Not So Run of the Mill Science Fiction
Have a story that stretches the boundaries of current Science Fiction? Is it unpredictable and fresh? Do you shy from the neat happy endings that are commonplace in today's fiction? C'mon in, lets share some links and compare notes!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Darwin

Being that the other half of my writing lately has been more about supernatural/science fiction, I didn't feel quite right posting news about it on a primarily science fiction thread.

I am creating this for those who, like me, write in more than just the genre of science fiction! So jump on in, share those story links for things that don't fit the basic premise of this thread!

8/3/2010 #1
Darwin

I have a series of Supernatural Science Fiction stories that I've been writing on since about 2004. The basic one is "The Only Half Saga" which actually encompasses three stories:

"Before the Fall" - Smitten by a human, Carmen, an Ancient vampire insists on making him her "one." Only, when her "Renate" joins the brood, he lets her know in no uncertain terms he doesn't have the same feelings for her. There is another consequence of their tryst...she finds herself pregnant...and the child will be a half-blood - a dhampir - taken from her and killed if they find out about it. Thus Cabal comes into the world, an outcast to both the humans and the vampires with which he shares his heritage.

"Redemption" - 125 years after leaving the vampire hunter Corea - his trainer - Cabal arrives at the town of Redemption, on the trail of his now vampire father with the drive to enact his revenge for his mother going mad - for forcing Cabal to kill her in order to save himself. He never expected that he would find anything more than information and a cold shoulder...he ends up finding love for the first time.

"Endgame" - Nearly five hundred and fifty years have passed since Cabal began hunting for his father - and Finally he's closing on the elusive vampire. His talents bring him to the attention of Victor Sierra, a supernatural hunting organization who wants his ability to track for their own purposes. As endgame closes, Cabal finds that revenge doesn't always turn out the way one plans.

A parallel story is "Of Dhampirs and Warlocks" A story that centers around the dhampir Garrett Kelly. His witch mother took a huge chance beguiling the Ancient Meirakat, risking her very life should she be found in order to give birth to a being that would tip the scales of the war in the Witches Coven's favor. Garrett didn't know this until the Ancient began hunting them - killing his mother in a most heinous of ways. In his thirst for revenge he takes an odd turn considering his heritage - he becomes a member of Victor Sierra, an organization dedicated to the eradication of dangerous supernaturals in a post apocalyptic world.

Continuing the Saga is "The Devil's Own" is focused on Dominic, one of 12 half-brothers created for and dedicated to the protection of their vampire father. When a vampire and her dhampir business partner arrive from the United territories, his world gets turned on it's ear. He finds himself questioning his place and his duty. Related to the story but not really an "Only Half" story is "Rise of the Crimson Death" a story focused on Cherlize the vadaryne who is a major player in the happenings in "The Devil's Own."

For bits and insights into the different characters that make up the Only Half Universe, check out "Tales from the Dead Zone," a collection of short stories that are found in between the stories that make up the major arcs.

8/3/2010 #2
Thornton

Nice idea!

I write horror stories on occasion, although right now only one of them is up on FP:

http://www.fictionpress.com/s/2804579/1/Autophobia

It's a post-apocalyptic (sort of) romance that I wrote as a vehicle to work out some ambivalent feelings about getting married. Definitely one of the stories I feel most proud of.

8/7/2010 . Edited 8/7/2010 #3
fantasybookworm2012
I write poetry, fantasy, ( I ghost are supernatural I write that), and some realistic fiction.
1/8/2013 #4
Darwin

Bumping this thread a bit....I know we've gained some new readership (thanks for coming). So if you write in arenas other than Science fiction let us know!

3/21/2013 #5
fantasybookworm2012

A little actually. How did that even happen anyway? It was dead and then all of a sudden a few new people show up. Finally because I was getting bored of rereading the same thing and waiting for responses for awhile now. And you're welcome for coming.

3/24/2013 #6
Svfn

I write mainly science fiction, though I have been dabbling in fantasy and poetry, as well as parody, and have done some physiological fictions in the past.

6/9/2013 #7
Forum Moderators: Darwin dreamshell
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member