WWI RPG
A roleplay for the first World War.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Star the Foxhound

Located not far from the base, the hospital consists of a few rooms lined with cots for the injured men and a place in the back where the nurses and doctors can stay if they don't live nearby.

5/22/2010 #1
SnowClaw of Windclan

Alice Cross sat on the edge of her cot with one foot tucked beneath her as the other nurses slept. Soon, they'll wake up... Dipping her fountain pen into the communal inkwell, she looked down at the hard bound book resting open in her lap and started to write. Alice paused, suspending the tip over her paper when she heard footsteps shuffling behind the curtains that sectioned off the nurses' quarters. After a few minutes they started to fade, as if indicating distance. Only a doctor. After writing a few final words, Alice awaited the drying of the ink, closed the book, and slid it back under her pillow.

5/24/2010 . Edited 5/24/2010 #2
Star the Foxhound

Opening her eyes, Virginia, often known as Ginny by her friends, woke up and rolled over onto her stomach on the cot that had become her home since she'd gotten to France. Like she did most mornings, she stayed in that position for a moment, most of the other nurses still asleep. Virginia was an early raiser most days.

5/25/2010 #3
SnowClaw of Windclan

"Good morning, Ginny." Alice bent down to pick up her shoes and crossed her legs as she put each on. Tying her vivid red hair in a loose bun, she turned her head to look at the younger girl across the room. "Did you sleep alright?" Yawning, Alice put a hand over her mouth. She stood up and walked to the full length mirror in the corner of the room, straightening her uniform and doing a little turn. They'll probably think that I went to sleep in it. She had really only been in the nurses' quarters for an hour or so, because she had spent all night helping the doctors in the O.R.

5/25/2010 #4
Star the Foxhound

Virginia nodded, watching her as she sat up on the cot and swung her legs over the side before standing up and walking over to where Alice was by the mirror, running her fingers through her brown hair to work out some of the tangles. "Yes, I slept alright," she said, looking over at Alice for a moment. "Did you sleep in your uniform?"

She wasn't wearing her uniform yet herself, wearing instead a lose fitting green dress that fell just past her knees. It was what she usually slept in.

5/25/2010 #5
SnowClaw of Windclan

"I did." Alice walked towards the olive drab curtain that separated the nurses' quarters from the wounded and pulled it to the side, passing by a wooden chest with extra blankets in it. "I'm going to go help the doctors working in Post Op. Would you mind meeting me after you finish your breakfast?"

5/25/2010 . Edited 5/25/2010 #6
Star the Foxhound

"Sure." Virginia ran her hand through her hair a few more times and grabbed her uniform, getting changed before she left the area and went to get breakfast. As she was eating, she had half a mind to take the short walk over to the base to see her brother, but knew that she had a job to do. She couldn't help the war by running over to the base all the time, although that didn't usually stop her from going over there when she had a free moment.

5/25/2010 #7
SnowClaw of Windclan

After splitting up, Alice walked across the base and opened the door to Post Op. Choosing the man in the cot nearest to the door as her first patient, the nurse held the metal clipboard on the foot of his bed in one hand and looked it over. "Hello, my name is Alice. Are your eyes doing any better?"

5/25/2010 #8
Star the Foxhound

When she finished eating her breakfast, Virginia came back to the ward of the hospital and found Alice beside one of the beds. She smiled faintly and headed over in that direction, pausing a few feet away, and glancing at the man for a moment before looking back towards Alice. "Is he doing any better?" She asked, not knowing what else to say.

5/25/2010 #9
SnowClaw of Windclan

Dipping her sponge in the bucket near her legs, Alice looked up. "Well, he isn't in as much pain as he was in last night before surgery." Dabbing at his bare chest, she looked down again, focusing on her work. "We won't know if the shrapnel blinded him for about a month, unfortunately."

5/25/2010 #10
Star the Foxhound

Virginia nodded, not really wanting to talk about the patient much. She turned to a man lying on a cot next to the one that Alice was treating and got him a cup of water, carefully holding it up to the mans lips. "After I'm done with my shift," she said after a moment, "I'm thinking of walking to the base and visiting my brother. Do you want to come with me? I can introduce you to him."

5/26/2010 #11
SnowClaw of Windclan

At the question, Alice paused and looked up abruptly. I can't leave. Even if my shift's over, there are twice as many wounded men today. She finished washing the soldier and reached for the towel next to her bucket. "Virginia, I would like to meet your brother, but I have so much to do today. Will you still be there when I finish everything that I need to do?"

5/26/2010 . Edited 5/26/2010 #12
Star the Foxhound

"Probably." Virginia shrugged and moved over a cot, offering the man lying there water also. "I haven't made it down there for a few days, so I want to make today count. Sidney and I are both busy, so we don't see each other as often as we'd like. The war's changed a lot."

5/26/2010 #13
SnowClaw of Windclan

Alice listened in silence, carefully removing her patient's bedpan from beneath the mess of sheets. If he'd been able to, the soldier would see her emptying the u*** with a 'saintly' and stoic expression, even though it turned her stomach for some reason that she couldn't explain. Alice put the empty pan back and glanced up. "I can take the rest of your patients, Virginia. I'll meet you at the base as soon as I'm done."

5/26/2010 . Edited 5/26/2010 #14
Star the Foxhound

Virginia stared at her in surprise. "But we're busy, I don't want to leave you with too much work. They are my patients after all, it wouldn't be too nice of me to just leave them to you and take off. I've waited a few days to see him, I can wait a little while longer."

5/26/2010 #15
SnowClaw of Windclan

"It won't take very much time," Alice assured her. While she unbuttoned her next patient's shirt, a few vivid red strands of hair came loose from her bun and hung messily over her eyes. Rolling up her sleeves, she dipped her sponge in the bucket and dabbed at some caked blood. "They only need bathing and routine care. It won't be too much work for me to handle."

5/26/2010 #16
Star the Foxhound

"Are you sure?" She hesitated, wanting more then anything to take Alice up on the offer and spend the extra time with her brother, but also not wanting to over burden the other nurse.

5/26/2010 #17
SnowClaw of Windclan

"Of course. Don't worry about me." Looking up, she ignored the sweat on her brow and spoke to Virginia. "I'll see you later, okay?" It shouldn't take very long for me to finish making rounds. Virginia needs to see her brother, but I don't have anything else that I need to do, so it won't be a problem to help her.

5/26/2010 . Edited 5/27/2010 #18
Star the Foxhound

"If you're sure." Virginia gave one last soldier a drink before she turned to leave the hospital. "Thank you, Alice. I appreciate it."

And with that she was gone in the direction of the base to see her brother.

((To Allies Base))

5/27/2010 #19
SnowClaw of Windclan

After working for an hour, Alice finished the heavy load that she had willingly taken on and left Post Op. Cutting through the center of the medical base, she walked towards the base nearby to meet Virginia, like she had promised.

5/27/2010 #20
The One After Him

TROLL!

Ok, I'm out~

5/30/2011 #21
Forum Moderators: Star the Foxhound SnowClaw of Windclan, Tatianolishka, Irish toaster, R.M.Whitaker, Lee's ghost re-born
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member