The Challenge of Christian Writing
Formerly 'The Challenge of Christian Romance' Now open to all Christian Genres. How do we as Christians portray our beliefs in a loving Christlike manner while still not backing away from the truth? Specific topics devoted to Romance, Fantasy, and Evan
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Lily Among Thorns '98
I should have posted this back when I created this forum, but I didn't, and I am sorry.

In today's sex-consumed media and society, we can easily lose sight of the pure and wonderful love story God has planned for us in our own lives. It can also become difficult as writers to keep our stories in line with God's will and His teachings. Another difficulty we can come upon is if we are trying to reach out to the lost through our writing. How do we write so that it compels them to learn more about Jesus and so that it does not turn them off completely to all things related to Christianity?

This is why I started this forum oh so many months ago. So that Christian writers could discuss among themselves how to better their writing for Christ.

Everyone is free to start any topic as long as they keep all discussions modest and pleasing to God.

May we all continue to write for the sake of Christ,

LAT

8/20/2007 #1
Elizabeth White
Thank you from the bottom of my heart. We do tend to lose sight of what our writing should be about. I am guilty of that. You're a true model of honoring God through your writing. I loved the way you incorperated a difficult subject into His Master Plan and used it to show that God can use anything for His glory and for our benefit.

How do you suggest that we write interesting stories that don't preach to people? Because let's face it, when a person picks up a book or reads a story off the web, they want a good plot, entertainment, and interesting characters. When they're lead to read the bible through that story, it's a bonus.

I just thought of something interesting that I feel I need to type. Why don't we pray for our stories to be read? After all, if they're meant to help others, why can't we pray for them? Of course, that's just me.

8/20/2007 #2
Lily Among Thorns '98
Thanks for the compliment Elizabeth, but please do not put me on a pedestal. I falter many times in my life and my writing. We are all works in progress.

One thing that I've tried in some of my writing is to write about lost people. The story begins and someone is lost they don't know Christ. Throughout the story they are living a sinful life, but I am making sure to keep it clean. I put Christians around the character that may drop subtle tips. I'll have the lost character be curious and ask questions, that way Christians aren't seen as being pushy. The lost characters have some type of tragedy that they aren't able to make it through alone, and they have to trust a supernatural, all-powerful, all-knowing force--Jesus Christ.

That's just something I've tried doing. I'm not sure how well it works. I need to get some feedback from nonChristians to see if they feel preached to or not.

8/21/2007 #3
Elizabeth White
I'm actually trying to do that in my recent creation with a secondary major character. It's still in the outline process, but the story could be okay. I don't want to give any details, just that the main character is a Christian. It will deal wwith a serious issue, but like you, I will try to keep it clean, yet good at the same time.
8/21/2007 #4
Iced Tea Junkie
I don't mean to offend anyone here, but I'd just like to know...what makes Christianity better than other religions? Especially Islam and Judaism. They are all monotheistic, they all have a holy book, etc., etc. Do you view faithful Jews and Muslims as somehow less good than yourselves, or is anyone who shows faith still good? Who are you trying to convert?

And another question. Do you think God and Jesus are the same entity? I thought Christians believed that Jesus was God's voice on earth while he was alive, or is he the new God?

I happen to be an atheist myself, but just because I don't follow a religion, doesn't mean I'm not interested in studying them. They have shaped the history of our world, and continue to shape our present.

Also, please check out my forum "The Afterlife".

8/21/2007 #5
Elizabeth White
So many questions, so little time and so little space. To properly answer your question, Iced Tea Junkie, I personally think a private message or e-mail would be in order, however, I wouldn't want to send it without your permission. You know how to reach me. Just send me a private message saying you want your questions answered and I'll be happy to answer them to the best of my ability. Although I'm no theologian, I have been learning about Jesus my entire life, so I do at least know something about Christianity
8/25/2007 . Edited 8/28/2007 #6
London86

I believe that love, even that between people, can be pure and sensual at the same time. God tells us to love, not lust. If the love between two people is actually lust, then yes, it is something that should trouble you as a Christian. But the stories that people love best in the Bible are usually love stories. Love between two people, as well as romance scenes, is an acceptable and appropriate subject. Whether something as innocent as a kiss or as raunchy as sex, all subjects should be shown in the writing of all religions. We must show the world how to love, not withhold it from others for fear of beign ostracized. The world knows so much about the wrong way to love. Show it how to love truly and honestly. =)

6/24/2008 #7
London86

I believe that love, even that between people, can be pure and sensual at the same time. God tells us to love, not lust. If the love between two people is actually lust, then yes, it is something that should trouble you as a Christian. But the stories that people love best in the Bible are usually love stories. Love between two people, as well as romance scenes, is an acceptable and appropriate subject. Whether something as innocent as a kiss or as raunchy as sex, all subjects should be shown in the writing of all religions. We must show the world how to love, not withhold it from others for fear of beign ostracized. The world knows so much about the wrong way to love. Show it how to love truly and honestly. =)

6/24/2008 #8
massattraction

Why dont you incorpertate that frustration into your romance? Maybe your character is trying to stay pure for the sake of Christ, hence the challenges. And you can still have dating and kissing in there, just not graphic make out sessions and sex scenes,

just write it in a way that it comes of as sweet and love related, rather than lust and physicly related.

8/14/2008 #9
perfectly bemused
Hey, I just came across this forum, and it's nice to know that there are others out there who support clean romances. I'm not sure if anyone ever checks this forum anymore, but if you do, I'm trying to collect stories for my Community: Good Clean Romances. I'm looking for any genre, and any story line, but of course there are rules. No slash, little to no swearing, no over done make-out scenes and no bedroom scenes. Stories should also be plausible in real life. If anyone still checks this forum check it out and make some suggestions. Obviously there has to be a little give and take, but over all the stories are well written and don't make you feel guilty after reading them. Please subscribe the community as well, I need all the help and support I can get! Thanks!
3/1/2010 #10
A Fire Rose

Thanks for this. It drives me crazy when I read a Christian book with a sex scene in it-- even between married couples. I don't need that in my head. As an author of many teenaged characters, some of them have kissed a bit too much before they knew Christ and chose to reserve themselves for one person. And even then, I make the effort to let the reader know that they're kissing, for example, but not go into detail about it. And one usually gets chased by the father with a broom (that would be Rearden in one story). After they know who Christ is, and they realize what He meant marriage for, they tone is down greatly.

2/27/2011 #11
Gogorocketgo

I agree with you about not wanting those scenes in my head. I found if I accidentally read something, or even watch something that is inappropriate, that tends to stick in my head longer than good scenes, so I know the enemy wants to get me with it. Its not about being prude, it's about protecting your gateways into your soul so it does not deteriorate and fall away, which the devil wants. The devil roams around, seeking who he can devour, is a verse that sticks with me and keeps me sober.

That being said, I love romance so very much, and always have, so the battle between what is good to write and what isn't is always one i fight. I am a person who loves fluff, and touchy feely, affectionate stuff, probably because I do not get enough, or any at all, so it is hard to not fall into not safe stuff, especially if its a weakness of mine(weakness because in the past I have written very inappropriate stories when I wasn't a Christian.).

2/27/2013 #12
Empirestv

I think a flaw in the Twilight series (among many) is the constant reminder of abstinence in the story on the part of Edward. He doesn't give any reason for it except that it is a tradition and Bella only goes along with it without really agreeing. So, I think a better way is to not constantly remind the reader they're being preached with abstinence and instead have two characters be a good example. I do find myself conflicted as to whether sexual description should be written in the context of a married couple. Yes, its legit morally for the characters but is it legit to have a reader experience that? I think it can be done tastefully and I think it is better for the reader to imagine what's going on then to be told every specific detail of an episode.

4/15/2013 #13
Isolde Auckley

I do thank you, Lilly Among Thorns, for starting this forum. Writing stories that are at the same time exciting, informative, and pleasing to God is very nearly my goal as a writer. I look forward to implementing some of the words of wisdom from you and others on this forum. I read this some time ago, and then began writing a story, and it has helped my writing immensely. I think what it has done is clarified my goals and given me inspiration for implementing them.

4/16/2013 #14
Lily Among Thorns '98

I like how you say "among many" flaws of the Twilight series. I could go into a huge rant on that series, though trying to figure out which side of the fence I stand might be difficult. Though I read them all, I do not like them. But despite everything that I don't like about the series, I find myself easily able to explain and understand why it is as popular as it is.

But yes, I agree with the thoughts on legit to have a reader experience something. Because for many readers once an image is there, it can be difficult to remove it.

4/16/2013 #15
Forum Moderators: Lily Among Thorns '98
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member