The Roadhouse
It's simple. Come in here, get reviews, read good stories, meet interesting people. What's not to love? Open to all. Rock and roll.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
mingsquared

So for my next project, I'm planning to do a wuxia story. If you're unfamiliar with wuxia novels, they're all pretty long. The one I'm reading right now has 26 parts and over a hundred chapters. For my story, I have the plot broken down into 10 parts, but I'm not sure how many chapters that's going to be (more 50 most likely). So my question is: is it better to just keep the story going (make one story), or break it down and post it in parts (for example 5 different stories that follows one another).

Your advice and help would be greatly appreciated. :)

7/10/2012 #1
Carson Numetzky

Stories with a lot of chapter (like 30ish) can be intimidating to some readers, so maybe if you put it in parts then it might be more appealing to the reader. Just my opinion though.

7/26/2012 #2
Baird

Well, this one depends really on the audience you're after. Generally speaking the more literate and mature readers like long stories, whereas the majority of teens and children prefer short stories (Things like Harry Potter being an exception). I suggest probably writing it all as one book at first and if you get to a point where it would make sense to end one book and start another then you could always decide to separate it at that time. I personnally don't like books which don't end in a way that you couldn't just finish at that story (I didn't like Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince as it ended on a cliffhanger and didn't wrap up the story...I always think books in a series should be able to stand alone, but of course that's just my opinion).

Well, basically my suggestion is just to write it as a continuous book, you can always go back and edit it later after all.

7/31/2012 . Edited 8/30/2012 #3
Kay Iscah

I've seen chapter lengths vary from 300 words to 50,000 words, so I might make this decision based more on word count than chapter count. Online it's less important, but when you get into print decisions like this have something to do with printing costs. Lord of the Rings was originally one book that the publisher had Tolkien break up to be more sellable.

I'd be inclined to write the story or most of the story and see what kind of length you're getting per part. If each of these 10 parts is 100,000 words, then yeah, I'd break it up into multiple books/novels. If these chapters you envision are only 1,000 words long, then 50 of them actually makes for a short novel.

12/19/2012 #4
Forum Moderators: Dolvich Mi.Ishi
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member