The Military Factor
Okay, maggots! What this forum here is for, is the discussion of all things military! Wanna learn about some weaponry? Well come on in! Armor? Got it here! SpecOps or Medieval Knights? We have it! Just read the FPMJ before you post!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »
FuckMeAlice

Lame title, I know.

Basically, here we talk about first aid and medical procedures outside of hospitals and on the field. Impromptu surgeries, tourniquet techniques, medicinal herbs, CPR and what you'll find in a regulation first aid kit will be covered.

As I know nothing about this except for the wise advice of 'second-degree burns and car upholstery don't mix', I will remain pretty silent throughtout this thread.

11/16/2008 #1
TheMonomaniacalGoblin

Gob is here! Questions, anyone? I feel useful...

11/16/2008 #2
FuckMeAlice

Yeah, I have a question.

How do you treat a burn without speeding to hospital?

11/16/2008 #3
TheMonomaniacalGoblin

CONTENTS OF A BASIC FIRST AID KIT:

Attendant scissors, surgical gloves, antiseptic wipes, sterile telf and gauze pads, adhesive dressings, tweezers, Steristrips (or other wound closures), unscented saintary napkins, various lengths of adehesive tape, cloth triangular bandages, and crepe bandages.

Contents of an Advanced First Aid Kit:

-All materials included in basic, as well as the following: four metal splints, spinal board, parrafin impregnated guaze- dressing, ice pack, sandbags, ASA tablets (for example, Asprin)

Extras and Luxuries:

Razor and blades, thermometres, waterproof, air-permeable dressings, additional cloth bandages,, blood pressure cuff, stethoscope, syring, penlight, finger splints, sterile solutons, forearm splints.

Lifeguards and Instructors should also include:

EMS phone numbers, accident report forms, writing utensils, matches in waterproof containers, falshlights, sunscreen, medical information, quarters for pay phones, pocket knife, and whistle.

(Edited for boldness)

11/16/2008 . Edited 11/16/2008 #4
FuckMeAlice

It's always good to ask a lifeguard in training about this.

Does the actual case in which the kit is contained have to be waterproof?

11/16/2008 #5
TheMonomaniacalGoblin

Right-o. Burns.

That depends on first degree, second degree, or thrid degree. Want to hear about all of them?

11/16/2008 #6
TheMonomaniacalGoblin

RE: First aid kit- It`s best to have a large, metal case designed especially for this purpose. WAterproof would be best, depending on where the kit is located.

11/16/2008 . Edited 11/16/2008 #7
FuckMeAlice

Burns-

Namely second degree. From what I hear, third-degree is pretty deep and requires skin grafts, so I figure if you get one of them, you're screwed.

Thanks for the info on first aid kits.

11/16/2008 #8
TheMonomaniacalGoblin

FIRST DEGREE BURNS are where the damage is right on the surface of the skin (eg, sunburn)... for this, you just have to flush the area with cold water until the heat in the area has subsided.

SECOND DEGREE BURNS affect the upper layers of the skin, so there will be blisters, redness, and swelling. Call EMS if the burn is large (covers about half of the body) or if the victim is a small child or baby. Bascially, you have to maintain an open airway and make sure the victim isn`t going into shock. DON`T apply ice, flush the area with cool water, and apply a dry, sterile dressing. IF THE VICTIM IS GOING INTO SHOCK: maintain body temperature, sit them down comfertably, and reassure them.

THIRD DEGREE BURNS go through the skin, so the muscles, nerves, and bones will be affected. The tissue and muscles will be exposed, and they`ll be probably in shock. You treat this the same as second degree burns, except when flushing the area, don`t allow the stream of water to fall directly on the wound. Instead, direct the stream to a point ABOVE the burn, and let the water trickle down the burned area. You MUST call EMS for a third degree burn. Start CPR if needed (I can give details on CPR if asked later) and apply a sterile dressing on the wound. If fingers or toes are affected, weave the dressing to separate the individual fingers/ toes.

If no sterile dressings are available, use a shirt or pants. Pee on it to make it sterile.

Unless you are a certified doctor, the most one can do is call EMS and give CPR, then treat for shock (treating for shock includes treatment of burn).

(Edited for boldness)

11/16/2008 . Edited 11/16/2008 #9
FuckMeAlice

Wow. Really informative.

Coolies.

What happens when the burn gets infected?

11/16/2008 #10
TheMonomaniacalGoblin

If the burn gets infected, pour a bit of alcohol on gauze, then gently rub the affected area, then continue bandaging. However, if some dried pus is on there, or if it embedded deep, don`t wipe it off. This will take away all the healing the body`s done already, because it heals around the wound. The doctors can take care of the infection later. Most likely, though, if no doctor comes, the burn will probably heal over the pus. That`s fine.

But, the cool water and cleaning should take away most of the germs. In any case, it`s probably going to get a little bit infected.

11/16/2008 #11
FuckMeAlice

Awesome.

(round of applause for Gobs)

Anyone who writes Death Note fanfics about Mello post-explosion, please don't p*** me off with inaccuracy. Look on this thread!!

11/16/2008 #12
TheMonomaniacalGoblin

Thank you for helping me study. (: Yay, everyone wins!

11/16/2008 #13
TheMonomaniacalGoblin

Er, I`m multi-tasking, so I`ll be in and out, but questions will be answered at intervals of 10-20 mins.

CPR, anyone? I saw it up there (points) I`ll take me half an hour to type up all the details, though.

11/16/2008 #14
FuckMeAlice

Sure, we might as well get the basics out of the way.

Jst showing off my knowledge of poisons.

11/16/2008 #15
TheMonomaniacalGoblin

CPR AND RESCUE BREATHING: Assess scene (including bystanders, witnesses) and LOC (level of consciousness). I should probably mention that most lifesaving steps are acronym...ized.

Make sure they`re not sleeping. Shout in their ear and pinch their shoulders. If you were sleeping on a park bench, you wouldn`t want someone performing CPR on you.

Call EMS, check for dangers. (Fire, wire, glass, gas, thugs, bugs, drugs.) Remove any potential dangers.

ABCs: Airway, Breathing, Circulation, Deadly bleeding, Escaping Air.

1. Airway: Lie victim down. Tilt head up and listen for breathing for 10 seconds.

2. Breathing: If not breathing, give 2 breaths and continue to C. If breathing, take their pulse. If they have a pulse, continue to D and E.

3. Circulation: Start chest compressions. Keep arms straight and elbows locked, stay on knees, hovering over victim the whole time. Landmark between the n***, place one hand on top of the other, and perform 30 compressions, then give 2 breaths. Rate of compressions should be about 100 per minute to a depth of 4-5 cm. (so, about 1.5 - 2 inches) If you`re doing it properly, the victim`s ribs might crack. Keep in mind that you`re restarting their heart, so the compressions need to be deep and fast. [One way I remember the pace- anyone know the song Another One Bites The Dust? The compression rate is exactly the beat of that song.] 30 compressions should be done in 18 seconds. Continue compressions until victim wakes up, EMS takes over treatment, or you literally faint from exhaustion.

4. IF, AND ONLY WHEN, THE VICTIM WAKES UP OR IF YOU FIND NO COMPLICATIONS WITH BREATHING OR PULSE: Move on to D: Deadly bleeding- Rapidly pat down their body for major bleeding, and then E: Escaping air. Basically for escaping air, you must keep their airway open, and look for any sign that they`re not breathing properly. If so, re-a*** ABCs.This should only be done when the victim is breathing properly, and their pulse is normal.

Unless the victim is someone close to you , or someone you know, don`t perform rescue breathing or touch their blood without a pocket mask or gloves. Because you could get AIDS or another disease.

I`m open for questions if that wasn`t clear enough. (:

(Edited for boldness)

11/16/2008 . Edited 11/16/2008 #16
FuckMeAlice

Nope. That was perfectly clear. Thanks!

11/16/2008 #17
TheMonomaniacalGoblin

No problem ! (:

11/16/2008 #18
TheMonomaniacalGoblin

SHAMELESS ADVERTISEMENT:

GOBS: OPEN FOR CONSULTANT BUSINESS.

11/16/2008 #19
FuckMeAlice

It would be really depressing if we did such a good job on this forum, but nobody ever came around to visit us. T.T

11/16/2008 #20
TheMonomaniacalGoblin

Which is why we must get it up to the top! (:

Any more questions? Questions?

I wonder if Uke`ll make me the doctor...

11/16/2008 #21
FuckMeAlice

Yeah.

How do you suck venom out of your system?

11/16/2008 #22
TheMonomaniacalGoblin

Suck. Spit. Suck, spit. Then pee on the open wound.

If you swallowed or inhaled the vemon, however, you`d probably have to throw it up.

Edit: U*** is acidic, so even though it`s kind of weird, it helps.

11/16/2008 . Edited 11/16/2008 #23
FuckMeAlice

Yeah, I know about u***.

They used it in WWI to block out the chlorine gas at the Somme in lieu of actual gas masks. Or our guys did at least. The French weren't smart enough to catch on...

11/16/2008 #24
TheMonomaniacalGoblin

Heh. Or maybe they were repulsed by the idea.

Although... the French were the first to eat escargo, so...

11/16/2008 #25
FuckMeAlice

And frog's legs.

We just had a medical-savvy soldier who somehow figured that u*** would block out chlorine gas. I really don't want to think about how people find that out...

11/16/2008 #26
TheMonomaniacalGoblin

Yeah...

11/16/2008 #27
FuckMeAlice

I wonder where Cae is.

11/16/2008 #28
TheMonomaniacalGoblin

She had to leave, I think. To do a Math project.

11/16/2008 #29
FuckMeAlice

Math sucks.

Almost as much as bullet wounds!

How do you treat a bullet wound on the field, Dr. Gobs?

11/16/2008 #30
Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Nolonegrusedaccount FuckMeAlice
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member