Not So Run of the Mill Science Fiction
Have a story that stretches the boundaries of current Science Fiction? Is it unpredictable and fresh? Do you shy from the neat happy endings that are commonplace in today's fiction? C'mon in, lets share some links and compare notes!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
GarethNelson

Hi everyone, nice to see a forum for "nonstandard sci-fi", as a programmer rather than a writer here's what i'm up to:

I've recently began writing a story inspired by terminator, but with a heavy emphasis on realism. While this might seem to be not so odd, i'll iterate a few ways it is:

The narrator is a friendly AI heavily powered by bayesian methods - hence being "truly born in 1764", that is because bayesian probability is a very widely-used and useful tool in real AI applications and the most likely method that will actually be used in creating strong AI, not silly neural nets

The main antagonists (not yet written, but hinted at) are actually humans, but the opening chapters imply that another AI is the antagonist

At many points, the protagonist is able to make inferences based on very little evidence and predict the future to a small extent, but not in all cases - this provides a source of tension while it tries to find more data

It depicts a "partial singularity", that is - the friendly AI is shut down on the verge of triggering the singularity (for those who don't know the term, do a google on technological singularity), this is because anything that a mere human could write could not by definition describe the world post-singularity. Instead, I describe the world after a cataclysmic event that causes many changes - but none of them are beyond what a human-level intelligence with enough effort could pull off

All computers are essentially real software and hardware from now, with the only advances being those vital to the story: strong AI running on top of farms of linux servers, robots controlled via radio with no local intelligence (it takes a whole server farm to power one AI entity - how the hell could you fit that into a single chip?)

No character names - partly because I am not good at naming characters, but also because they really don't matter to the development of the story and are only a form of tag to assign to a particular entity which may be confusing - there are many John Smiths, but only one John Smith living at $address who is an $occupation

Odd descriptions - given that the narrator is an AI, it speaks in terms of categorisation mainly but still at other times talks like a human, even referring to the programmers that created it as its parents, and the server where it is "born" as a crib

The title is "Mr Pattern", due to the general concept of all intelligent beings essentially being mere patterns of information - our protagonist can live inside of any turing-complete computer system, just as a human mind could exist in any turing-complete computer system of enough power (provided you can scan the brain in enough detail - an event that does not occur in this realism-focused story).

I would very much like feedback on it:

http://www.fictionpress.com/s/2686322/1/Mr_Pattern

6/17/2009 #1
Darwin

A very interesting premise and I will certainly have to put it in my queue to read.

We do have a "Shameless Plug" thread here for you to utilize for touting your wares so to speak...If you could put future plugs in there I would really appreciate it! Thanks!

1/6/2010 #2
Forum Moderators: Darwin dreamshell
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member