Tome: A Mystery RPG
A death in the Library of Worlds forces the characters of the murdered writer to find his killer. With the fate of several literary worlds at stake, the murderer must be stopped if the Library is to survive.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 Next »
Jave Harron

The group observes the CV Archon and its battlegroup through the periscope. It has a destroyer, a cruiser, and two smaller submersibles. A few constructs fly combat air patrols around it.

"Orders?" the sub's captain asks the group. "We have torpedos, smokescreens, chaff, and a deck gun if you need a diversion."

8/7/2008 #1
Jave Harron

"How will you cast that storm?" a sailor asks Moros. "Do you need to be above the waterline? Or will down here work?"

8/7/2008 #2
Cam S

"I need to be able to speak to the water and kill a large animal to do it," Moros said in a deadpan voice, "Unless you can get me a dolphin--and that's not sarcasm, a dolphin would be a good choice--we're going in as is."

8/8/2008 #3
dreamshell

"Do you not think it would have been prudent to mention this earlier?" Chandi asks Moros with a slight scowl.

8/8/2008 #4
Cam S

"I did," Moros replies simply, looking at her with a blank expression.

8/8/2008 #5
Jave Harron

"I think I can arrange something," the captain says. "We'll surface out of range of the carrier battlegroup, and send out a soundwave to lure a certain animal in. Since this vessel uses sound to navigate underwater, we have found we can lure aquatic life towards us by mimicking certain wavelengths."

With that, the vessel surfaces, and the hatch to the conning tower is opened. A sonar ping is heard, and a sperm whale appears behind the ship. The deck gun is turned towards the animal.

"Need it killed in any particular way?" the captain asks. "If not, we'll just blast it with that."

8/8/2008 #6
Cam S

Moros thinks for a moment, his eyes shining.

"If you could shoot it in such a way as to stun it...I need to do the actual killing, but it can be injured...then get me a saw and get me on its back..."

8/8/2008 #7
Jave Harron

"Well, a shell from this would blast the whale to bits," the captain says. "But we could do this..."

He pulls a small cylinder from his belt, pulls the pin, and lobs it into the water near the whale. There's an underwater flash, and the whale is dazed and floats along side the sub.

"Gotta love flashbombs," the captain remarks.

8/8/2008 #8
Cam S

Moros takes a saw offered to him by a crewman, who pulls a cord on it, setting a chain in motion around the blade, and leaps across, trailing a winched cable that had been attached to his back behind him.

He begins to slice into the leviathan's back, screaming prayers to Poseidon, asking him to "unchain the Hecatonchires" and promising him a libation of blood and agony, spilled into the ocean on his behalf, and promising prayers and eternal glory to the "Earth Shaker" as he referred to him. After he had severed the whale's spine as best he could, its head beginning to thrash about, he began to shear a large hunk of meat off, and began to sing low a profane prayer to the Hecatonchires--the hundred-handed gods of hurricanes and storms.

When his work was done, he dove into the bloody foam, as a team of crewmen began to reel him back in.

Far away, on the horizon, hundreds of ghostly hands could be seen--some reaching up to the sky, some dragging through the water. The sky began to darken and there was a distant sound of drums. Perhaps it was simply his imagination, though.

Moros, looking much more gaunt than he had been going over and white as a sheet under the whale's blood, grinned at his companions:

"It's done...burn the body if you can...if not, that's fine..."

With that, he sank out of consciousness, temporarily.

8/8/2008 #9
Jave Harron

Moros is taken back on board as the sub goes under. The sea picks up, and the sub goes under. Through the periscope, they can see the carrier battlegroup beginning to panic. The ships batton down their hatches, and the escorts try to ride out the building-sized waves heading towards them. The carrier, though, is defiantly rocking in the waves. Its flying constructs are sheltered within, and it seems unfazed by the storm. However, there is an explosion along the side of the cruiser. The destroyer has crashed into the side of a cruiser, hitting the powder magazine. There is able distraction as the other vessels are unsure how to react: save themselves, or offer support. There are several ladders and life rafts launched from both sides of the carrier. If they seek to infiltrate the Archon, they now have a route: up the ladders that were dropped.

8/8/2008 #10
Jave Harron

The submersible pops up on the other side of the battleship. The ladders are made of heavy cable, allowing Clockroach and Oro to climb up. They make it to the flight deck, and find several locked-down hatches leading down. They can try to force their way into a door near the base of the control tower, or a hatch leading below the flight deck.

8/9/2008 #11
Jave Harron

The group enters the door near the control tower. As Chandi enters, she sees an Imperial officer with a squad of five marines behind him. They hold shotguns and repeating carbines.

"Who are you?" the officer asks, pulling out his pistol. "Identify yourselves!"

8/10/2008 #12
dreamshell

Chandi quickly formulates a lie.

"We are Corredine citizens," she tells the officer. "We were being held captive by those bastard Amfolk, but to our great fortune, a group of valiant Imperial sailors rescued us. When the storm began and those other vessels crashed, they sent us here for safety and went to help their comrades. We were in little more than rags, so they clothed us in spare uniforms to prevent hypothermia."

The warrior-diplomat casts a glance at Oro and Clockroach and elaborates.

"These constructs were sent with us as well to be used for rudimentary navigation and maintenance. Hardly worth it, though, these dumb machines. But better them than the Autonomy, yes?" Chandi forces a chuckle. "Isn't that right, you little metal bug?" she asks Clockroach, hoping it'll play along.

8/10/2008 . Edited 8/10/2008 #13
Monev11235

"Of course, Mistress," Clockroach replies in a perfectly docile voice. It understands the need to execute this as well as she does.

8/10/2008 #14
Jave Harron

The officer lowers his pistol. "Alright, then," he says. "You can head downstairs and down the hall to the left. There's a spare room of bunks you can use in the mean time. I'll go inform the Captain about you."

With that, he points the way to the spare bunks, and heads upstairs with his squad. The door is left open behind them.

8/11/2008 #15
dreamshell

Chandi turns to Geminos.

“We could use some biomancy right now,” the warrior-diplomat says. “Some mild mind or pheromone control would be useful. Anything that could keep the crew calm and impressionable."

8/11/2008 #16
Crownbreaker

"I can do that," Geminos says as soon as they're out of earshot of the Imperials. "Don't try anything really suspicious, though. The pheromones will make them more impressionable, but it isn't mind control."

After a moment he taps the side of one of his heads. "Didn't you get some telepathic minutiae in the last tomeworld?"

8/11/2008 #17
dreamshell

Chandi considers. “I did purchase some Minutiae, yes. Though, I don’t know if it has given me telepathic abilities…”

The warrior-diplomat closes her eyes, attempting to focus. She frowns, trying to communicate with Geminos using only her mind.

can you hear me? She is able to ask. Geminos receives the message, but it is weak, almost indiscernible from one of his own stray thoughts.

8/12/2008 #18
Jave Harron

"Try focusing more," Geminos instructs her in a few techniques. "You should be able to broadcast thought as well as receive it if you can focus a certain way."

Chandi follows Geminos' advice, and hears some thoughts of the sailors on the nearby decks:

"Do you really think those weirdos downstairs are civilians?"

"At least they're not that floozy whore the Captain brought aboard. What was her name again?"

"Let me take a look at these civilians," comes a thought in a mental voice she imagines is some high ranking officer. "She said they may be something other than refugees or Amfolk."

She senses thoughts of a man with a mighty ego, and something that seems to be absent of deeper thought approaching down the hall. The thoughts of a few Imperial Marines behind them are also detected.

8/12/2008 #19
dreamshell

"I believe the captain and some of his Marines are heading this way," Chandi informs the others. "And, if I am not mistaken, we have another Su on our hands."

8/12/2008 . Edited 8/12/2008 #20
Monev11235

"Do you think having me pose as a 'rogue construct' or Autonomy assassin could allow me to assassinate the Su for an instant kill and flee with relative safety without endangering you?" Clockroach asks. "If not, we had best be moving. Now."

8/12/2008 #21
Jave Harron

Clockroach begins to consider the fact the Marines with the Su and Captain may have armor piercing firearms, if they indeed fear hostile constructs. The fact they fight Amfolk and Autonomy forces on a regular basis may direct their small arms development along certain lines.

8/12/2008 #22
dreamshell

“Might we be able to manipulate the Su in some way? Delude her into thinking we are someone else? Or incapacitate her in some subtle manner?” Chandi inquires.

8/12/2008 #23
Monev11235

"That part isn't my domain. Anyone else feels up to it, I'm for it. How much time do we have before they can hear us?" Clockroach asks.

8/12/2008 #24
Crownbreaker

"We were planning on replacing the captain anyway." Geminos says. "Now might be the best opportunity to do that and take out the Su at the same time. We'd need to act fast, though."

Geminos tries to get a feel for how many people are with the captain and how far away they are.

8/12/2008 #25
Jave Harron

The Captain has a pistol sidearm, and has three Imperial Marines holding shotguns with him. The Su has a massive pistol with a caliber that anyone else could not easily handle. They will be at the room in a few minutes. So, they had better decide on a plan fast.

8/12/2008 #26
Monev11235

"So, uh, kill 'em all?" Clockroach asks, his back compartment opening. "I can lay traps if we decide to do this now."

8/12/2008 #27
dreamshell

"I suppose there is no point prolonging the inevitable," Chandi says, turning her attention to her new pistols. "Set your traps, if you would," she requests of Clockroach. "Everyone else, get ready."

8/12/2008 #28
Monev11235

Clockroach, master of subtlety, sets his "traps." It consists of concealing nails to the brim of every possible point they could be concealed. It is, to be sure, unwieldy, but Clockroach is able to control them all to the extent that a swarm of industrial-length-and-sharpness nails needs to kill people quickly. "I may need someone to ensure the Su-thing goes down. No mercy, no hesitation. Anything that can't regenerate from mortal wounds should be decently covered by my nails, but it would be overly optimistic to assume Madam Su would die at mere death.

8/12/2008 #29
Cam S

Moros wakes up in a compartment inside the sub--barbed wire ripping into his flesh, but he doesn't really care.

"What?" he asks.

"You passed out," a familiar voice says. It was a librarian. Aemos.

"How are you here?"

"The same way I get anywhere," the voice says, now belonging to Chandi, before changing into Clockroaches, "I hitched a ride."

"Get out of my head," Moros hisses.

"No," Ades' voice says.

"It's mine," Moros says, trying to say it quietly enough that none of the sailors would hear him.

"No, it isn't," the Geminos brothers seem to say to him in unison.

Moros throws himself to his feet.

"Leave the sub," it instructs him, in the female librarian's--Lady Yang's--voice, "you don't know how it feels to drown. That would be new."

"No, no, no, I refuse," he says, despite making his way to the ladder that would allow him to leave the sub, "I don't want to die."

"Do it," it says in a commanding voice that Moros didn't recognize, but knows in the back of his skull that it was the voice of his creator, whom had died before Moros even emerged into the same level of reality.

8/12/2008 #30
Page 1 2 Next »
Forum Moderators: Jave Harron Monev11235, dreamshell
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member