Tome: A Mystery RPG
A death in the Library of Worlds forces the characters of the murdered writer to find his killer. With the fate of several literary worlds at stake, the murderer must be stopped if the Library is to survive.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 Next »
Jave Harron

They are lead into a rocky valley with some brush growing on the sides. Two guards show them a large tunnel entrance, cleared away from some brush.

"It's big enough to fit a leystrutter down there," one remarks. "But we haven't gone too deep. The cultists like to set up ambushes."

11/12/2008 #1
dreamshell

Chandi looks to the others. "Shall we continue using the leystrutters or head out on foot?"

11/12/2008 #2
Monev11235

"Well, I don't grow tired," Clockroach points out, "So I don't really need a say in this."

11/12/2008 . Edited by dreamshell, 11/12/2008 #3
Crownbreaker

"The leystrutters are too obvious," Geminos says "I think it would be better to go forward on foot and carefully scout. I'd rather not stumble into an ambush."

11/12/2008 . Edited 11/12/2008 #4
Cam S

"I think that foot would be best," Moros says, then asks, "how do we want to do this?"

11/12/2008 #5
Jave Harron

There is always the option of creating biomorphs to explore the different tunnels, and perhaps find the cult leaders and supports for the fortress. Clockroach's resonance recordings, applied to the correct parts of the foundation, can bring the fortress crashing down above. Moros' stored agony can boost the production rate, speed, and sight range of Geminos' biomorphs, and Clockroach's resonance volume. Chandi's thaumokinetics can also prevent the cave from collapsing with them in it.

11/12/2008 #6
Crownbreaker

"I can form biomorphs to scout the fortress," Geminos says. "And with a little more time and energy I can have them do more than that." He thinks of the various possibilities: using biomorphs to deliver neurotoxin or ...

"I need a number of small animals. Rabbits or something similar," he mutters. "Hold on a moment." Geminos sends one of his bodies a short distance off into the woods, looking for suitable animals.

11/12/2008 #7
dreamshell

Chandi projects a gravitational globe around herself and levitates over the valley to help in Geminos’ search.

11/13/2008 #8
Jave Harron

There are a variety of animals around: Deer, rabbits, and squirrels.

11/13/2008 #9
Jave Harron

Chandi and one of Geminos' bodies manage to acquire a few rabbits and squirrels.

11/14/2008 #10
Crownbreaker

Geminos gathers up the animals and brings them back to the group. He starts altering them, specifically so he can use them as scouts.

"These will let us explore around and in the tunnels while hopefully being less conspicuous than a flock of flying eyeballs." He grins. "You never know. I might even be able to take a cultist or two down with them."

11/14/2008 #11
Jave Harron

The mutated animals fan out. Down one path, Geminos notes something strange. There is a launching system with a thaumechanical steam catapult and several Corredine-styled autogyro drones nearby. The drones have wings folded, and two cultists are loading ceramic pots to their underside.

"So, the boss' guest gave us this?" one asks.

"Yeah. It will give us a chance to finally massacre the enemies of the Black Goat," the other says, loading a ceramic pot. "They're all camped just outside the valley, and in close quarters. We can infect them all in one fell swoop."

11/15/2008 . Edited by dreamshell, 11/16/2008 #12
dreamshell

When Geminos relays the intel, Chandi speaks up.

"We must destroy those catapults or those in the encampment are doomed."

11/16/2008 #13
Jave Harron

The thaumechanical steam catapult has several valves and pipes leading to a boiler. Perhaps using this could help blow up their entire operation. They look like they had been assembled ad hoc and improvised, since they are obviously not from this world, and they were likely assembled by technically illiterate cultists.

11/16/2008 #14
Cam S

"What's going on?" Moros asks, not being privileged to the information that the others are gathering.

He is pricking his fingers, milking small amounts of pain into the vials he wears in a bandolier across his chest.

11/17/2008 #15
Jave Harron

"Geminos has sent scouts that found two steam catapults, likely imported from the "Twilight Empire" tomeworld. The cultists are using them to launch plague-bomb drones. If these things can be rigged to explode, I estimate that the instability will bring this entire fortress crashing down," Clockroach says. "They've hollowed out so much down here, it's barely stable. The boilers for those steam catapults, similar to the aircraft carrier we captured, put a lot of stress on the levels below them."

11/17/2008 #16
Crownbreaker

Geminos sends his scout biomorph looking around the steam catapult machinery, looking for any easily spotted instabilities.

"I can take out the guards," he says. "Do we need to get closer or can we get the boilers to explode from out here?" Geminos absently wishes he was less ignorant of machinery.

11/19/2008 . Edited by dreamshell, 11/20/2008 #17
Jave Harron

"If I may observe the machines through your scouts' senses, I estimate that I will be able to apply thaumechanical forces to them from a distance," Clockroach notes.

11/20/2008 #18
Jave Harron

"I can provide a boost," Moros pulls out a vial of pain, getting ready to channel it. "Ready when you are."

Geminos, boosted by the pain, allows Clockroach to see through the eyes of the scout rabbit. The mutated rabbit jumps on one of the cultists, ripping his throat out with its new teeth. Another scout rabbit does the same to the other.

Clockroach senses several pistons in the boiler, feeding the catapults with pressure. It is hard, but he is able to jam up several release valves of the boiler.

"Fleeing is a highly recommended course of action," the soulshell notes.

11/20/2008 #19
Jave Harron

The group makes it out of the caves as the tunnels collapse. They emerge into the valley, and start looking at the fortress. It is collapsing onto itself, and several cultists run out, away from the collapsing structure. Arrows from the nearby encampment drop them as they flee.

The group returns to the encampment. "What exactly did you guys do?" the warchief asks them.

"Destroyed a machine they were going to use to spread plague to your entire army," Moros replies. "There might be some stragglers, but the threat's been removed."

A scout runs up to the chief's encampment.

"Hey! We found Iya!" the scout proclaims. "The cult leader! Shot full of arrows!"

"Wonderful news!" comes the reply. "Now, anything I can assist you with?"

Overhead, the flotilla of Vox battleships approaches.

11/22/2008 #20
Monev11235

"Nice of them to show up now," Clockroach comments.

11/22/2008 #21
Jave Harron

Clockroach detects a strange resonance in the air. Just then, one of the battleships falls from the sky, crashing over a distant hill. The others start to wobble randomly. The fleet is positioned directly above them and the camp.

11/22/2008 #22
Crownbreaker

"They appear to be having some difficulties." Geminos says. "I think our friend Eleutherios has manufactured another improbable scheme."

11/22/2008 #23
Monev11235

"He probably taught himself resonance thaumaturgy," Clockroach groans. "Let's head over to them and see what we can do to help."

11/22/2008 #24
Jave Harron

A battleship crashes directly on top of the warchief's tent. The group sees some of the shuttles alongside are intact, however. Clockroach may be able to replay the resonance from earlier to control it. There is a flagship that seems fairly stable, while the other floating vessels struggle to stay aloft. There may be answers, if they could find a way aboard.

11/22/2008 #25
Monev11235

"This is... not good," Clockroach mutters. "I'm going to try resonance to keep the unstable ships up." Any time it sees a ship starting to fall, it attempts to raise it back up.

11/22/2008 . Edited by dreamshell, 11/23/2008 #26
Crownbreaker

"I can get up there," Geminos says. Both twins start to develop wings and othetr instruments of flight. "But I can't carry much." He gestures at Moros.

"There should be plenty of pain from the crashes. Can you make a flying golem that could carry you up? Or boost Chandi's kinetic abilities and have her lift all of you up?"

11/23/2008 #27
dreamshell

"I will do what I can, if you will help me," Chandi gestures to Moros.

11/23/2008 #28
Jave Harron

Moros senses the agony around him. Many Vox are crushed immediately upon impact, as are the victims unfortunate enough to be slower than the falling battleships. Some unlucky survivors still live, buried alive under debris. Moros senses Clockroach's own resonance needs a boost, as well as Chandi.

Chandi feels herself and those around her grow much lighter. Ades/Oro is lifted up, and Moros follows soon afterwards. Clockroach is the last to ascend. The construct finds that he is able to cancel out some of the resonance noise that is making the aerial fleet unstable. The noise is emerging from the flagship. Several escape pods are being launched from the battleships, and shuttles are flying away. Regardless, a few unlucky ships still fall, creating enough agony from Moros to help move the group upwards.

Chandi, with Moros' boost, finds herself staring at their destination: An open docking port on the flagship. The party flies through, with Geminos covering them. They find panicked Vox soldiers trying to run into escape pods. One Vox guard manages to pull another out.

"What the hell is going on?" he shouts.

"The Admiral's gone mad!" the other replies. "We've got to get out of here, before we all die!"

"No, we need to kill him," the first replies, looking at the party. "Hey, I recognize them! What are you doing up here?"

11/23/2008 . Edited by dreamshell, 11/23/2008 #29
dreamshell

"We have come to help you," Chandi tells the Vox. "What is going on here? Something to do with the Admiral, I heard?"

11/23/2008 #30
Page 1 2 Next »
Forum Moderators: Jave Harron Monev11235, dreamshell
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member