive story.

9/16/2009 #24
Rabukurafuto

You've a wonderful gallery. I'm hoping that I'll be able to find the time to read them all to the end and comment. n.n

Okay, if you want to. Thank you. Personally, some of that is an embarrassmentto me, mostly the earliest items there.

Anyway, thanks for posting this shipload of information! I'm shocked by how much went into its development and by the sheer number of influences. It was certainly interesting to read and definitely built up an impressive background for an already impressive story.

Thank you.

9/16/2009 #25
Palm Tree

You shouldn't be embarrassed! 8G We all have earlier work and, well, it is what it is. Oftentimes, it's better than we think it is. And you're welcome! ^^-

-thinks-

How long did it take you to develop the general story before you decided to sit down and write?

9/16/2009 #26
Rabukurafuto

You shouldn't be embarrassed! 8G We all have earlier work and, well, it is what it is. Oftentimes, it's better than we think it is. And you're welcome! ^^-

All right then. You will find I have some highly unusual tastes though.

How long did it take you to develop the general story before you decided to sit down and write?

Good question. Once I had the characters down I started writing the story shortly after. I had the first chapter up on 13 June and I wrote it in a very short amount of time (chapter 2 took a bit longer). So, about six months from when I first started thinking about the story.

9/16/2009 #27
Palm Tree

I think that it's always good to try new things. ;D That is, if it's new. It may not be. -shrugs-

I see and, again, thank you for answering. 8] By any chance do you have a favorite character or a particular couple that you're partial to?

9/16/2009 #28
Rabukurafuto

I think that it's always good to try new things. ;D That is, if it's new. It may not be. -shrugs-

Come to think of it though, some of my most "depraved" work is actually on FanFiction, a Bleach story called Bleach: Creatures of the Night. It is currently the story I am most proud of though, given the work I had invested into it.

I see and, again, thank you for answering. 8] By any chance do you have a favorite character or a particular couple that you're partial to?

A favorite couple? I don't really have one. It is hard for me to chose favorites like that. How about you?

9/16/2009 #29
Palm Tree

I'll have to keep that one bookmarked as well since you're so confident about it. n.n

On favorites, I understand. It's difficult to choose if you're the author. For me, as a reader, my favorite couple (in theory) is so far Jejire and Julian as I'm eager to see something between the two. However, outside of theory and based solely on what I've read, it has to be Meiling and Cassie. I'm not much of a yuri fan but I adore how their relationship works. To me, it's sweet. 8D

9/16/2009 #30
Page 1 2 Next »
Forum Moderators: Rabukurafuto Rahkshi500
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member