Not So Run of the Mill Science Fiction
Have a story that stretches the boundaries of current Science Fiction? Is it unpredictable and fresh? Do you shy from the neat happy endings that are commonplace in today's fiction? C'mon in, lets share some links and compare notes!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Shoob

I'm new to this whole writing thing, but I find it helpful to have some inspiring music playing while I type up the thoughts that collect in my head. I'm wondering if I'm just weird (not an uncommon occurrance) or if others do something similar.

By "inspiring" I mean background music that helps me relax. Personally, I use a mix of goth metal and tracks from a certain British classical string quartet. The melodic mix puts me into something of a meditative trance, weird as it may sound. Does anybody else do something like this?

8/28/2008 #1
Monev11235

I tend to listen to a lot of Synthpop and Metal. Yeah, those don't fit too well together, but... yeah.

8/28/2008 #2
dreamshell

I used to, but only sparingly, then stopped. Recently, I've gotten interested in starting up again to see how it works for me. Most of what's been recommended to me are various metal bands, instrumental stuff, movie and game soundtracks, etc. Other than that, I try and track down songs/bands that might express the same type of ideas I'm trying to portray in a given story. My own music tastes are pretty eclectic, so there's usually a large pool to draw from.

9/4/2008 #3
AccidentalSuicideBomber

I always listen to music when writing or drawing. It helps me focus. Though I mostly listen to ambient techno, dance, electronica, and instrumental stuff from game or anime soundtracks. Sometimes I throw in rock, alternative, or metal. Every once in a while I will throw in a classical piece I happen to like. It all depends on what I'm doing at the time. Like dreamshell, the music I listen to reflects what kind of idea I'm trying to get across. My characters also tend to have "theme" songs, so I listen to those when writing from particular character's viewpoint as an aide to get into their head. I like the reader to be completwely immersed in the character's thoughts and ideas.

9/8/2008 #4
Bruce Pendragon

I have a playlist off of Overclocked Remix that I always listen to when writing. It's not so much a matter of it helping me to focus as the fact that it drowns out the world around me for one thing, and sets the mood for a story for another. Frankly, I don't think I could write without it.

9/11/2008 #5
Darwin

I have written to absolutely no music at all, but more often than not I need some kind of music to drown out distractions (this involves a headset more often than not.

I listen to Linkin Park, 3 Doors Down, Matchbox twenty, Enya, Seal...Country...POP....depending upon my mood. I seem to write best with the LP, 3DD, MT set than with the country or the Pop (IE seventies and eighties pop...Billy Joel...Bee Gees - okay yes I'm old LOL!).

10/26/2008 #6
Jave Harron

I have a pretty international combination of stuff. My favorite is Iron Maiden and Bruce Dickinson. Symphony X and Blind Guardian are also good. Symphonic metal, classic metal, some classic, international (I like J-rock, Canto-pop, Celtic violin, German techno/industrial, and Bhangra), and some videogame soundtracks (Square games, anything by Frank Kleppacki, Shin Megami Tensei and Persona series, and Xenosaga). Listen to weird stuff and ideas will follow. If you don't understand the lyrics, try imagining what they're saying.

10/30/2008 #7
Phantom of the Library

I listen to a lot of stuff in general, but for writing I generally stick to old school techno, trance and electronica. If it's a more somber mood I'll put on something like The Lonely Man, and for fight scenes it's something along the lines of Drowning Pool or Linkin Park.

12/12/2008 #8
Banana Ham

Well, I find that the majority of the music I listen to only works for scenes with lots of action (Drowning Pool, System of a Down, Metallica, Disturbed, Atreyu). It stimulates my ability to make my words more easy to visual somehow. If I have writer's block, music becomes an insane distraction for me. It's a little infuriating at times.

Also, I don't have much in the way of musical prowess lol. I don't listen to a lot of stuff.

10/15/2009 #9
DeathbyGarlic

I like to listen to a good mix of soundtracks and post-rock (along with all the associates sub-genres) while I'm writing. Stuff like 65daysofstatic, Mono, The American Dollar, soundtracks for the latest two Batman movies, Moon, James Bond and various video games. Occasionally some more contemporary music like Cloud Cult, Azure Ray, Deltron, or Modest Mouse will find their way onto my writing playlists.

Really it all depends on what I'm writing. I have my go-to stuff that can apply to almost any story, any character and any situation (such as The American Dollar), but then there is other music I'll choose if I want a specific feeling (Batman for dark, 65daysofstatic for fast-paced and action-packed).

Rarely do I write without music, I suppose it helps to block out other distractions. Sometimes I'll put a movie on the other monitor and have it play in the background though that usually results in me watching a movie and not writing.

12/31/2009 #10
Luis Negron

I just use music that I really like, or has some sort of meaning for me. it must be good to listen to. It really helps me with writing, especially once I reach that time when the music blends into the background and I'm in the zone, pouring out words.

3/30/2010 . Edited 3/30/2010 #11
Endfall

Hi, I'm new here.

Generally, no. Music is far too powerful for me to even try to control it for constructive purposes. I just had an epic case of writers block. One song ended it, just like that. Something like that... You can respect. But you can't touch it. On the few attempts where I have allowed music to direct my stories, it hasn't ended well.

The only exception is where I write soemthing standalone, for the music.

4/4/2010 . Edited 6/1/2010 #12
pen over sword

I do, it clears my mind and helps me write. I listen to whatever comes up on shuffle I honestly dont care. I'm currently trying to teach my sister (Jen) to do the same to help her writing. Her writing is much better with music playing but she subconciously quotes the songs, so I'm helping her there.

Chris

5/31/2010 #13
Yuli Ban

For me, orchestral backgrounds, especially from Mozart, Black Sabbath, Tool, Radiohead, BGM from video games, especially orchestral ones, Gorillaz occasionally, MuteMath, TobyMac, System of a Down, BGM from TV series and movies- again, especially orchestral ones, and others. Often, I use only certain parts of songs, usually parts that bring about feelings and scenes that are

-highly shaded

-well lit

-imagi-gasm

-unusual and interesting

Usually get the ones from most bands from iTunes. Others, like Tool, impossibles from others, and BGMs, I use catchyoutube.com. For example, a few parts of "You" from Radiohead often puts very brilliantly shaded and lit evening or night time scenes, often with Victorian era buildings and lamps in the background, in my head.

"Shibuya" from The World Ends With You soundtrack throws a rather stoic, teknik urban environment through my mind. Speaking of tekniks (which you'll find out about in my story), I also use the Jet Set Radio/Future soundtracks to add a sort of funkiness to keep things hip and colorful, such as a certain city I'm making.

Fast moving rock songs can be used for action scenes; a good one is Innervision from System of a Down; or Sabbath Bloody Sabbath from Black Sabbath.

However, I've found out that sometimes, a good synth song (Sonic Adventure 2, Shadow vs. Biolizard) can create an equally interesting action piece, so I'm looking out to see how different genres can affect the action.

Some trance and dance songs, such as ones from Daft Punk, help keep the future city I'm writing just that- a futuristic city, since I'm trying constantly a retrograde a lot of the environments.

The Dragon Ball Z soundtrack also helps with dramatic or high-tense moments.

Also, some other songs, like Peculiar People from MuteMath gives me inspiration to be diverse- instead of using Americans or Emmurans (you'll see who they are in my story), I'd also use British, French, German, Russian, Japanese, African, Indian, South American, Irish, etc. people.

Typical from MuteMath helps me with the story pilot, since I'm trying to create that "teens break the same; grow up; divide alignments; have kids who do the same" cliche.

Jennifer Knapp, Rachel Lampa, TobyMac, Electric Wizard, and ColdPlay also help with the environments I'm trying to create as well.

James Bond; Perfect Dark soundtracks also add a superspy aspect I've been dying to add as well.

In essense, I use whatever song and genre whenever I need it.

6/16/2010 . Edited 7/21/2010 #14
Jeremy R Walker

I have 200+ hours of music everything from 2Pac to ZZTop and any genre you might think of I just hit the shuffle button

1/25/2011 #15
ladyunelovestreize

I listen to a lot of stuff. Coldplay's Viva la Vida (song not album), Gundam Wing soundtrack, Advent Children soundtrack, Switchfoot, The Rocket Summer, Mercedes Lackey, James Blunt's All the Lost Souls, Nickleback, Train.

4/29/2012 #16
Christopher Garcia

I generally love listening to Orcestral music from either Video Game Soundtracks or Movie Soundtracks. I think if I put them in a list of my favorite ones to listen to it'll have to be.

1 - Assassin's Creed Revelations

2 - Deus Ex: Human Revolution

3 - Battle: Los Angeles

4 - Transformers Prime

5 - Crysis 2

6 - Inception

I feel like each one of them gives whatever I'm writing (or drawing) a sense of emotion and depth that you just don't get from listening to anything else. But that's just my opinion.

8/2/2012 #17
K. Hopkins

I have a lot of musical influences depending on my mood. I really enjoy most pre-1990s music, funk, motown, 80s hair metal, Mad Men and James Bond soundtracks. I also have an impressive collection of 60s lounge music. The movies Tron and Drive have recently made me tolerant of electronica.

My parts in the project I'm working on with Jave called Kids These Days has a recurring theme of musical references. So far I've been putting together a little soundtrack that I've mentioned in it and sets the tone of the story:

21st Century Man - Electric Light Orchestra

This Town - Frank Sinatra

You Only Live Twice - Nancy Sinatra

In The Air Tonight - Phil Collins

She Drives Me Crazy - Fine Young Cannibals

Baba O'Riley - The Who

Soft Cell - Tainted Love

Heat of the Moment - Asia

8/25/2012 #18
K. Hopkins

I have a lot of musical influences depending on my mood. I really enjoy most pre-1990s music, funk, motown, 80s hair metal, Mad Men and James Bond soundtracks. I also have an impressive collection of 60s lounge music. The movies Tron and Drive have recently made me tolerant of electronica.

My parts in the project I'm working on with Jave called Kids These Days has a recurring theme of musical references. So far I've been putting together a little soundtrack that I've mentioned in it and sets the tone of the story:

21st Century Man - Electric Light Orchestra

This Town - Frank Sinatra

You Only Live Twice - Nancy Sinatra

In The Air Tonight - Phil Collins

She Drives Me Crazy - Fine Young Cannibals

Baba O'Riley - The Who

Soft Cell - Tainted Love

Heat of the Moment - Asia

8/25/2012 #19
fantasybookworm2012
I do the same thing. Though the artist I listen to don't fit very well into sci-fi. I listen to Hannah Monatana and Jordin Sparks. But I'm a girl and one of my friends is super girly and had that close enough.
1/1/2013 #20
Forum Moderators: Darwin dreamshell
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member