Cynical Romantics
For those of us who write about love for fear that it's becoming nonexistent in the real world. Come chat, drink cybercoffee, discuss...
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
lovelybunchococonuts
I really bore of romances that constantly talk of beautiful Barbie heroines and rippling muscled, chiseled-chin heroes. I am looking for romances between people who either are described as ordinary looking, or overweight, or on the plain side, (or their looks aren't described at all!) so that the storyline is about the development of love rather than constant drivel about looks. I think its the whole Mary Sue thing that turns me off to these "beautiful people" stories, and I like reading about real, lasting love, and if they have romantic attraction, it's an "eye of the beholder" thing, just like in real life.
3/11/2012 #1
Deathhound7

On this site, or in general?

I haven't read anything on the site quite yet, I'm just browsing through, but I know what you mean. It's a problem in the romance genre in general. I can't say I recall ever reading anything at all that doesn't describe it's characters as ridiculously handsome, at least not anything with romance as it's main theme.

In any case, the only thing that really sticks out of my mind, is an anime called Toradora! The main protagonist is just a skinny teen, never described as particularly handsome, and actually tends to scare people because of the way his eyes look. The female is unusually short, and flat-chested. She's described as being pretty in the face, but that's pretty much it.

11/27/2012 . Edited 11/27/2012 #2
Music.Sets.Me.Free

I think that most of the stories are written by girls who wish they looked beautiful, so therefore they make their characters beautiful, so they can live their life through their characters. Sounds crazy, but that's what I think. Most of the characters are beautiful...

In MY story, the girls looks are never really mentioned. She's never told that she's pretty, so we kinda assume that she's not. Sure, she's the daughter of a model, but she said that she feels inferior in looks beside her mother. Check it out? "Ballad of Mona Lisa"

I'm trying to think of a few other stories, that i've read...http://www.fictionpress.com/s/2232281/1/None-Other-Than it's pretty fun to read and the main girl is awesome

and my all time favorite, completely non-barbie character is http://www.fictionpress.com/s/2935206/1/Hero-Complex

11/28/2012 #3
Deathhound7

Some of the stories I read were the complete opposite, they were wish fullfillment stories where the character of the opposite sex of the writer was this perfect person. I read a cheesy action-romance series that I borrowed from my sister, every book was basically th same story. The guy was some immortal who looked thirty, once had kids, and suffered some sort of tragic brutality in their distant past. They were always beefy. smdh.

The same series was overly descriptive of sex. I don't ming reading about sex, I especially like the suspence behind whether or not it's going to go down or not. This, however, was ten pages of boring text p***.

11/29/2012 #4
Fizzy Bath Bomb

hmm well, have you ever read angus, thongs and full frontal snogging?? It's really funny and the main girl isn't ever really described as attractive in fact she's always complaining about her looks! it's a book and it's the first in a fantastic series and it's by Louise Rennison.

good luck!

fizzy x

8/23/2013 #5
Poppy471

I get very tired of pretty characters. I usually give my own characters either the briefest description (blonde hair, or long legs, or curly hair) or no description at all. I do talk about their clothes though. You are born looking the way you look, but your clothes are an expression of who you are, who you want to be, who you think you are.

Another thing that bothers me is when people don't have normal names like Chuck or Diane... they are always Morgan or Forrest or Athena or Carrick or Keeley. I don't bother reading those.

9/28/2013 #6
Poppy471

double post, oops.

9/28/2013 . Edited 9/28/2013 #7
Forum Moderators: Joyful Girl in the Mirror
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member