Tome: A Mystery RPG
A death in the Library of Worlds forces the characters of the murdered writer to find his killer. With the fate of several literary worlds at stake, the murderer must be stopped if the Library is to survive.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 2 3 Next »
Jave Harron

There is a flash around the bend, but no one is there. The result is the walls are only singed a bit. Their enemy has fallen back somewhere down here.

Reaching the ocean would require Moros to run outside and jump off the dock. Or run around down here until he finds a port for the imported ships. He recalls seeing that the water from the ship that was just imported was drained off into a collecting pool on the side. Moros jumps into a cool collecting pool, wiping off the pheromone.

Clockroach approaches Ades, and begins to repair the fallen soulshell. After welding several patches back onto Ades and realigning parts of his body, Clockroach repairs the smaller construct. "How are both of you now?" it asks its two 'patients.'

9/21/2008 #31
The Crazy Talk Kid

"We're mobile," Ades tells him. "Let's get the others rounded up. I don't think you hit Chandi hard enough though, try it again in case she's still affected by the hormones."

9/21/2008 #32
Crownbreaker

"I don't think that will be necessary," Geminos says, taking the opportunity to inject Chandi with a set of pheromone-resistant micro-organisms.

"Poorly done, Eleutherios. Crudity is childish entertainment. I'd hoped for something more sophisticated."

9/21/2008 #33
Jave Harron

"You'll have better playmates soon," the unseen Eleutherios taunts, his voice echoing around the bend. "I'm just down the next hall. Come and get me."

9/22/2008 #34
Cam S

"I have an idea," Moros said, nervously re-approaching the group, "but we need to see him, first. Geminos, if you would kindly take just a brief glance around the corner?"

9/22/2008 #35
Crownbreaker

"Gladly," Geminos says. He produces a winged eye biomorph and sends it around the corner. "I have a few ideas as well, but I'd rather wait on them."

9/22/2008 #36
Jave Harron

Geminos' biomorph looks around the corner to see four heavy war constructs ready to attack. There is no sign of their enemy, but there is a speaker right overhead on the wall. He might have fallen back even farther, hiding somewhere else down the hall.

9/22/2008 #37
Cam S

Looking at Chandi and Clockroach, Moros asks:

"Can you both make walls of thaumokinetic energy?"

9/22/2008 #38
dreamshell

Chandi collects herself and focuses her attention on Moros, no longer an objection of mad affection.

"I... yes, I believe that is possible," she says, coming out of her daze.

9/23/2008 #39
Jave Harron

Clockroach nods. "Yes, but more like...circular shields than rectangular blocks, though it is possible." The geometry of a shield could vary, but circles were one of the easy two dimensional shapes to deploy.

9/23/2008 #40
Cam S

"Alright; Chandi, I want you to create a thaumokinetic shield that fits as close to the wall as possible. Clockroach, I need you to create the biggest one you can behind them. If you can fit it to the walls, that'd be good. If not, well...we'll manage," he thinks for a moment, before continuing,"I think you two understand what I'm getting at."

"I can empower both of you, if you think it necessary. I haven't done it before, but I think I can apply the agony-energy in such a way as to empower another thaumaturge."

9/23/2008 #41
Jave Harron

The corridor is fairly long, and creating a wall over all of it would easily drain both Clockroach and Chandi of energy, barring any boost from Moros.

"We could do certain sections of wall instead," Clockroach suggests. "Like if you want to ricochet something down there."

9/23/2008 #42
Jave Harron

"So, are you going to give us a boost or not?" Clockroach asks. "Creating walls will take a lot of energy."

9/24/2008 #43
Cam S

Moros begins to channel a flow of energy into the two other thaumaturges, using the background glow of the barbed wire to bolster them. He pierced a hole in his side with the needle, and then threaded his barbed cord into it.

Gritting his teeth, Moros sank to his knees, and began to floss the cord back and forth through the gaping hole.

"Move the walls together," he hissed through his teeth, "..need more..."

He looked up, and looked to Ades.

"You. Stand behind me and kick me in the middle of my back...aim for the spine."

9/25/2008 #44
Jave Harron

Ades nails the thaumaturge in the back of the spine, allowing his hard metal foot to come into contact with Moros' soft flesh.

9/26/2008 #45
dreamshell

Chandi begins to form a wall of thaumokinetic energy, exerting more effort than usual to improve its stability.

9/26/2008 #46
Cam S

"Oh, that was a good one," Moros grunts, then commanded the thaumaturges to whom he was feeding power, "crush them!"

9/26/2008 #47
Jave Harron

The walls crush the war constructs into scrap metal. However, a crate of munitions nearby is also crushed, creating an explosion in the corridor. When the smoke clears, a hole in the wall is apparent.

9/27/2008 #48
Jave Harron

The hall appears clear for now, and the hole seems to have a cot, bookshelves, small thaumaturgical lamp, some food, and other basic anemities of living.

9/27/2008 #49
The Crazy Talk Kid

"The Librarians will not be happy with this," Ades announces, "Maybe we can still catch our antagonist though."

9/27/2008 #50
Cam S

"Should we check the bookshelves? I doubt the stolen volumes are there, but there might be some useful information," Moros says, putting his clothing back on and chanelling his pain into the drops of blood still clinging to the cord.

9/27/2008 #51
dreamshell

"We might as well investigate," Chandi says. "Perhaps you could send out your flying eye again, Geminos? Though it is difficult to believe we would face another incident after what has just taken place, we have as well plenty of reason to be overly cautious."

9/28/2008 #52
Jave Harron

Geminos sends the eye inside, and notices a small locked box on the end of the bookshelf, hidden behind some larger volumes.

9/28/2008 #53
Jave Harron

"Hey, I don't see any traps," Geminos says. "But there's a small lockbox in here. Looks pretty fancy for spartan living down here."

9/29/2008 #54
Cam S

Moros looks at the others, who seem to be trying to figure out what to do next.

He gingerly steps inside, and tests the box. Locked.

Channeling more agony-energy into it, he turns the lock into a small construct.

"Your only purpose it to open safely. Fulfill your purpose at this exact moment in time," he instructed.

9/29/2008 #55
Jave Harron

The box opens, revealing two small books. One is a bound hardback tome, resembling a miniature version of the Tomeworlds they had seen before. The other is a leather-bound journal, and looks very worn and frequently used.

9/30/2008 #56
Cam S

Moros pockets the miniature tomeworld in his pouch with his needles. He gingerly opens the journal, and reads the first passage aloud as he walks toward the rest of the group.

9/30/2008 #57
Jave Harron

The first entry is dated several months ago. "Sealed off this niche for a short term stash. In case the damn Mods go looking, there will be nothing but a wall. Location near receiving bays allows me to see what they're pulling out of the Tomeworlds. Will keep a research log here."

The next entry is a few weeks later. "With all the equipment coming through, it would look like they're building an army. All the warships, weapons, constructs, thaumaturgical items, and other goods could come to use for helping rebuild. Or start a new nation from scratch. We certainly have the technology and thaumaturgy to do so. Why can't we just increase the rate of harvesting?"

The next few entries deal with disasstisfaction for slow harvesting methods. "Why can't we increase the harvesting rate? It's not like we can't make new Tomeworlds! The damned Moderates near monopolize the production, so why can't we at least have a shot at it? A single tomeworld is but a resource. Countless tomes could be created from imagination alone. Some characters have already been made. Perhaps if characters could be mass produced to act for us?"

The next entry is more disorganized, as if someone was grinding the pen against the paper. "Met an irritating little brat today. Her lack of imagination but productivity with writing may come useful with this character army... What they lack in personality can be made up for in numbers and powers. Still, I require an overseer, and the thaumaturgical equations to create tomeworlds annoy me."

The last entry is fairly recent. "Found out which of the Moderates has the Book! The Thoth book contains the key algorithms and syntaxes I require. May abandon this niche. The new mercenary I have hired has proven his ability to control the Sus... Perhaps I may tweak the Su legions with input from him?"

9/30/2008 #58
dreamshell

“It seems we have the journal of some Radical,” Chandi remarks. “Aemos and the other Moderates might want to see this...”

A little voice in the back of the warrior-diplomat's head admonishes her. But why hand it over so willingly? Why not finally make an assertive effort to gain your freedom?

"...That is, of course, if we still wish to serve them. Despite his nature, Eleutherios may be right. Perhaps we are pawns.”

9/30/2008 #59
Monev11235

"I would like freedom, certainly," Clockroach began uncertainly. "And treated as tools though we are... is that not our purpose in life, as the lock construct's purpose was to open safely?" It paused. "On the other hand, the Librarians have taken many actions I disapprove of strongly. I am... uncertain which course is the right one. Perhaps we should find a safe spot briefly in which to decide?"

9/30/2008 #60
« Prev Page 1 2 3 Next »
Forum Moderators: Jave Harron Monev11235, dreamshell
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member