The Bard's Corner
Discuss poetry of every genre here
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Midnight In Eden
I figured this forum should maybe have another topic :p

Anyone else a fan of the Beat generation of poetry? Ginsberg is my favourite at the moment since I heard one of his live recordings of Howl and America. Fantastic voice for perfomance poetry.

1/12/2007 #1
ronshaberry
I've heard of beat poetry, but have not every actually heard any or anything. Would you care to explain it to me and maybe suggest a few starters.. such as where to learn more about it or get more exposure to it... things like that?
2/3/2007 #2
Midnight In Eden
For starters depending on whether you like prose or poetry, Kerouac was a Beat Poet and his "On the Road" is a great starting point and probably one of the most famous and significant works from the Beat generation.

It's hard to define it but it was basically started by Kerouac as a term to describe his friends and fellow writers around the fifties and early sixties. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beat_poets That is a very helpful link.

I'd really have to recommend reading "Howl" and "America" by Ginsberg. "Howl" is pretty famous but I like "America" more, it just feels perfect to me. I'm currently dissecting his poetry at the moment and loving it.

Burroughs was a big deal part of it all but I'm not his biggest fan.

Hopefully that was helpful :p

2/3/2007 #3
ronshaberry
Thanks for the info. :) Oh! Jack Kerouac, right? Yeh... I should definitely check this out. I'm sadly, not well-read in poetry. Bad, bad me! So I'll look at some beat poetry and come back to this. :D
2/3/2007 #4
callmebrighteyes

I'm a total beat poetry noob, but the concept fascinates me :)

9/15/2009 #5
Forum Moderators: Andaren
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member