King Arthur and Assosiates
For anything about anyone in the Legends of King Arthur
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Edalene Athene

Friend, or traitor? Discuss anything to do with Lancelot.

7/14/2008 #1
TheLadyPendragon

I think that Lancelot never meant to harm his liege, but he was blinded by love for Guinevere. It's just my opinion, but I think he was somewhat of an idealistic fool. In most adaptations, he tries to follow the code of chivalry to a 't', other than his adultery with Guinevere, but he doesn't stop to consider what may or may not be practical. For example, as dictated by the code of chivalry he'd most likely release some terrible person into the world, no matter how bad they were, if they only begged for mercy. So, while I don't think he's necessarily a bad person, I was happy when he got his a** handed to him by Galahad --- pardon my language. I prefer Gawain as the perfect knight over him, though he did best Gawain near the end of Arthur's life. However, I don't really like seeing him as a bad guy, like in Knight Life by Peter David, where he was a deadbeat, abusive boyfriend to Gwen (the reincarnation of Guinevere.) I think he can often be an unintentional villain, but he doesn't have his heart in it.

8/29/2009 #2
Forum Moderators: Edalene Athene
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member