Regency RPG
Does Jane Austen mean more to you than just an author? Does the mention of "Pride and Predjudice", "Persuasion" or "Sense and Sensibility" make you think of beautiful dresses and handsome men? Here, you can RP your own regency characters. Have fun!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 .. Last Next »
DaCivilWarBear

"Well, I..." Helen bit her lip. "A plain gown would serve best. I know of no places to get a plain gown in London."

6/30/2009 #241
SnowClaw of Windclan

"Hmm..." He thought for a moment-or supposedly did- before letting her hair down with a quick removal of the pins that held it up. "There. Live a little bit."

6/30/2009 #242
DaCivilWarBear

Helen gasped and quickly pulled her yellow curls back. A decent sort of woman never let anyone see her hair loose! "Sir!" she exclaimed, finding the decorative clasps that were still in her hair, and carefully doing the best she could to pin back some of her locks. "You seem intent upon making me the shame of my father!"

6/30/2009 #243
SnowClaw of Windclan

"Hush. See? No pain, no pain. And don't get any ideas about what I may be thinking, because I am a highwayman and am decent. It's just everyone else. But think: Who would think that you would wear your hair down if you came from wealth? Nobody. So they will think it's somebody that just happens to look liek you."

6/30/2009 #244
DaCivilWarBear

Helen knew he was right, and that she should listen, but it still took her a few minutes before she grudgingly put her hands down and let her hair spill down her back and shoulders. It was just like being at home with Mary before she had wed, she tried to tell herself.

"And what of my dress?" she asked finally. "It shall give me away if I wear it."

6/30/2009 #245
SnowClaw of Windclan

"Modify it. Take off the sleeves or something."

6/30/2009 #246
DaCivilWarBear

Helen looked down. She could tear off the embroidered tulle that draped over the dress, but it was such a waste...

Then she saw the little country farmhouse nearby. Perhaps..."I have an idea," she said, and held out her hand for Juan to help her down from the horse.

6/30/2009 #247
SnowClaw of Windclan

He complied, helped her down.

6/30/2009 #248
DaCivilWarBear

Helen looked at the farmhouse. "If there is no one inside," she said slowly, "perhaps they won't mind if I borrow a gown from the lady of the house. I will leave this gown for her in its place. What do you think?"

She looked up at Juan, earnestly seeking his approval.

6/30/2009 #249
SnowClaw of Windclan

"I have no problem with it. But then again, I didn't have a problem with any of these, either." There was a clinking sound like a dinner hall during a toast as he raised gold covered wrists.

6/30/2009 #250
DaCivilWarBear

Helen nodded. "Very well, then. You stay here. I shall be but a moment."

The thought briefly occurred to her how odd it was that she, a lady, was telling a highwayman to hold the horse while she went to effectively steal from poor country folk. But she knew her gown would fetch a pretty penny, and pay for many more than the one gown she intended to take.

When she reached the front door, she knocked politely. No one answered. So she lifted the latch and stepped in - it was a typical country home, bright but a little dirty - and then tiptoed upstairs. Sure enough, there was a bedroom with a wardrobe, and within, several plain day dresses. She chose the shortest one, a green muslin, and a shift, and quickly changed into it, leaving her ball gown spread out neatly on the bed. A piece of paper was being used to chink the window, and she wrote on it with a pencil stub she found in a Bible nearby:

Dear lady,

I am sorry for breaking into your house like this, but I was in need of a dress. I took the green muslin and a linen shift. I hope this dress will make up for it.

You have lovely taste in clothes.

- A passing stranger

She put this note atop the gown, then tiptoed back down the stairs, her stockinged feet making no sound on the wood.

6/30/2009 #251
SnowClaw of Windclan

"You ready yet?" He asked, raising a brow.

6/30/2009 #252
DaCivilWarBear

Helen hurried across the road. "Yes. But I must say, you promised me shoes." She showed him her feet.

6/30/2009 #253
SnowClaw of Windclan

He silently produced a pair of finely laced walking boots, they had obviously come from a boutique, whether paid for or not.

6/30/2009 #254
DaCivilWarBear

Helen took them gratefully, watching him with her eyes wide, and bent down to put them on. They were a bit too big, but she laced them tightly and decided they would do. "Thank you."

6/30/2009 #255
SnowClaw of Windclan

"It was no problem." He nodded briefly, and then helped her get up again. "So, to London, I say?"

6/30/2009 #256
DaCivilWarBear

"Yes, before someone realizes their dress is gone," Helen said wryly, a bit more comfortable now that her arms were covered. "But do let's hurry - it's getting towards evening."

6/30/2009 #257
SnowClaw of Windclan

"Alright then." They headed down the city streets on horseback, getting quite a few odd stares as they rode by. "Anything here you like, can be yours very easily."

6/30/2009 #258
DaCivilWarBear

"You seem to forget," Helen said with a gentle laugh, "that my father is well to do."

6/30/2009 #259
SnowClaw of Windclan

"Oh, of course I haven't forgotten. But there is a such thing as a gift, Helen."

6/30/2009 #260
DaCivilWarBear

"Well, that's very kind of you," Helen said. "You needn't do that. You already got me these lovely shoes."

6/30/2009 #261
SnowClaw of Windclan

"but I do it because you are a friend, Helen."

6/30/2009 #262
DaCivilWarBear

"A friend, hm?" she said. "I thought I was just a hostage."

6/30/2009 #263
SnowClaw of Windclan

Despite himself he felt the blood rushing to his face, although it hardly showed because of his dark tawny complexion. "No, no, you're a friend."

7/1/2009 #264
DaCivilWarBear

"Well, I'm flattered," Helen said out loud. Privately, she hoped Juan wouldn't turn into the frighteningly fervent "friend" that her last highwayman had.

7/1/2009 #265
SnowClaw of Windclan

He nodded. "Don't pay attention to their stares."

7/1/2009 #266
DaCivilWarBear

"What stares?" Helen took the time to look at her surroundings. "...Oh." Indeed, people were staring quite openly, and she knew it was because of her hair. If she had just thought to take one of the farmwife's linen caps!

7/1/2009 #267
SnowClaw of Windclan

"Well, if it makes any difference, I don't think you look that bad."

7/1/2009 #268
DaCivilWarBear

"Well, thank you," Helen said dryly, "but I think it is the fact that my hair is loose and I am sharing a horse with a man."

7/1/2009 #269
SnowClaw of Windclan

He smiled. "Yeah, that might have something to do with it."

7/1/2009 #270
« Prev Page 1 .. 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Tatianolishka DaCivilWarBear
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member