Tome: A Mystery RPG
A death in the Library of Worlds forces the characters of the murdered writer to find his killer. With the fate of several literary worlds at stake, the murderer must be stopped if the Library is to survive.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 Next »
Jave Harron

The group find themselves in what appears to be a massive tower. Several levels are connected by a complex network of elevators, walkways, and stairs. People are connected to strange machines, apparently ignorant of what is going on around them. Moros can sense ambient pain energy, and the machines here seem to extract it from the dozens of subjects.

12/5/2008 #1
Cam S

Moros steps over, examining the machines.

As he extracts ambient pain from the ether around him, he sighs.

"This is getting old," he grumbles.

12/7/2008 #2
Jave Harron

A metal man runs towards the group, as a squad of soldiers pursues him. "Stop that construct, citizens!" one soldier says. They are each clad in a red metal and cloth uniform. They hold some type of firearm type weapon in hand. The metal man resembles a human, save for his stainless steel body. The construct rushes towards the edge of the nearest catwalk, and jumps down.

"Citizens, why did you not assist?" one soldier says. "Present your papers!"

12/7/2008 #3
Crownbreaker

Geminos ponders the situation for a moment. He's getting sick of meeting new people and then having them try to kill him, so he decides to try a more subtle approach.

"I don't think you'll need to see our papers." He wafts some pheromones in the direction of the soldiers, hoping to make them more suggestible.

12/7/2008 #4
Jave Harron

"I think you do," one particularly stubborn soldier says, raising his weapon. "If you aren't going to help, get out!"

12/8/2008 #5
Cam S

Moros sighs.

"I suppose we'll have to tour the mechanized torture chamber some other time," he says, sardonically, "I'm full up, anyway."

12/8/2008 #6
Jave Harron

"This is not a torture chamber!" the soldier protests. "This is a State sanctioned Harvesting Facility. Come with us now!"

The soldier raises his weapon.

Just then, a burst of strange light blue energy erupts from an unseen source, killing the soldiers. The group looks to the source to see the construct from before holding onto the ledge in one hand, and holding a similar weapon to the soldiers in the other.

"Hurry!" it says. "They always have reinforcements!"

12/9/2008 #7
Crownbreaker

"Why should I come with you?" Geminos says. "For all I know, you want to do the same thing they do, or worse."

12/9/2008 #8
Jave Harron

"Your call," the construct says. "If they catch you, they'll put you in the penal section. Which is much, much worse than this. These people have their job donating their life and pain to the State, but do it voluntarily. The penal section's for the enemies of the State. Since you obviously aren't from around here, I advise you follow me out."

12/9/2008 #9
dreamshell

Chandi narrows her eyes at the construct. "Are you perhaps the entity known as ‘Model One’?”

12/9/2008 #10
Jave Harron

"That I am," the construct says. "I need to return to my creator in the Haven Consortium. The State and a deranged cult have been chasing me since I got separated from there."

"Do you know how we get out of here?" Chandi asks.

"Yes, at the bottom of the Harvesting Tower," Model One replies. "There should be an emergency exit down there. If you want, follow me out. If not, more of them will be arriving." He points at the dead soldiers.

The construct leads the group down several flights of stairs, while a familiar voice is heard from an unknown place. "So, you seek to escape with that Construct, don't you? That construct has information on all manner of weapons and devices that could reduce armies to rubble and ash," Eleutherios' voice explains.

As they reach the bottom, the emergency exit is blocked. Not by enemies, but by steel bars.

12/10/2008 #11
Cam S

"I've got this one," Moros said.

He produced a vial of pain, and touched the bars.

"Get out of our way; go jam yourselves in some complex machine other than the constructs travelling with me," he instructed. The bars pulled themselves free, and began to slither away, snakelike.

12/10/2008 #12
Jave Harron

The door is opened as the steel bars jam themselves into the pain harvesting machinery around.

Eleutherios' voice can be heard saying, "You had better run. The first floor's about to suffer a meltdown."

This time, his voice seems calmer, and less arrogant. If it is Eleutherios, that is. Outside the door lies a pathway leading to a chain-link fence with several strange, tracked vehicles parked outside.

12/10/2008 #13
Monev11235

Clockroach tears down the fence as they exit. "Let's keep moving."

12/10/2008 #14
Jave Harron

Model One examines one of the tracked vehicles. There is a metal hatch in the back, and a strange mounted weapon on it. There are armored windows that all the people inside to see out.

"Excellent," he says. "Mark II Crawlers. These should prove more than sufficient. Do any of you have experience with pulsed ether?"

12/10/2008 #15
Jave Harron

"I guess not," Model One says. "You point them at your enemy, and pull the trigger. Really that simple."

The construct climbs into the armored transport. "Would someone mind manning the gun turret? I know a shortcut to the Haven Consortium."

12/12/2008 . Edited by dreamshell, 12/13/2008 #16
dreamshell

"I shall do it," Chandi offers.

12/13/2008 #17
Jave Harron

The group piles into the armored transport, with ample room for even the constructs. Model One sits at the controls, and Chandi mounts herself behind a metal shield with a strange, massive weapon mounted on it. It is easy to turn the massive weapon in all directions, and move it up and down. The weapon fires a blue burst of energy, similar to what the soldiers had fired before.

"Shoot anything that chases us," Model One says.

The tracked vehicle starts up, and drives forwards, and Chandi sees the area around. They had just left a massive tower, with a city in front of them. Most of the structures, aside from the tower, are short and squat brick structures. Strange vehicles, each with two front wheels and one third wheel, fill the streets. The ocean is visible over the far horizon, and the city has a port nearby. A river bisects the city in two.

The vehicle heads down the road, and several enemy soldiers emerge from the woods. "Stand down and surrender!" one shouts.

12/13/2008 #18
Jave Harron

Chandi only responds with a blast of gunfire, mowing them down.

"Hold on!" Model One shouts, hitting the accelerator. The armored transport approaches a nearby river with an increasing velocity, smashing through a railing and splashing down. The craft is lifted by its own buoyancy, and the currents help move it away from the enemies behind them.

Geminos and Clockroach recall some of the methods they used to increase velocity of the organic vehicles back in "Skin Deep." Perhaps some thaumokinetics and biological jets can be applied to the amphibious crawler.

12/15/2008 #19
Jave Harron

Just then, two other watercraft appear: two gunboats, heading to intercept the transport as it moves out into the bay. "Can anyone help?" Model One asks the rest of the people in the transport. "Move us faster, protect us, kill them, anything!"

12/17/2008 #20
dreamshell

Chandi aims the gun turret at one of the gunboats and fires relentlessly.

12/17/2008 #21
Jave Harron

The driver and gunner of the targeted boat try to evade, but are unable to hit Chandi. She finds it is much easier to handle the weapon. Below, Clockroach is using his thaumokinetics to keep the craft steady as it accelerates. The pilot to the first boat is shot, the strange blue energy killing him fast. He falls dead as the boat runs aground.

The second boat, meanwhile, tries to flank Chandi using some thaumokinetic boosts of its own.

12/17/2008 #22
Cam S

Moros, feeling ineffectual, leans over to Model One.

"Cut our speed," he suggests, "I have an idea."

He puts a hand to the vials of pain in his bandolier, and moves towards the hatch, resting his shoulder on the forward wall of the watercraft.

12/17/2008 #23
Jave Harron

Model One cuts the speed, waiting for Moros to act.

12/18/2008 #24
Crownbreaker

"This is why we should not have done this," Geminos mutters. He moves up and buds off several flying eyeballs. He sends them out of the boat and continues to mutate them. One he keeps as a simple eye, while he converts another into a vehicle for bacteria, and the last into a volatile sack ready to explode.

12/18/2008 #25
Cam S

Moros opens the hatch before grabbing onto it for dear life, and dangling out over the water. Reaching down, he touched the vials before touching the water--a flash of light, and most of the pain was gone.

"Protect us--destroy our pursuers!" he commanded in an authoritative tone.

The watercraft buckled upward slightly as something massive and liquid moved beneath it--the water behind it becoming a confusion of long, thin tentacles made of water and elastic enough to gum up turbines.

"Before we get moving, could someone help me back in?" he called, "I appear to have overextended myself, and can't get any leverage."

12/19/2008 #26
Crownbreaker

Geminos climbs up and pulls Moros back in inside. "Good job," he says.

"You know," he says. "I don't think we're going to get the job the librarians gave us done. With the picking a fight with the government."

12/19/2008 #27
Cam S

"I'm not losing sleep over it," Moros admits, "though I don't remember the last time I slept, honestly."

12/19/2008 #28
Crownbreaker

"Just before boarding the Archon, if you count passing out as sleeping." Geminos says.

He has the eye biomorphs adhere to the craft so they don't get left behind when they speed up again.

"Where are we going?" Geminos asks the construct.

12/19/2008 #29
Jave Harron

"Haven," Model One replies. "We'll be there in a few hours. You have deployed thaumaturgy I am unfamiliar with. If one of you could provide us with stealth, then the others could rest."

"How can we do that?" Ades/Oro asks.

"The State uses a device that sends out sound waves and reflects them. If we had some way of interfering with those waves, we'd be invisible to them," Model One states.

Clockroach recalls its ability to use resonance. He does not need to sleep, so he could use resonance and man the gun turret while the others rest.

12/19/2008 #30
Page 1 2 Next »
Forum Moderators: Jave Harron Monev11235, dreamshell
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member