Writing Fiction
A place to discuss various aspects of writing fictional stories as opposed to writing poetry. No spamming and try not to flame. This is a place to ask questions, get answers, get help, find an editor, find beta readers, etc.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
coeurdefurie
Romance scenes are another common problem for many writers. This is the place to post tips, tricks, and ask questions about romance scenes.
11/1/2006 #1
truthordeal
These tips are in my opinion. Others may disagree, that is fine with me.

Well, the first thing to remember is to have enough build up for it, especially if this is like a first kiss thing. If your characters are already dating, then this is less of a problem.

I have no clue how else to say this, but make sure your chapter has characters TALKING. You cannot effectively have a fight scene in the same chapter as a romance scene, most of the time.

Location, location, location! A person's bedroom is a nice setting, but a football stadium might not be. Quietness,(which is a word, according to spell check) solitude and a certain level of tension are necessary to establish an effective atmosphere. I have rarely seen a romance scene that was also comical, although, one of your characters trying to be comical to break the tension at some point may work well if used right.

1/15/2007 #2
Forum Moderators: coeurdefurie
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member