On the Edge
It's kept you up at night, and you just can't get it out of your head. Thrillers that keep you on the edge, and advice for the best plot twists for your story. Come post your story here, give advice, ask for advice. It's your choice.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
surfercharlie25

Okay, this may seem totally random, but I think one needs to read a lot of a genre to write the genre well, and that's what I'm trying to do. So it might be nice to have a place to ask for recommendations on thriller novels and post reviews.

So, to start, here's a list of thrillers I want to read. I'm looking for ratings of these:

The Last of the Mohicians by James Fenimore Cooper

Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad

The Sea Wolf by Jack London

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas

Eye of the Needle by Ken Follett

Rogue Male by Geoffrey Household

And in return, here's a rating for you:

Blue-Eyed Devil by Robert B. Parker - *** out of ***-quite good if you like westerns

1/3/2011 #1
E.Garrison

If you want psychological thrillers, I highly suggest Reading William Sleator - such things as House of Stairs, or the Boy Who Could Not Die. Action thrillers, the Bourne Series by Robert Ludlum. The Sea Wolf was good, but I've never read any of the others.

1/4/2011 #2
surfercharlie25

Thanks! I'm also wondering if you've read anything by F. Paul Wilson. I checked out The Touch from my local library and I'm looking for The Keep and The Tomb. You may know him as the author of the Repairman Jack novels.

Oh, and as for a recommendation:

This is a fantastic series; a great mix of thriller and horror. *** out of *** for sure!!!

1/4/2011 #3
E.Garrison

Haven't read those either. I had read this one Sherlock Holmes book - not an original - Shadows something. Thats a good thriller. Has to do with Jack the Ripper. Very Well done.

1/4/2011 #4
A Fire Rose

Great idea! I am currently reading this:

House by Frank Peretti and Ted Dekker.

Thrilled the crap out of me so far. These guys are two master suspence novelists who have combined their artistic powers into one big explosion of thrill.

8/22/2012 #5
Cyberjazzi

Hi SurferCharlie25

I wouldn't call Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad a thriller per se - more a dark novel considered a classic that borders on the macabre and not the easiest read but worth it if you persevere. It is one of the better books I have read but judging by your list - you seem to be interested in the more classic award winning "thriller/mystery" type genres that go deep as opposed to the more escapist fiction.

Good luck

Cyberjazzi

9/21/2012 #6
Forum Moderators: xbluxmoonx
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member