The Roadhouse
It's simple. Come in here, get reviews, read good stories, meet interesting people. What's not to love? Open to all. Rock and roll.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Mi.Ishi

Hey everyone!

Who is participating in NaNoWriMo this year? I figure we can have another support group to get us all in the mindset for it and start getting the creative juices flowing!

I realized that it's been two years since I attempted it last. Yes, I tried the RHWriMo's, but this is on a whole other level!

10/7/2012 #1
Mi.Ishi

The thing is, I have no idea what to write this year. I feel like I should almost just go into it blind and just write my buns off.

10/7/2012 #2
Anihyr Moonstar

I intend to participate, definitely. :) My problem is I have yet to decide for sure which of the multiple stories I have bouncing around to pin down and work on, but I think I know which one I'll go for, so it's mostly a matter of waiting.

How much have you planned for it in the past? Did you ever succeed? Do you think planning is a good idea? (I've never attempted before, but I have high hopes and I have been hammering down a rough outline.)

10/9/2012 #3
InkedGirl

Same with me. I have so many ideas. I only have one that is really fully fleshed out but I'm not fully convinced that it's the one that I really want to spend all of November working on.

Last year I did a basic plot summary and worked on character descriptions beforehand. I also had a few ideas for scenes and conflicts in my head. I would have an idea of where I wanted to end up once I finished a chapter, but that was it. Little planning to none was what made it fun for me. I had no idea where my ideas were going. My plot eventually connected itself rather easily (thank God).

And I did end up winning. Yay!

I think complete outlines are a bit too constricting but rough plot points are great (just from experience). It's what I'm planning on doing this year.

Now just to decide on an idea....

Are you guys branching out into new categories/genres this year? I know I plan on doing a twist on high school fantasy/paranormal which is something I haven't really done yet.

10/9/2012 #4
Mi.Ishi

@Moonstar In the past, I didn't plan too much. I kinda created an idea and just went with it. As I thought about it, I'd get more ideas, and then

My issue this year is I don't even have an idea! This is the first year I didn't have one.

I've never won though, so I have no idea how much planning is a good idea.

@Inked Oh, but that's a good idea to figure out how to write it. I've heard that planning slightly is good, but I didn't really know what the meant.

I was thinking about branching out (I always write something based around a romance) but then I figured since I've never finished a novel, I shouldn't try doing something different. Like, I was inspired to do a story based on three teens living on the street and the life they lead as they grow up....but I decided I couldn't handle that this time around.

10/9/2012 #5
KShade

Stupid question. What is NaNoWriMo

10/11/2012 #6
InkedGirl

It's National Novel Writing Month which takes place in November. The stated goal is to reach 50,000 words by the end of the month.

There's a site too for it, just give a go in Google. It's really a cool time and it forces you to write without having your inner critic slow you down. It's about quantity, not necessarily quality, but it does give you something to start with at the end of the month, if not a finished first draft.

10/11/2012 #7
Vivace.Assai

I really want to participate, but I'm currently debating whether I should do it or not. I first tried NaNoWriMo last year and it was what got me motivated into writing again, so I love it... But I might be too busy this year and I don't know what I would do. I've been thinking about completely rewriting a story I've started several times before, so I could do that... but I'm not too certain.

Should I participate?

10/12/2012 #8
Anihyr Moonstar
Should I participate?

Definitely. Join us! :D Even if you don't win, it'll be a good kick off, and even very busy schedules can allow some time to squeeze into writing. It'll encourage you regardless, and it might just give you the inspiration you need to plow through whatever you decide to work on.

10/14/2012 #9
Vivace.Assai

Well I have been lagging behind in my writing, and NaNoWriMo will definitely get me back into writing (and knowing how to manage time again). So I think I'll do it this year! :)

10/14/2012 #10
Mi.Ishi

It's definitely a great way to kickstart your writing progress!

How are people doing, as far as planning goes? It kinda sucks you have to wait so long to even begin writing (if you don't want to cheat) when you're just itching to start putting down all your ideas!

10/15/2012 #11
Vivace.Assai

It is kind of frustrating, and now that I've decided to do it, I'm just really excited for when November comes around so I can start writing...

Mostly for planning, I'm just fleshing out the characters better so they can be consistent... I definitely need to work more on characters though, since I have a lot in the story I'm planning. I have my general plot outline figured out (I've had it for about several months now), so hopefully this is all I need to begin this adventure in NaNoWriMo... Hopefully...

10/15/2012 #12
Mi.Ishi

What are you writing about?

10/15/2012 #13
Vivace.Assai

It's the fourth novel in a series I've been working on for some time (my NaNoWriMo last year was the third novel). However, with the fourth novel, I'm basically making massive changes in direction because I'm unsatisfied with what I was doing with my first three. Basically, it follows a young lord who is traveling to find a cure for his adoptive brother. During his travels, he meets the Group, an organization of detectives. Initially, he tries to avoid them, but a past crime related to the Group forces him to investigate into the Group's members and its current, secretive mission.

10/15/2012 #14
Mi.Ishi

If you're unhappy with the first three, why don't you rewrite one of those instead?

10/15/2012 #15
Mi.Ishi

I think that's what I'm going to do, is just rewrite one of the stories I've started but am just not happy with/stuck in rut over.

10/15/2012 #16
Vivace.Assai

It's mostly because I really want to work on this fourth novel (it's been bothering me since spring started asking to be written). Plus, I can't think of any major changes to fix the first three stories right now, and I've found that I actually get ideas for older novels in the series when I work on the newer ones... I think, it just helps me realize better where I was going with my direction.

10/15/2012 #17
Vivace.Assai

I'll definitely go back to the first three though. Those will probably be my future NaNoWriMos for the next few years.

10/15/2012 #18
AmiHart

I would like to try and participate this year (first timer). Even though I should be editing my Fantasy manuscript, I really should (it needs serious work)...But I really want to write the sequel, soooo bad!!! Oh I'm torn. This is the perfect opportunity to go hard out and just do it! So count me in :). I guess it's only for a month and 'what dreams may come' as a result;)

10/17/2012 #19
Highway Unicorn

Hello! :D

I'm a first timer for Nano, and I'm so freaking excited for it! :D It's just so motivating, and I just want to start writing out my story, but I can't. X'( But I can't wait to read what you guys are going to write! Here's a early GOOD LUCK to y'all! :DDDDD

10/18/2012 #20
Facella

I'll try to participate. This is my first year and I've had this story floating around in my head for months now. I actually have quite a few scenes in my head already. My biggest problem is that I usually don't like what I'm writing down. In my head it sounds great, on paper somehow not so much. But I already told a friend about my plans and she promised to stop me from deleting everything when I get frustrated.

Now I just need to decide on a language. I'm fluent in English, but my mother tongue is German. The story is currently in German for the most part, but I sometimes have trouble expressing myself. On the other hand, since English isn't my mother tongue, I sometimes have to look up more exotic words and that would really bug me. But then again, if I do write in English, a lot more people could read it. I don't really have that many people I'd like to share it with in German...

10/20/2012 #21
Emelinee Baconinee Tortalinee
The first time I heard about NaNoWriMo, it was 2010 and I was so excited about taking part- for some reason, though, after preparing for five months, I never did it. I badly want to take part this year, but I honestly don't think I have the time. I've got more time in this school year, but all that time is taken up by homework- are there any alternative times to do NaNoWriMo, or does it have to be in November?
10/21/2012 #22
Vivace.Assai

There is also a Camp NaNoWriMo, which takes place during two months in the summer (you can choose whichever month works better for you). Or you can choose one month, which works best for you, and try it out by yourself; it just won't feel as fun without they hype or support from other participants.

10/21/2012 #23
Mi.Ishi

How are people's NaNo's going?

11/5/2012 #24
AmiHart

6 days in, and just hit 17000 words :) so it's going swimmingly right now - long may this writing streak last!

11/5/2012 #25
Mi.Ishi

That's unreal. So jealous! I couldn't even get started until Sunday since I had no idea what to write!!

11/5/2012 #26
AmiHart

I have plenty of time on my hands and I have been planning this novel for ages. Also it's a sequel, so I don't have to make everything up from scratch. I guess that's why I have been able to get into it so quickly. Planning planning and more planning! That being said my unruly characters still manage to run amok and throw a creative spanner in the works every now and then. ) How so easily it could unravel before my eyes Lol.

Don't worry, keep at it, one word after another. It's only the first week, there's plenty of time. You can do it! :)

11/5/2012 #27
jessnutsss

I just can't seem to find time to write! But hopefully once Uni ends next week I'll be able to catch up! How is everyone going? Jess here btw :)

11/7/2012 #28
Kay Iscah

Late to the party, but I used NaNoWriMo to finish a current project this year. I appreciate the exercise of NaNo, but I think it's better to write 10,000 really good words than 50,000 words of nonsense. Not that all NaNo projects come out nonsense...but the point first time around is getting writing...if you're already writing, it's time to write better.

12/19/2012 #29
Forum Moderators: Dolvich Mi.Ishi
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member