The Roadhouse
It's simple. Come in here, get reviews, read good stories, meet interesting people. What's not to love? Open to all. Rock and roll.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
VengefulPeanut

Okay, so I'm currently writing my own novel and it is well on its way to completion. I was considering posting the first 3 chapters as they are pretty much the opening chapters to the plot at large. I'm just curious as to whether you guys think this is worth it and if I would get some decent reviews. I'm new here so I don't know how a lot of this works. :) haha

2/15/2013 #1
Kay Iscah

Worth it depends on what you want to accomplish. If you write purely for the pleasure of it, then FP is a great place to share your work. And it's also a good place to hone your writing skills.

Personally I don't post anything I plan to sell on the internet until it's in sellable form. I use FP for short and supplemental works (don't have the patience to try to sell short stories).

If you just want to share your story with people, it's a great place and review exchanges are worth the effort.

If you're planning to only post three chapters, I'd note that at the beginning and call it a teaser.

2/15/2013 #2
Carolina Martinez

Yeah, go ahead and post! I was new for a while too. You will probably get some reviews, and try to review other stories to get reviews for yourself, unless that story has way too many reviews for the author to reply to. That's what I did, and after a while you should get more and more reviews. That's what I learned from my experience.

2/15/2013 #3
VengefulPeanut

I write purely for pleasure. I came up with the idea for my story like 2 years ago and since then I have just being creating the world it is set in and ideas for plotlines, etc. I have currently written 8 chapters out of the 12 planned chapters so it should be finished soon. I think I will upload the first 3 chapters but I am going to strive to see if I could get the complete thing published. :) Thank you for the feedback, it's much appreciated.

2/16/2013 #4
VengefulPeanut

I have developed ideas on a sequel also and just uploaded an extract. I just want to get a response from people on whether my writing style is good enough and my story-telling skills are suitable - I'm really self conscious about my writing haha

http://www.fictionpress.com/s/3101418/1/Chapters-of-Mayana-The-Demon-Throne

2/16/2013 . Edited 2/16/2013 #5
Kay Iscah

If you write for pleasure, write what pleases you. It's very unlikely anyone's going to tell you not to pursue any story, though they may give you ideas on improving it.

I'll second what the first reviewer said. It would help if you broke up the paragraphs. Particularly when you switch speakers.

2/16/2013 #6
VengefulPeanut

Yeah, I was going to apologise about that in the description but ran out of characters. I'm currently away and without microsoft word so I did my writing on notepad which made it especially difficult to format easily. I'm new to the website also so I was unsure how to edit correctly on here. When I upload the actual 3 chapters of the developed and rigorously edited novel sometime tomorrow you should hopefully see some improvements. Thank you for taking the time to read my work however. At the moment, the idea I have written about is a story idea I am considering developing as a sequel.

2/16/2013 #7
VengefulPeanut

Hi Kay, I need your help. There has been a misunderstanding on my extract as I forgot to clearly detail that it was an extract from Chapter 3 in the story. How would I go about letting people know this is an extract from further in the story? Regarding your review however, I would just like to clear up the character roles are established prior to this chapter. For example, Maya is described in the prologue and Eahren is explained in chapter 1. Eahren wasn't an assassin prior to meeting Maya, his skills and talents as a Half Elf led him to be employed as such. It's a rich complicated storyline haha you would need to read the whole thing to understand everything. My concern was my writing style, I didn't want to bore the reader which it seems like I do. But as far as formatting and plotlines go, all that will be much better and the plot richer and more explained in the full version.

2/16/2013 #8
Kay Iscah

In that case, I'd really consider pulling it down for now and letting people read from the beginning. It's really hard to judge a story from a chunk in the middle.

It wasn't boring...a bit disjointed, but it's hard to tell how much of that comes from reading this starting in the middle. I think there is probably a better way to work some of explanations into the dialogue/action rather than reflective statements from Maya's PoV... I actually think simple declarations can work is some places... but that depends a lot on context.

Site wise: Click on your screen name, click on "Publish" and under publish choose "Manage Stories" that should let you edit and make changes. Got to "Doc Manager" if you want to edit the chapter itself. Also in Doc Manager, click edit/view by the file name. There's a button at the top that will let you insert a horizontal line. That will help a lot for scene breaks.

2/16/2013 #9
VengefulPeanut

Yeah, I pulled it down. I was just eager to get some feedback on my work, however my fully developed piece will most like be best for that. Thanks for the help by the way, I find it really hard to get used to new sites like this. Once I find my stride I should be fine.

2/16/2013 #10
Kay Iscah

I found another Forum you may find helpful. Taerkitty has assembled a set of FAQs to help Newbies to figure the site out.

About FictionPress: Peer Help for New Users

2/17/2013 #11
Forum Moderators: Dolvich Mi.Ishi
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member