Dialogue Play
Having trouble writing a character? Can't quite pin down their personality? Then this is the place for you! Come here and play your character as we put them through their paces. We'll help you find what makes them tick - and have fun while we're at it.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 .. Last Next »
Chasing Skylines

Were they cutting off limbs in there? That scream had not reassured her.

"Ed, are you sure these healers are good?" She placed her palms under her, preparing to stand up.

2/15/2009 #91
karma-dollie

Ed frowned towards the backrooms at the sounds of screaming, but he drew up another smile for Muffy. "They're not just good. They're the best. Some people are simply frightened easily. That's all. Being injured can be scary and some people could be at wit's end with the strange collapse. Were you inside when it happened? You look unhurt, but perhaps you were lucky. You may wish to speak to someone so we can get to the bottom of this."

~*~*~*~*~

Lynn stood behind Hester as she dealt with the patient's double poisoning. Her heart was racing for fear of the words she might hear next. When Hester turned around, Lynn flinched, but realized her action would seem ridiculous and straightened up again.

"Lynny, why are you here? I mean, really. Why are you here? This job requires knowledge, which I know you have, but it also requires putting that knowledge to use. I don't think this is right for you. Maybe you should--"

"No! It won't happen again! I promise, Hester! I promise!"

"A person's life depends on that promise and I don't know if you can keep it. Find the family of this man and then be on your way. I'll give you your pay."

"Please! Just one more chance!" Hester shook her head with a sympathetic glance and walked out. Lynn stood, mouth agape and tears streaming. She rubbed her eyes and regained her composure before going to the waiting area. She looked for the people who had come with this man and spotted one. A tall man beside a girl. She rubbed her eyes once more and approached them. "Hello. My name is Lynn. I cared for the man you brought in. If you'd like to see him, you're--" she sniffed to hold back more tears, "you're more than welcome. He's the second door on your--your right."

She couldn't control herself anymore and ran from the medical center, bawling.

2/15/2009 . Edited 2/15/2009 #92
Chasing Skylines

"Oh, they're not just good, they're the best indeed." Muffy regarded the wailing healer with little admiration. "Can I go visit my uncle, Ed? I wouldn't him to be scared." She didn't wait for his reply, but headed to the second door on the right.

2/15/2009 #93
karma-dollie

Hester, the head healer of the clinic, placed the proper payment for poor Lynn in a pouch and went back to find her. She was sorry to let her go, but Lynn needed to find her proper place. Healing wasn't where she belonged. Hester searched the waiting area and then the backrooms, but Lynn was no where to be found. With a sigh, she returned the money and went to check up on the patient and his family. Hester knocked on the wall to make her presence known to the girl in the room.

"Hello. My name is Hester. I hope you're well. Quite an eventful evening we've had, but we've taken care of everything here. Is this your father?"

2/15/2009 . Edited 2/15/2009 #94
Chasing Skylines

"No, that's my uncle." Muffy sniffed. The night they had spent in the plains with Runida had been cold. "He's not dead, is he?"

2/15/2009 . Edited 2/15/2009 #95
karma-dollie

"No no. Nothing like that at all." Hester's smile was gentle. "Your uncle will be just fine when he awakes in the morning. Perhaps just a little stiff, but he was injured pretty severely." She left out what Lynn had done. "The stiffness will fade quickly and he will be as good as new. Are your parents here to take you home?"

2/15/2009 #96
Chasing Skylines

"Parents? I don't remember who they are. I have only the memory of my mother plunging down a cliff." She didn't dissumulate the truth, or at least, not all of it. "What did the... the lady with frizzy hair do? I didn't expect healers of Cyriel to lose their calm. Was the scream from Uncle Thirry? I'm glad he's okay. Is there a place you want me to wait at again, or can I stay?"

2/15/2009 . Edited 2/15/2009 #97
karma-dollie

Hester opened her mouth, but realized she was struck dumb by the girl's words. She regained herself when the girl described someone that sounded like Lynn. She sighed and shook her head, but brought her smile back.

"Lynn took good care of your uncle. She's just a...well, she's a bit on edge often. A bit different than the other healers here. I'm afraid the louder of the screams came from Lynn. But there is no need to worry. We can set up a cot for you to stay by your uncle until the morning if that would satisfy you."

2/15/2009 #98
Chasing Skylines

"Okay. And yes, I'd like that, thank you." She watched Hester exit the room.

Runida is still at Valmon, her other specter reported. There was a brief flash, of blues and stark whites, a beach and palm trees. The bustling port of Valmon appeared before fading.

Muffy dug the miniature sword replica out from her pockets. "Thirry? Are you awake yet?"

2/15/2009 . Edited 2/15/2009 #99
Kyllorac

Thirry was awake, but he was not happy about it. He ached and itched all over, but the worst part of it was that he lacked the energy to do anything about it. The killer headache didn't improve his mood either, and he wondered if Hester and Muffy could possibly speak any louder...

He managed a pathetic, gurgling "Urgh..." in response to Muffy's question, vowing all the while to make her pay for the discomfort he was going through.

2/15/2009 . Edited 2/15/2009 #100
Chasing Skylines

It wasn't until his pained groans that she remembered the cause of the whole... accident. Muffy coughed. "It's nice to see you're recovering well."

She hid the replica sword behind her back. If needed, she would take the risk of unleashing more energy from the void.

2/15/2009 #101
Kyllorac

"Glarg," was all he could manage, and so Thirilight settled for glaring, entertaining the thought of literally boring a hole through her skull...

The headache obliterated that idea.

2/15/2009 #102
Chasing Skylines

Muffy observed Thirry looking at her with tearing eyes. This would boost the secure feeling the specters gave her; you didn't suffer from inns caving in.

"Glarg? I'm happy you can speak. Well, I'll let you rest now."

2/15/2009 #103
karma-dollie

It was a rough night that involved zero to no sleep. Lynn spent the night crying at her failure to do anything with her life. Sure she was smart, but what good did it do when she couldn't show anyone practically? She returned to the clinic one last time because she left without her money and she would need it to get back south to her parents. She had no where else to stay.

She went to the backrooms and passed by the room she hated most. It was still occupied by her previous patient and the girl. She felt awful for causing the man such pain from her clumsiness. Could she possibly make it up to him and his...whoever she was to him?

"Um, g--good morning." She smiled as cordial as her nervous twitching could manage. "How are you two?"

2/15/2009 #104
Chasing Skylines

Muffy looked at the newcomer. It was the doctor who had fled in tears.

"I am good, thanks. How are you? I heard you took good care of my uncle." She smiled, just as cordial.

2/15/2009 . Edited 2/15/2009 #105
Kyllorac

Uncle?!

He would have to ask Muffy later. For the moment, however, he pretended to be sleeping. Thirilight wasn't in a particularly talkative mood this morning; even though he could move now, every motion hurt, and every muscle in his body ached. As talking would involve moving, he would keep talking to a minimum and plot his revenge.

2/15/2009 #106
karma-dollie

"Oh. Well, I certainly did my best," Lynn said, her cheeks tinging red, but she felt just comfortable enough to take another step into the room. "I'm fine. A little hungry since I haven't eaten yet today. I was on my way to collect my last payment and then I was going to buy some breakfast. Would you--I mean, could I--treat you to anything perhaps?"

She tugged at a strand of blond frizz with jittering fingers.

2/15/2009 #107
Chasing Skylines

"Thanks." She gave a heartfelt, or she hoped so, smile.

"Would Uncle Thirry be able to eat too?" She couldn't have the man dead. He would be necessary in seeking out Runida and the thief.

2/15/2009 . Edited 2/15/2009 #108
Kyllorac

Free food, did she say? But waking up now would be most fishy...

Upon Muffy's question, Thirry felt a wave of magnanimity pass over him. If the girl brought him food, he might be motivated enough to not kill her and merely settle for a maiming. Might. It all depended on how good the food was, of course.

2/15/2009 . Edited 2/15/2009 #109
karma-dollie

"Of course," Lynn said. "What he can eat depends on if he feels up to chewing. The stiffness he will probably feel upon waking should only last a few hours. Perhaps you'd like to come with me. I'm going to the market. The fresh air and walking could be good for you. You wouldn't want to be stiff as well." She laughed and was surprised. She hadn't felt so unburdened in years. Was it because she was fired? Why would that make her happy?

Because I hated it, she thought firmly.

2/15/2009 #110
Chasing Skylines

"That'd be nice. I'll go with you to the market. Bye, Uncle Thirry." She gave a soft pat on his head as a gesture of outward kindness and maybe familial love.

2/15/2009 #111
Kyllorac

"The stiffness he will probably feel upon waking should only last a few hours."

Thank the gods! A few hours he could manage, and he may as well conserve his energy by napping during that time--

His planning was interrupted by a small hand on his head - Muffy. Mustering all his self-control to keep his face devoid of expression and his body relaxed, he opened one eye and glared at the girl, conveying all his pain, fury, and frustration in that one look before he closed his eye once more.

2/15/2009 #112
karma-dollie

Lynn led the girl to the market, passed the rubble remains of the inn that she gave a sad head shake to, and let her pick out whatever she wanted to eat for herself and her uncle. On the way back while eating a sweet pastry, Lyn swallowed a mouthful and asked, "So are you and your uncle traveling from far? I hope you've liked Cyriel...before the inn collapsed of course."

2/15/2009 #113
Chasing Skylines

Muffy gave a derisive smile at Thirilight before shoving his miniature sword against the bed, possibly nicking his skin.

"We came from the western plains. We're headed to Valmon, or wherever Uncle Thirry wishes to go to sell his wares. He sells toys for children, you see? And Cyriel is lovely. The flowers are so ... contrasting with the dry climate around her. The inn collapsing was a sad event. I hope everyone recovers, and the one responsible recieves just judgement." They were soon back at the clinic.

2/15/2009 . Edited 2/15/2009 #114
karma-dollie

As they entered the clinic, they made their way to the backrooms. Lynn bumped into Hester before they got past the first door.

"Lynn, I was looking for you yesterday. Here," she handed over a jingling pouch, "and I'm very sorry, but you must understand--"

"Oh, I understand. Don't worry, Hester. I'll be just fine. You're right. Healing isn't really where I belong, but I'll find wherever that place is." Hester nodded slowly and gave Lynn a quick kiss on the cheek before walking off. Lynn walked inside her last patient's room, but stopped short as the girl's previous statement clicked in her head. "Wait, did you say Valmon? Valmon by the sea? I hope you don't mean to take a boat to wherever you're headed from there. The wind over the coast has been bad for boat travel lately. You'd be slowed tremendously. It'd be faster if you took a land route--" Lynn paused.

"Oh, I'm sorry. Here I am spouting travel advice you may not even want and asking you to breakfast when I don't even know your name. I'm Lynn, in case you couldn't hear past my drivveling yesterday. And you are?"

2/15/2009 #115
Kyllorac

Once Muffy and the second woman left the room, Thirilight felt for the thing that stabbed him. Bringing it into his line of sight, a pang of remorse echoed in his heart - it was his Wordy-locating talisman. Perhaps he had been a tad too harsh in his judgment of Muffy. Although her actions had almost resulted in his death, she had tried to save their lives, and she had kept his talisman safe...

She was also fairly powerful, and having her as an ally would be infinitely wiser than making her an enemy, especially since she seemed a ready ally already.

With a sigh, Thirilight let go of his resentment, bidding adieu to his plans for revenge. With nothing else to occupy him, Thirilight drifted in and out of wakefulness, whiling away the aching hours with dreams and dazes.

When smell of good food wafted into the room, Thirilight awoke from his half-sleep, opening his eyes to survey the room. He watched as Muffy and another woman entered, laden with fresh food, and his stomach growled in anticipation.

Something about the woman felt familiar, her hair in particular, though Thirilight dismissed the sense of recognition when he continued to draw a blank. Before Muffy could answer Lynn's question, Thirilight interjected, "Her name is Muffy. My name is Thirilight."

2/15/2009 . Edited 2/15/2009 #116
Chasing Skylines

"As Uncle Thirry said, I'm Muffy. And no, your advice is welcome. It could help us on our trading trip. Actually, it'd be appreciated if you could come and help us get to Valmon. Right, Uncle Thirry?"

2/15/2009 #117
Kyllorac

"It would," Thirilight said, sitting up and inclining his head in affirmation.

2/15/2009 #118
karma-dollie

"Oh!" Lyn jumped in surprise when the man Thirilight spoke. She nearly lost her second pastry, but managed to scramble a hold of it with her finger tips. "Well, hello Thirilight and Muffy." The girl's name sounded more of a pet's name, but Lynn had no right to comment. It would be rude. "I suppose I could go with you to Valmon. Yes, I think that would be wonderful. I haven't seen the sea in a long time and I miss it. I would just need to pack up my things. I won't be returning to Cyriel afterwards. Is there a place I can meet you when I'm done?"

2/15/2009 #119
Kyllorac

"The stables should suffice," Thirilight stated, leaning back on his good arm. Once Lynn left, he would begin questioning Muffy on the story she'd been spreading... after breakfast, of course.

2/15/2009 . Edited 2/15/2009 #120
« Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Kyllorac karma-dollie, Denizen47, Chasing Skylines, Nicki BluIs
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member