The Military Factor
Okay, maggots! What this forum here is for, is the discussion of all things military! Wanna learn about some weaponry? Well come on in! Armor? Got it here! SpecOps or Medieval Knights? We have it! Just read the FPMJ before you post!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Nolonegrusedaccount

Heh, now here's a place where most of you are probably drooling over! This here is the best place to go for all things Martial Arts! Now, I do have one problem with some martial arts in that they seem more akin to prize fighting than real combat! Remember this; rules are for contests! And there ain't a single contest being held in the streets that you wanna abide by the rules in! Especially if it's your life that's the grand prize!

Now, wanna learn about Krav Maga? How about Systema? WELL GET YOUR QUESTIONS OUT IN THE OPEN, RECRUITS!

(Gunny, wherever you are, we thank you for your service.)

11/13/2008 . Edited 11/13/2008 #1
Caecilia

I can't wait to go back to Krav Maga...

I miss it!

I wish I knew a place to do capoeira around here....

Anybody know any fun marital arts that they do?

11/14/2008 #2
Nolonegrusedaccount

Sambo is a great martial art to do if you have the need to get in close with your enemy. It's mainly a wrestling style, but incorperates some different moves to match the situation you're in. It's a Russian MA, and one of two that they have crafted.

IMO, One of the coolest styles out there.

11/14/2008 #3
Caecilia

It sounds familiar, so does Systema.

What's that?

11/14/2008 #4
TheMonomaniacalGoblin

Capoeira is more a dance than anything else, really. The moves can be incoporated into martial arts, because it teaches one to look for weaknesses and empty spots, as well as to attack and defend at the same time. Plus, the training and workout builds core muscles, and, dare I say it- abs in women. Ripped abs.

Capoeira is, by far, one of my favorite. As for Sambo and Systema... er, no idea.

11/14/2008 #5
Nolonegrusedaccount

Systema = The System (Russian meaning.)

It is a MA that was created by the Eastern Orthodox warriors of Russia, and it is basically another wrestling style but with a greater emphasis on rules, such as never fighting for glory and only for survival. It's eally a good MA to take up if you want to be more controlled during a fight.

Although, I also wanted to ask your view on Taekwondo and/or Krav Maga, if possible, Cae!

Maybe say a bit about what their strengths are? Weaknesses?

11/14/2008 #6
Caecilia

I need to build up muscular strength... In PE we're in a weight room now, and geez... Weak!!!

Hmm... Krav, I haven't been goin' for a while. But, it's good for just getting you to get used to moving around with the knowledge of how to defend. Pretty good at teaching you things that you can relate to. The place I go to is good with teaching women how to take down larger men... But, Krav is still evolving, so it's not very static, from what I've seen.

TKD, is good, but so far, we've only practiced and not been able to spar or anything yet. It teaches you good things, but until you hit someone with something, I don't really think you know how effective those moves really are. Good knife disarming stuff. Pressure point info is definitely very, very useful. Teaches you respect, most definitely.

Is that what you're looking for? Or is there something else?

11/14/2008 #7
Nolonegrusedaccount

Good enough, Cae!

And yeah, Krav was never meant to be static. Imi meant for it to evolve and, when a tech. didn't work to drop it and go with something that did.

11/14/2008 #8
Caecilia

Yeah. I like it. The guy that teaches the class most of the time (for me) is an ex-cop. Or maybe he still is one... Nope, pretty sure it's ex-.

But he's used it before. He also was telling us that if we're in a situation where we're not the ones with weapons, not to act like we know how to fight. Use surprise to your advantage.

11/14/2008 #9
Sexymarine

Krav Maga is pretty bad a**. Though Hapkido, and Judo shouldn't be over looked. And jutitsu well it speaks for its self.

11/19/2008 . Edited 11/19/2008 #10
Caecilia

I've heard about Hapkido, but I don't know much about it. Care to enlighten?

11/19/2008 #11
Sexymarine

Hapkido is advanced Tae Kwon Do, it involves more grappling and more deadly moves. Hapkido is more of a combat style then a sport.

11/19/2008 #12
Caecilia

Very cool, thanks.

11/19/2008 #13
Sexymarine

Your welcome.

11/19/2008 #14
Caecilia

In DOA4 Helena has the coolest fighting style. It's very flow-y and graceful. It's called Pia Qua Quan but also spelled Piaguaquan... So I'm not sure what the correct spelling is.

It has an emphasis on palm techniques. Power in most techniques in this style comes from acceleration in the arms, which are in rotation.

11/22/2008 #15
Violent Messiah

"Now, I do have one problem with some martial arts in that they seem more akin to prize fighting than real combat! Remember this; rules are for contests! And there ain't a single contest being held in the streets that you wanna abide by the rules in! Especially if it's your life that's the grand prize!"

Heh...spoken like someone that's never seen a no holds barred thai kickboxing battle.

Perhaps I'm being biased because I'm a student, but I've always felt pure thai kickboxing, and not the watered down stuff that's mostly taught over here, is one of the most deadly arts out there. It emphasizes speed, accuracy, power, reach and utilizes the toughest parts of the body, the ones that take the most damage and have the potential to do the most damage. It's just a very brutal style if done right and set loose. -=x

12/5/2008 #16
Nolonegrusedaccount

I was actually aimming for the crappy MMA groups out there that seem to think they're tough but whose "teachings" would get any real fighter killed in a heart beat.

Pure (Note the Pure) Thai kickboxing is a brutal sport, I'd agree!

12/5/2008 #17
Narc

The U.S. Army has developed its modern combatives program to prepare soldiers to handle combat in the situations they would most likely face. And yes, a lot of the techniques stem from MMA. It's not about becoming a MMA fighter, however. That's not practical. The focus is more on fighting an untrained fighter, though they make you fight people of every size and gender. The tag line they always spout is that the winner of a fight is the one whose buddy shows up first (preferably with a weapon).

At the basic level it mostly focuses on groundfighting. The culminating event is you, the student, getting punched in the face until you achieve the clinch. :)

Higher levels focus on fighting while wearing body armor and later on adds weapons.

2/5/2009 #18
Sexymarine

Personally MCMAP is my favorite its a healthy does of strikes, grapples, holds and finishes (:

2/5/2009 . Edited 2/5/2009 #19
Narc

Personally MCMAP is my favorite its a healthy does of strikes, grapples, holds and finishes (:

So you've been trained in both, then?

2/5/2009 #20
Sexymarine

My cousins a Marine and my uncle was an Army Ranger. They've showed me some stuff.

2/5/2009 #21
Forum Moderators: Nolonegrusedaccount FuckMeAlice
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member