Horror Haven
I'd like to be introduced to more horror stories. Post & share you're stories and talk about what inspired you to create them. George Romero, Brian Yuzna, etc. you know the drill. All holds no bar!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Ronnie Knight

I created this forum solely for meeting other horror mavens and their take on horror. The songs, movies, basically any media that helps us relay information to each other. It's the internet what can't it not do? Tell me, horror manga, those issues of Fangoria you got lying around the house, under your bed, the coffee table. What about the horror novelists, Stephen King to name one... the junk nightmares are made of.

Who there? You there! The macabre is screaming in our ears every day! The horror genre's social commentary can be just as good as any o other, we can come together as a society during a made up apocalypse! We don't have to use murdering virgins in a camp ground setting to make thrills anymore. Vampires, cannabilisam, re-animating corpses, Voodoo, do I have any takers!

Tell me how you did it and why! Did anyone read Stephen King's 'Cell', hell do you think he's overrated? Opinions are very welcomed as long as no flames, and or torches, devours, the other user's soul!

No, Cujo bad boy!

Silent films, Nosferatu, Lon Chaney etc. I'm giving you ideas right?

Tim Burton is excellent by far! Italians created damn good horror flicks and the guys they hired them with their music!

"Goblin" anyone? Dario Argento and The Goblins? Theres more, but I want you to tell me.

Vincent Price, Boris Karloff, etc.

So tell me what floats you're boat?

6/26/2008 #1
SinfulWolf

I quite enjoyed F. Paul Wilson's series of six horror novels. The first three (The Keep, the Tomb, The Touch) all seemed so disjointed but were all so good at the same time. Then came the last three (Reborn, can't remember 5, and Nightworld) tied the entire series together with an apocalyptic and frightening climax. Good series, good author.

I actually thought Stephen King's 'Cell' was okay... until the end which ruined the entire book for me. Overall, not a big fan of King. I did like 'the Shining' however, but many of his other books I don't. I did enjoy the non-horror he wrote as Richard Bachman, but they don't inspire my horror ideas.

George A. Romero, and what Zack Snyder did with the 2004 version of Dawn of the Dead are both huge influences on me.

All I got for now.

12/25/2008 #2
Musa di Apollo

How come no one has mention C.S. Lewis? Jesus, the Shadow over Innsmouth was a masterpeice of horror. Any author who really wants to get in to there stories, should take a look at C.S. Lewis's work. It'll make you rethink a lot of things. XD

5/29/2009 #3
Cool Monsters

The Shadow Over Innsmouth was written by H.P. Lovecraft. C.S. Lewis wrote the Chronicles of Narnia and a science fiction trilogy.

10/14/2009 #4
WolfletteMoon

I'm not big on Stephen King, although I've never finished one of his books so I can't say. I did watch the film of the shining though, and that was good.

I must say, though, The best horror writers are by far James Herbert and Edgar Allen Poe. If you haven't read the rats yet I strongly suggest you do.

1/12/2010 #5
Corinna Tate

I've just started posting a King inspired story. I'm not really a fan of horror....well, that's a lie. I'm not a fan of obvious horror but I adore the internal horrors within us all. Death and dismemberment, monsters, and creeps are easy. What's more difficult to write is the humanity that makes it all believable. That's where King excels in my opinion.

After posting several stories on Fanfiction.net I feel very vulnerable to post something of my own on here.

5/5/2010 #6
Cool Monsters

What's sad is some of the real greats probably thought their work was appreciated by only a few eccentric fans and would be forgotten after their deaths. H. P. Lovecraft died in poverty at the age of 46. Robert E. Howard, creator of Conan, killed himself at the age of 30. They would be stunned to discover the popularity of Conan and Cthulhu today.

9/21/2010 #7
Dr. Shadow

There are some great horror authors in the world, and some future ones on this very website.

I think some of my favorite horror writers are Edgar Allen Poe, Stephen King, and Dean Koontz, whom I recently started to read. I am now known as the "little girl who buys Koontz's books" in the bookstore I get my horror stuff from.

There are also some pretty good books that I'm pretty sure fall under the horror category, such as Neal Shutterman's Unwind, The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold, What the Night Knows and 77 Shadow Street by Dean Koontz. Also, Dr. Franklin's Island, which I can't remember the author for, was a decent mix of the horror of human genetic experimentation and had good action scenes. (Not for sure if this fall directly under horror, though. Still, good book.) ((If anyone wants these book summaries, just ask :D))

6/23/2012 #8
Forum Moderators: Ronnie Knight
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member