Melting Pot Tavern
The Melting Pot is a place for authors to test their characters' personalities in a diverse, unpredictable setting.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 26 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 46 .. Last Next »
WinterIsComing
Blythe followed them, determined to stay with Emily in case she started saying things that needed to be left out.
12/21/2011 #1,051
Rainy Day Dreamer
Rob and Charlotte deposited Emily in the care of a masked doctor, nodded at each other, and left, Rob jostling past Blythe's shoulder with unnecessary-seeming force as he did so. He didn't believe what she had said, about having no idea what had happened to Emily. Charlotte paused to leave a note for the police with Katrina, and then went outside, following Rob into the dull orange night. They hid from the rain under the carriage port, meeting Martha there, sheltering a cigarette from the cruel world with cupped hands. Without a word, Charlotte took her own cigarette out from behind her ear, and held it out to Martha, who lit it from her own in equal silence, with the solemnity of any religious lighting of the candles. They stood awhile together, the three of them, breathing in the rain and the nicotine. Then three phones rang in synchronization, and Martha and Charlotte extinguished their fires, and bundled into the ambulance, set off wailing through the dimly-lit rain to the next emergency. --- Back inside, Emily's mumbling had gotten more distinct, but no more comprehensible. The syllables falling off her fevered tongue were the gutteral vowels and steely consonants of her native language, rattling like gunfire through her pale, cracked lips. Her mind flitted from delirium to delirium, but no matter where it landed, she was always in pain, and it was always, always, so cold...
12/21/2011 . Edited 12/22/2011 #1,052
D.G. Weber

((Sorry guys, you know, tis the season? My parents are throwing a huge party, and I volunteered to help. I might not be on much.))

12/21/2011 #1,053
Rainy Day Dreamer
((No biggie, I totally get it. Just today, three out-of-state holiday visitors have come by and left my house. And that's not even counting my grandparents, who came today to stay until the 27th. I love the holidays.))
12/22/2011 #1,054
D.G. Weber

Someone held Blythe back as they rolled her into a room and hooked her up to multiple machines, one with drugs that would make her incredibly sleepy. "We're going to have to wrap her arm in new fake skin. It's a very simple process, but we don't want to introduce germs into the environment. You can wait in the waiting room, or I can get you some scrubs," One of the female nurses motioned to a clean area.

Meanwhile, doctors and nurses were very busily working on Emily's arm: cleaning off the infection, and wrapping it in large pieces of what looked like very thin paper mache.

~~~

Candace meanwhile was poking around the fourth floor again, listening at doors, listening for how many breaths she could hear behind the doors. Nope, there are 5 people in that room. Not this one either. This only has one person, I think. She continued one by one. When she got down to the end of the hall, she mentally recalled the doors that could possibly house Eric, the two girls, and an imaginary friend. There were still too many possibilities. How could she ever figure it out?

12/26/2011 #1,055
WinterIsComing

"Scrubs, please," Blythe said quickly. "I want to be in there with her."

~~~

There was a shriek from one of the room, and Kathleen flew through the door and shut it behind her, laughing breathlessly.

12/26/2011 . Edited 12/26/2011 #1,056
D.G. Weber
The nurse nodded and pulled a clean pair of scrubs from the top of a cart and handed them to Blythe, showing her to the room. "There is a sink, make sure you wash your hands well, and don't forget the booties for your shoes. I'll wait out here to take you back." She left and closed the door behind her.

~~~

Candace let out a small shriek of her own as the girl came flying out in front of her just a little ways down the hall. I guess that's one way, she thought, hand over her heart. She wondered if the girl had noticed her or not. Was it too late to hide?

12/26/2011 #1,057
WinterIsComing

Blythe nodded and slipped the scrubs on over her clothes, moving to the sink to wash her hands.

~~~

Kathleen was still giggling when she turned to look at something beside her. "I got her," she said gleefully to the empty air beside her. "I used the rubber spider just like you said, and it worked!" The girl frowned, eyebrows drawing together as she stared at the empty air. "Are you okay, Vincent? You're bleeding."

12/26/2011 . Edited 12/26/2011 #1,058
D.G. Weber
Candace let out a small, very quiet sigh of relief as she hid beside the ice machine, whether because she realized Katrina hadn't seen her, or because Emily got a piece of Vincent before getting sent to the hospital. She tried to listen harder for Vincent's response, hoping that she could hear him, even if she couldn't see him, knowing full well if he didn't want to be heard, he wouldn't.

~~~

A long beep followed by the nurses pager going off rang outside the door. The nurse knocked on the door. "I'm needed somewhere else. Can you find your way to the room?"

12/26/2011 #1,059
WinterIsComing

"I'm fine, Kat. Don't worry about it," a voice replied, deep and silky with a slight accent.

~~~

"I can handle it," Blythe replied. "Thank you!"

12/26/2011 #1,060
D.G. Weber
Candace gasped and bit down on her hand to keep herself from making anymore noise. She peeked out from behind the corner, just a bit, then pulled her head back, reconsidering. She was afraid she would see him now, too, and if she did make eye contact, they would know for sure she was lying about not believing in imaginary friends. But she had to do something. She made a large loop and came close to the stairs, opening and closing the door with a click. She looked at Katrina in surprise. "Katrina?! What are you doing out of bed at this hour?"

~~~

The nurse nodded and ran down the hall to the room the beeps were coming from.

12/26/2011 #1,061
WinterIsComing

Kathleen glanced up as a dark shape beside her disappeared from view. "Oh, hi Miss Candace!" she whispered excitedly. "I played a trick on Stella, so I'm hiding from her so she won't get me back."

~~~

Blythe quickly washed her hands and ran down the hall to the room where they had taken Emily.

12/26/2011 . Edited 12/26/2011 #1,062
D.G. Weber
Candace had caught the dark shape disappearing and was having a hard time not drawing her eyes to where it had gone. "Well, that wasn't very nice. Does Mr. Eric know what you are up to? He'll be worried if he can't find you." Her eyes briefly flickered to a spot above Katrina's shoulder, nervous, before flitting back, completely normal.
12/26/2011 #1,063
WinterIsComing

"Aww, it wasn't anything bad," Kathleen assured her. "I just put a big rubber spider in her hair." She looked a bit sheepish. "No, Mr. Eric doesn't know, but I'm going back in soon." Her eyes returned to the spot where Vincent had been sitting. "No, it's okay," she assured him.

12/26/2011 . Edited 12/26/2011 #1,064
D.G. Weber
Candace bit her lip as she knelt next to Katrina. "What is okay? Who... are you talking to Victor?" She purposefully messed up the name, hoping to recover her innocent status. After all, she was acting suspicious.
12/26/2011 #1,065
WinterIsComing

"Vincent," she corrected. "He wanted me to ask you a question for him. He's kind of shy and doesn't like to talk to people much."

12/26/2011 #1,066
D.G. Weber
Candace swallowed, barely noticeable, and smiled. "What is it that Vincent wants to know?"
12/26/2011 #1,067
WinterIsComing

"He just wants to know if you saw the ambulances," Kathleen said innocently. "We saw them pull up, and there was an accident in the hall." She paused for a moment longer and nodded. "Vincent said the girl was hurt really badly. I hope she's okay."

12/26/2011 . Edited 12/26/2011 #1,068
D.G. Weber
Candace hadn't excpected it, but had a ready answer until Katrina had finished.

"Vincent said the girl was hurt really badly. I hope she's okay."

Candace's eyes filled with worry before she could stop them. she swallowed again, trying to hide the emotion, before trying to speak. "Yes," she said slowly, "I s-saw the ambulance. I didn't see who was in it though." Her hand had started to shake and she placed it on her lap to hide the fact better as she sat back on her heels. "I hope she is okay too." She looked up at Katrina. "Do you know what happened?"

12/26/2011 #1,069
WinterIsComing

The girl's dark eyes lit up. "Vincent does! He saw the whole thing." She leaned over, cupping one hand over her ear like she was being whispered to before nodding. "He says that the girl made a really stupid mistake and tried to play with fire. She got burnt pretty badly."

12/26/2011 #1,070
D.G. Weber
Candace's fist clenched in anger on her lap, but she kept it covered by her other hand. She tried to keep her emotions down, but it was getting increasingly harder, and she felt Vincent was trying to get her riled up. "Well, you and Vincent know better than to play with fire, don't you?"
12/26/2011 #1,071
WinterIsComing

She nodded seriously. "Of course. That's dangerous, Miss Candace. Nobody should do try to play with fire."

12/26/2011 #1,072
D.G. Weber
Candace nodded and smiled lightly to the girl, afraid to make it look too forced. "I'm glad you know that." Unfortunately, I am not as smart as you, Katrina. Here I am, messing with the same fire that got Emily burned. She stood up shakily. "Do you know anything else? Or want to talk about anything else?"
12/26/2011 #1,073
WinterIsComing

Kathleen shrugged. "Nope, not really." She cast an uneasy glance at the door. "Stella's going to be really mad. I've never heard her scream so loud."

12/26/2011 . Edited 12/26/2011 #1,074
D.G. Weber
"You shouldn't pull such mean tricks on your friends. They don't appreciate it very much." She looked at the door. "Are you two in there alone?"
12/26/2011 #1,075
WinterIsComing

Kathleen shook her head. "No, Miss Madison's in there too. Stella's mom, I mean."

12/26/2011 . Edited 12/26/2011 #1,076
D.G. Weber
Candace's mouth made a little "o" of surprise and her expression lightened a tad bit, no longer on the topic of Emily. She thought for a moment, thinking back to the pool conversation with Eric. "I bet she isn't happy you played that trick on Stella either, huh? Where is Mr. Eric? He's not staying with you?"
12/26/2011 #1,077
WinterIsComing

"I asked her before I did it, and she didn't like the idea," Kathleen admitted. "Well, it's kind of complicated. Miss Madison isn't really Stella's mom yet. She's Mr. Eric's....what's that word Vincent? Fiance? That's it! He's gone to the store to get popcorn."

12/26/2011 . Edited 12/26/2011 #1,078
D.G. Weber
"Oh," she said with understanding, and a hint of disappointment for Vincent's ears. "Are you all going to watch a movie then?"
12/26/2011 #1,079
WinterIsComing

She nodded happily, grinning from ear to ear. "Yeah, I'm excited. My mom doesn't let me watch TV much. She says it rots your brain."

12/26/2011 #1,080
« Prev Page 1 .. 26 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 46 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Qlmmb2086 Mindwarp, Girlbrainiac
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member