Soul Discussion Forum
For any questions you may have on my story, "Soul".
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 Next »
sun tzu OM

This is a thread to tell you guys about the state of updates.

Concerning chapter 6: First of all, my apologies for how late I'm being with this. There was a variety of factors involved...The main one being that I have now become a Ph.D student, and this involved moving to my a new apartment, hundreds of miles away from where I used to live. So yeah.

That said, I want to get back into a faster schedule. I've already written most of chapter 6 (over 6000 words already), so despair not!

10/15/2008 #1
sun tzu OM

Well, I've finished my first draft of chapter 6, with over 8400 words. Sent it to a proofreader, and will hopefully be able to upload it soon.

10/19/2008 #2
sun tzu OM

With the 6th chapter posted, I've begun writing chapter 7 (emphasis on "begun". Less than 300 words so far).

Been working out some plot elements, in particular Chancell's plan. I mean, I knew his overall plan, but the immediate details eluded me.

As I said in the author's notes, growing dissatisfied with FictionPress, and looking for other possibilities. Truth be told, learning how to create my own website is looking more attractive every day (hey, it worked for "Sailor Nothing". Of course, I'd need to make a forum, probably a cast page...and then there's the issue of paying for hosting...)

As an aside...I'm a bit amused by the fact that, despite so many characters being intoruduced so far, so much of the MAIN CAST hasn't shown in the story yet.

11/13/2008 #3
sun tzu OM

700+ words. I will confess that Wrath of the Lich King somewhat slowed down my progress during the week-end. In my defense, I also spent some time on valuable research (i.e. watching "Pretty Cure").

Steel-Sama is a bit of a struggle to write. I noticed that with the previous chapter; I need to keep reminding myself "show, don't tell". It doesn't really do much good to say how everybody's afraid of her and considers her this bigshot Evil Genius - I need to show why they consider her a threat.

11/17/2008 #4
Shay Guy

"Princess, I'm afraid the tides won't allow us to bring the ship into port before nightfall."

"I'm sorry, Captain, but I do not know much about the tides. Can you explain something to me?"

"Of course." "Do the tides command this ship?"

"I'm afraid I don't understand."

"You said 'the tides would not allow us to bring the ship in.' Do the tides command this ship?"

"No, Princess."

"And if I were to have you thrown overboard, would the tides think twice about having you smashed against the rocky shore?"

"No, Princess."

"Well, then, maybe you should worry less about the tides, who've already made up their mind about killing you, and worry more about me, who's still mulling it over."

Well, maybe not in those exact terms.

11/19/2008 . Edited 11/19/2008 #5
sun tzu OM

That, or taking the Yakuza's money hostage. :P

11/19/2008 #6
CattyNebulart

As I said in the author's notes, growing dissatisfied with FictionPress, and looking for other possibilities. Truth be told, learning how to create my own website is looking more attractive every day (hey, it worked for "Sailor Nothing". Of course, I'd need to make a forum, probably a cast page...and then there's the issue of paying for hosting...)

There are other free hosts out there and I can think of a few places that would volunteer free hosting ( try http://www.florestica.com/ ).

Alternatively I will have moved in a few months and be able to host my own website again and I would be glad to provide hosting for you.

11/21/2008 #7
sun tzu OM

There are other free hosts out there and I can think of a few places that would volunteer free hosting ( try http://www.florestica.com/ ).

Hm. Interesting, though this particular one only seems to cater to fanfiction (and "Soul", while clearly inspired by the maho shojo genre, isn't fanfiction per se...)

Alternatively I will have moved in a few months and be able to host my own website again and I would be glad to provide hosting for you.Your ideas intrigue me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

On a different note, up to 1.4k words. Need to get used to writing this chapter's titular character. Was pleasantly half-surprised to discover that my story was in the "web originals" section of TVTropes' "Fanfic Recommendations".

11/26/2008 #8
sun tzu OM

Over 1.8k words.

11/27/2008 #9
sun tzu OM

Over 2.4k words.

Funny thing, there are scenes in my head that I've got developed or half-developed even though they're dozens of chapters away, not even part of the first arc.

12/8/2008 #10
sun tzu OM

3200 words.

12/13/2008 #11
CattyNebulart

Alternatively I will have moved in a few months and be able to host my own website again and I would be glad to provide hosting for you.

Your ideas intrigue me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

I'll keep you informed but I do mean a few months, the earliest that it would be possible is in February but it is likely to be later. On the other hand it should be up before May, but that is a long time away.

Hm. Interesting, though this particular one only seems to cater to fanfiction (and "Soul", while clearly inspired by the maho shojo genre, isn't fanfiction per se...)

Florestica also hosts some original fiction, and I'm sure the host would not mind. It can't hurt to ask.

Glad to see that we should have an update sometime soonish.

12/15/2008 #12
sun tzu OM

I'll keep you informed but I do mean a few months, the earliest that it would be possible is in February but it is likely to be later. On the other hand it should be up before May, but that is a long time away.

Well, I am going to be checking other options too. ;-)

Oh, and...4156 words.

12/18/2008 #13
sun tzu OM

5565 words. Some of the harder scenes to write, for me, are those that don't actually deal with "Soul" and her foes directly. Everyday life and discussion can be more challenging to write than the whole magical girl/superheroine biz.

12/25/2008 #14
sun tzu OM

6281 words.

12/26/2008 #15
sun tzu OM

Over 7.3k words. Chapter sent to proofreader, waiting for input before uploading.

12/30/2008 #16
sun tzu OM

With chapter 7 online, I am faced with two objectives: Chapter 8, and a website of my own.

I've bought hosting and a domain name with 1and1. Unfortunately, all of my attempts so far to create a website with them have resulted in my soul being broken.

As for chapter 8...I have big plans for it. To be honest, I was a tad dissatisfied with chapter 7. It felt a bit like filler. Chapter 8 will hopefully correct that, with a heaping dose of action, Hyosuke, and more!

If website creation doesn't drive me insane first.

1/5/2009 #17
Shay Guy

What do you have so far? I've done some experimenting with HTML, I might be able to help.

1/5/2009 #18
sun tzu OM

So far, I've tried using their TopSite Express application to design the website. It absolutely insists on using pre-existing page models, preventing me from getting read of a logos I do not want and structures that don't interest me. I'm trying to find out how to avoid using their own applications for web design, and upload my own HTML code (not that I know any HTML, mind you).

1/5/2009 #19
CattyNebulart

You should have a ftp account where you can upload html pages. HTML is easy to learn it should only take half an hour or so for the basics, CSS is harder, mostly because IE is badly broken even after microsofts assurances that it would be fixed.

You would probably be better of writing a script that transforms what you are writing in into HTML, it will save you work in the long run.

1/5/2009 #20
sun tzu OM

A friend of mine has reccomended WordPress, and I intend to look into it... But being able to design a website won't do me much good if I can't upload it to the domain I got.

1/6/2009 #21
Shay Guy

WordPress is blogging software, though, not really optimized for stories.

1/6/2009 #22
sun tzu OM

Well, if you have better suggestions...

1/7/2009 #23
Shay Guy

I've got something really basic worked up, though the colors and such are probably going to need a lot of tinkering. I'll PM the HTML to you.

1/7/2009 #24
sun tzu OM

...Huh. Thanks, I appreciate this.

1/7/2009 #25
Shay Guy

Well, problem with my current design is that not only is the table of contents going to have to be manually edited with each new chapter, so are all the other chapters. I guess the chapter list in the sidebar can be dropped...

1/10/2009 #26
sun tzu OM

Sorry for the prolonged silence - was sick all week. Still have a bit of a cough, but the worst's long passed - on the first fevered night, there were moments when I was genuinely worried that our world was being invaded by the Warhammer 40000 universe, and my mind was being assaulted by Chaos. No, really.

Been getting more active at my RPG club, both with Mutants&Masterminds and Exalted. This has led me to idly ponder about conversions of the Soul setting...It doesn't translate perfectly, but I guess Downfall would be a 1st Circle demon, the Elysians would be the Dragon-Blooded, Steel-Sama would be the Guild, and the fairies would be the Siderals. Eriko would be an Ayssal, and that's all I'm going to say about it. :P

The quest for a website progresses at a slow pace. I've finally decided to give up on 1and1, and screw the money I've lost on them. There are other web hosts in the world, and I'm sure at least one of them lets me use HTML code directly without using a website designer that makes me cry whenever I click on it. The only problem is that I've registered the domain name I want to use through 1and1, so I'm trying to find a way to make them free it. Once that is done, I'll need to find a web host that's simple to use (suggestions?), and upload the HTML code (thanks again for the help there, Shay).

Writing-wise, it's probably time for me to tackle chapter 8.

1/17/2009 #27
Shay Guy

Still gonna need the raw HTML or whatever you have for the proper chapter text, along with the other pages you suggested. Though if you think you're up to the task, feel free to add it in yourself.

1/17/2009 #28
sun tzu OM

567 words in.

1/18/2009 #29
sun tzu OM
1262 words.
1/19/2009 #30
Page 1 2 Next »
Forum Moderators: sun tzu OM
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member