SCIFI NATION ROLEPLAY
The new scifi nation rp
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
awilla the hun

Put these in here: these are about the Galactic Senate, or general things that can be done.

My own suggestion:

Could there be a Galactic Central Bank, like the International Monetary Fund?

3/2/2009 #1
Marinus

I think it's a good idea. I tried to set it up (twice) but we had trials and war and stuff going on and it got overlooked. We'd have to choose a currency, but that's something to debate in Convocation.

3/2/2009 #2
Sarah Crowning

Yeah, imminent invasion tends to overshadow economic treatise. Perhaps we need a Senate Subcommittee thread for this kind of stuff.

I know Singularity would love a galactic currency. It would make all their trade that much easier. The Detech on the other hand wouldn't know about it, and the Ithsantsi wouldn't understand. Don't even ask the Confederates.

3/2/2009 #3
Marinus

Sound idea. I'll post it at once.

3/2/2009 #4
awilla the hun

Personally, though, I'm against single currencies. A country should have a right to decide its own interest rates without getting agreement from everyone else. It's hard enough to get the Euro to work in Europe where everyone's free market and likes each other. Making it work here (where most factions are suspicious, and there are wide varieties of economic models) will be an administrative nightmare.

And one more thing, just to be certain: what sort of billion are we using? Because I heard somewhere that there are different types, and I want to be certain.

3/2/2009 #5
Sarah Crowning

Hey, for a galactic corporation, a single currency makes the accounting that much easier, and allows them to trade and operate that much more efficiency.

And I have no idea what you mean by the billion thing... 1,000,000,000? A thousand millions? I thought numerical catagories were pretty standard.

3/2/2009 #6
awilla the hun

Lets use the short one. There's the short and long scale one (long being 1,000,000,000,000.)

3/2/2009 #7
awilla the hun

Come to think of it, which trillion are we using? There's the long scale billion, or an even bigger trillion (1,000,000,000,000,000,000.)

3/2/2009 #8
Marinus

What awilla is asking is are we using the original British Imperial numeracy - where a billion is a thousand millions and a trillion is a thousand billions - or the American system, where a hundred millions is a billion and a hundred billions is a trillion.

3/2/2009 #9
Sarah Crowning

I don't know if that's the American system, I know I never heard of it. A billion has always been a thousand million where I come from.

3/2/2009 #10
awilla the hun

Evidently it is the American (or, at least, Texan) system.

3/2/2009 #11
awilla the hun

MW, I just read your profile. I merely use Texan as a word to say where you come from (like "New Yorker" or "Brummie" for someone from Birmingham), rather than any thing insulting.

3/2/2009 #12
Sarah Crowning

None taken. I haven't heard a different numerical system being used in either state though. Possibly the people on the west coast see things differently, or perhaps the larger version is some kind of jargon used when scientists need to deal with really big numbers. I don't know.

3/2/2009 #13
awilla the hun

I thought the numbers just varied between countries: and that, if anything, it would be the East Coast Democrats who needed all the bigger numbers in order to work out just how much money Obama is going to put into his latest economic welfare package.

3/2/2009 #14
Sarah Crowning

Eh, California is the welfare state. I can't speak for all the east coast states, but I know in Vermont there's still an entrenched republicanist minority (mostly the natives who lived there before the Great Hippy Invasion of the sixties).

3/2/2009 #15
awilla the hun

I thought that the East and West were Democrat, and the middle Republican. Roughly. But this isn't quite on topic.

3/2/2009 #16
AspenIvan

In fact, Kross and I were planning to set up the IMC, International Monetary Council, for this forum in the near future.

3/2/2009 #17
StarGirl5000

I know I just got here, but I noticed that there seems to be very little since of time and distance in the Rp. Maybe a forum calendar would help put time among the topics in relation. Perhaps there could be a topic that someone updates everyone week or something stating that a year in game has passed, or something of that sort.

I understand that this might be both impractical and impossible given the inconstant rate of each topic, but it still seems like there should be some since of time in the forum. As it is, things seem very confusing. For example, although I haven’t read all 14 pages of The Galactic Senate topic, I get the impression that it all flows like one day, which is a little silly.

Also, this unorganized flow of time causes a lot of confusion and possible conflict in the case of wars and travel between planets. For example, here’s a post from the Rakarskia topic, “The Rakarskian government had heavily fortified their world in orbit, and were mobilizing their entire army. Weapons caches were being opened for conscripts. Military research was being hurried forward-notably, vehicle mounted railguns were now being slowly produced.” Now is not very clear, but it sounds like this takes place over several days, maybe several weeks, but Awilla doesn’t tell us and, as a reader, I’m very confused as to exactly how many days have passed since the declaration of war.

Another confusion that this lack of time creates for are travel distances. People seem to pop instantaneously from one topic to another. While wormholes, warp jumps or whatever, explains the lack of travel time between systems, it should still take days (depends on the size of the system and the tech being used) to travel from the edge of a system to a planet.

I don’t know if anything can be done about this. You people know how this game flows better than I do, but I thought I’d bring it up and I also want to suggest that nation applications include how many light-hours there systems are in radius, so that we can estimate how long it might take ships to cross them.

3/4/2009 #18
StarGirl5000

Since we have seem to have a lot of formal interaction between nations, it seems to me that it’d be a good idea to have a topic that contains a brief list of a nations customs, manners and that nation usually approaches formal diplomatic and business interactions with others.

Differing manners, business styles and customs are a very real part of Earth diplomacy and I’d think it’s be even more pronounced in a galaxy not only full of different cultures, but different races.

For example, race X may find it very rude to even touch others when introduced, while race Y always shakes hands and race Z customarily greets people with a hug and a kiss. Race X may think it’s rude to use hand motions at all while talking. Race Y may think those who don’t look you in the eye are weak and race Z might be offended if someone crosses their arms.

Also there’s appropriate food, dress and greetings for formal interaction, as well as differing approaches to business. Race X may always want to get directly to point of businesses, while race Z finds that very uncomfortable and rude and prefers to spend a day just entertaining and getting to know diplomats, before every even mentioning business.

3/4/2009 #19
awilla the hun

That time problem has always been there, and is unlikely to be easily removed for the simple reason that everything takes a long time to get done (partly due to Marinus and I living across the Atlantic), and because people get impatient easily.

3/5/2009 #20
Sarah Crowning

And all our attempts at formal time systems have failed rather badly. Time is pretty fluid now, although I think it's safe to say that a few years have passed in forum time.

3/5/2009 #21
AspenIvan

Oh, and for all of you to know, the WTO has just been brought in by the HSA (quite appropriately). The ITC (international Trade Council) is located on the Goliath, the HSA's super space station.

3/6/2009 #22
awilla the hun

Some sort of Amnesty International/Red Cross thing? There are going to be a lot of wars, famines, plagues etc so the latter is going to see some action.

3/14/2009 #23
AspenIvan

That would make sense, but we need Marinus here to get it done.

3/14/2009 #24
Zurajai

To be more active!

5/23/2010 #25
AspenIvan

Yeah, sorry I haven't been up to par lately. I'll try my best to get my next response in tomorrow.

5/25/2010 #26
Zurajai

No problem bro. We all have writers block at times.

5/25/2010 #27
Forum Moderators: Andarius Marinus
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member